British American Tobacco is one of the world’s leading multinational companies, with brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries.
We are proud that we are consistently among the top 5 companies on the London Stock Exchange.
Our portfolio includes our world-famous Global Drive Brands – Dunhill, Kent, Lucky Strike, Pall Mall and Rothmans – along with many other leading international brands, such as Vogue, Peter Stuyvesant and State Express 555.
Alongside our traditional tobacco business, we are also developing products that offer consumers potentially less risky alternatives to regular cigarettes. Our Next Generation Products are already leading the way in the Industry of vapour and tobacco heating devices. We continue to develop a solid portfolio of consumer solutions which already include well known global brands like Vype, glo and Voke.
Assistant Legal Counsel
Appointment Type: Permanent
British American Tobacco has an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Legal Counsel to join our team in Nairobi.
The Role reports to the Legal Counsel responsible for managing Marketing and Regulations across ECAA, although will be expect also to support the Legal Counsel responsible for managing Litigation, Tax, Trade and IP. The role involves responsibility for supporting his/her line managers in advising the business on all legal matters pertaining to litigation, tax, trade and Intellectual Property, regulations and marketing
- Support the delivery of an effective litigation strategy for managing and reporting all ongoing and potential litigations to senior management and/or external regulatory bodies, as appropriate.
- Support the proactive management of litigation risks in all BAT ECAA entities including by conducting employee trainings and sensitisation programmes, review of relevant company documentation including contracts, processes, standard letters, etc.
- Regularly monitor key developments in the litigation arena, particularly regarding issues that would could directly impact BAT’s operations in the different ECAA markets.
- Support the business’ anti-illicit trade (AIT) plans and activities by reviewing them for compliance with the relevant local laws and BAT policies as well as supporting any proactive review of existing or proposed laws.
- Support the management of BAT’s Intellectual Property portfolio in the respective ECAA markets including by ensuring timely registration or renewal of trademarks and through assisting with the management of any related disputes or litigations.
- Assist with the review of regulatory developments and the compliance of the ECAA markets’ marketing materials with local legislation
- Manage and ensure timely reporting within the BAT Group and externally on all matters pertaining to ECAA litigation, AIT and Intellectual Property.
- Participate and contribute to cross functional business projects and initiatives to assess, monitor and anticipate potential threats to minimize legal risks and ensure achievement of business objectives.
- Execute relevant administrative activities in the LEX Function to ensure the availability of resources, continuous flow of information and updated records.
- Identify and take steps in conjunction with line manager to proactively mitigate and manage any commercial, litigation and reputational risks.
- Develop, train and promote better understanding by ECAA employees and other relevant persons of applicable internal policies & controls and compliance with relevant local laws.
- Support, implement and deliver the strategic plans and objectives of the Legal sub-function in line with the business strategy.
- Continually optimise and build improved systems and processes to proactively manage the BAT’s litigation risk and to drive efficiency and reduce costs.
- Strong candidates should be able to demonstrate resilience, energy, ambition and an ability to multi-task
- A recognized legal qualification through a reputable academic institution and competence in providing legal advice to internal stakeholders. Experience in handling commercial litigation and arbitration matters is an added advantage.
- At least 3-4 years’ experience in a private legal practice at the level of Associate.
- Sound knowledge of litigation and intellectual property procedures & practices, relevant regulatory requirements as well as emerging trends and issues.
- Strong negotiation, written and verbal skills.
- Ability to apply strong strategic, analytical skills and good judgment.
- Collaborative team player with strong negotiation, communication and dispute resolution skills.
View British American Tobacco Salaries
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.