British American Tobacco is one of the world’s leading multinational companies, with brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries.
We are proud that we are consistently among the top 5 companies on the London Stock Exchange.
Our portfolio includes our world-famous Global Drive Brands – Dunhill, Kent, Lucky Strike, Pall Mall and Rothmans – along with many other leading international brands, such as Vogue, Peter Stuyvesant and State Express 555.
Alongside our traditional tobacco business, we are also developing products that offer consumers potentially less risky alternatives to regular cigarettes. Our Next Generation Products are already leading the way in the Industry of vapour and tobacco heating devices. We continue to develop a solid portfolio of consumer solutions which already include well known global brands like Vype, glo and Voke.
Legal Commercial Manager
Job Number: 22078
The Role reports to the Area Head of Legal and aims to proactively manage BAT’s litigation portfolio, Anti-Illicit Trade (AIT) & Intellectual Property across ECAA and to successfully implement and execute the Legal and External Affairs [LEX] Functional strategy and objectives.
The role involves responsibility for advising the BAT entities in ECAA on all legal matters pertaining to litigation, AIT and Intellectual Property while representing the Legal department on the Functional Leadership Teams and other relevant business meetings.
- Maintain and communicate an effective litigation strategy for managing and reporting all ongoing and potential litigations to senior management and/or external regulatory bodies, as appropriate.
- Drive proactive management of litigation risks in all BAT ECAA entities including by conducting employee trainings and sensitisation programmes, review of relevant company documentation including contracts, processes, standard letters, etc.
- Regularly monitor key developments in the litigation arena, particularly regarding issues that would could directly impact BAT’s operations in the different ECAA markets; and sensitise the relevant business stakeholders on the implications and relevant mitigation actions.
- Support the business’ AIT plans and activities by reviewing them for compliance with the relevant local laws and BAT policies as well as supporting any proactive review of existing or proposed laws.
- Effectively manage BAT’s Intellectual Property portfolio in the respective ECAA markets including by ensuring timely registration or renewal of trademarks and management of any related disputes or litigations.
- Liaise with relevant business stakeholders within ECAA and above market to manage the relevant portfolio and brand vulnerability reviews in line with set business plans and objectives.
- Liaise with relevant business stakeholders within ECAA and above market to ensure adequate intellectual property protection for proposed brand launches, product changes or brand migrations before launch in the market.
- Liaise with external counsel in obtaining timely legal advice and support on matters relating to litigation, AIT activities and Intellectual Property as well as management of related engagements with regulatory bodies.
- Manage and ensure timely reporting within the BAT Group and externally on all matters pertaining to ECAA litigation, AIT and Intellectual Property.
- Maintain an effective strategy for the management of external counsel across the various ECAA markets.
- Participate and contribute to cross functional business projects and initiatives to assess, monitor and anticipate potential threats to minimize legal risks and ensure achievement of business objectives.
- Execute relevant administrative activities in the LEX Function to ensure the availability of resources, continuous flow of information and updated records.
- Leadership Accountabilities
- Identify and take steps in conjunction with senior management to proactively mitigate and manage any commercial, litigation and reputational risks.
- Develop, train and promote better understanding by ECAA employees and other relevant persons of applicable internal policies & controls and compliance with relevant local laws.
- Support, implement and deliver the strategic plans and objectives of the Legal sub-function in line with the business strategy.
- Map out external stakeholders pertinent to areas of responsibility and build relationships (i.e. with relevant Government authorities, external counsel / consultants and other third-party suppliers) and build those relationships to optimise effectiveness of legal actions.
- Continually optimise and build improved systems and processes to proactively manage the BAT’s litigation risk and to drive efficiency and reduce costs.
- Effectively communicate and position the scope and importance of this role to the business and functional leadership teams.
- A recognized legal qualification through a reputable academic institution and competence in providing legal advice to internal stakeholders. Experience in handling commercial litigation and arbitration matters is an added advantage.
- At least 3-4 years’ experience in a private legal practice and 3-4 years’ experience in a corporate environment.
- Sound knowledge of litigation and intellectual property procedures & practices, relevant regulatory requirements as well as emerging trends and issues.
- Strong negotiation, written and verbal skills.
- Ability to apply strong strategic, analytical skills and good judgment.
- Collaborative team player with strong negotiation, communication and dispute resolution skills.
- Various Business Leadership Teams and other cross functional teams
- ECAA LEX team
- LEX Centres of Excellence at BAT Headquarters in Globe House
- Various Regulatory Bodies
- Third Party Consultants and Stakeholders
- Appointed External Lawyers
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.