IFC is looking for a dynamic, motivated, and detail-oriented professional with strong communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills to join IFC’s team as an Associate Corporate Governance (CG) Officer to support IFC investments for Africa, based in Nairobi or Johannesburg or Cairo. The Associate CG Officer will be part of a global team of CG professionals and will report to the Lead CG Officer for Africa.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The Associate CG Officer will support various CG activities, as follows:
- Portfolio Monitoring:
- Assist with a structured portfolio monitoring process of the IFC investment portfolio by:
- helping monitor CG actions implemented by IFC clients;
- identifying high-risk issues;
- preparing portfolio reports; and
- helping to follow-up with clients and investment teams.
- Firm-Level diligence:
- Support CG activities in IFC’s investment process by:
- assessing CG risk related to transactions as part of IFC investment diligence;
- helping the investment teams analyze data to form a view on CG practices;
- identifying gaps and make recommendations to address these gaps and enhance the CG practices of client companies; and
- preparing summary reports and presenting findings in respect to CG practices of client companies.
- Firm-Level Implementation:
- Help client companies implement CG changes by:
- providing input for drafting CG policies and procedures;
- drafting or reviewing various CG templates and tools; and
- organizing targeted CG training for company clients.
- Knowledge Management:
- Research and develop knowledge insights, products and tools produced globally and within Africa by:
- supporting or conducting research of CG related themes;
- assisting in the development of CG tools and resources; and
- liaising with the global ESG knowledge management team to ensure the regional team has the most up to date information on CG knowledge products and tools.
- Help conduct various market-level training and advocacy events such as training workshops, conferences, roundtables, and other awareness-raising events.
- Perform other research and administrative duties in support of the CG related activities, as needed.
- Candidates should be an early to mid-career professionals with experience in a field or fields related to CG — including but not limited to accounting and audit, legal, securities and stock market development, management consulting or technical assistance.
- Specifically, the candidates should meet the following criteria:
- Graduate degree in relevant discipline (e.g., Law, Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Audit, or other related discipline).
- Minimum of five years of relevant work experience in CG or related fields, ideally in private sector investment.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of CG principles and practices. Knowledge of IFC’s CG Methodology and associated tools advantageous (www.ifc.org/corporategovernance).
- Knowledge of ESG principles and practices.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and portfolio monitoring.
- Ability to engage with various stakeholders, effective influencing skills and demonstrated diplomacy.
- Demonstrated self-starter with a high degree of responsiveness and proactivity.
- Strong written and spoken communications skills in English with proficiency in French or Arabic considered an asset.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize, deal with frequent unexpected changes, and manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines. Attention to detail a must.
- Good team player with strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, work effectively in and influence a team, and network effectively across boundaries.
- Advanced skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams.
- Ability to travel regularly to and work effectively in IFC client countries.
- Familiarity with investment process and investment due diligence will be considered an asset.
- World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.