The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will involve travel, including to other CIMMYT offices and field operations.
- Design and conduct research to identify and understand barriers to women’s adoption of stress-tolerant maize varieties.
- Based on research findings, develop and test innovative strategies and modalities for improving women farmers’ access to and use of stress-tolerant maize varieties.
- Work with maize breeders and other colleagues to integrate gender into product profiles and regional on-farm trials, including the related collection and analysis of sex-disaggregated data regarding farmers’ varietal and trait preferences.
- Collaborate with value chain researchers to develop and test innovative gender-intentional seed delivery tools in specific market segments.
- Research and promote avenues for integrating effective gender-intentional and gender transformative approaches in R4D, including institutional learning and change through networking and capacity strengthening.
- Publish research findings in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Contribute to mobilization of resources to strengthen gender and social inclusion in R4D.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in social sciences, e.g. sociology, anthropology, feminist economics or related fields from a recognized university and with a strong focus on gender and/or social inclusion-exclusion.
- Strong theoretical and methodological background in research related to gender and social inclusion.
- Minimum 3 years post-PhD relevant experience working with gender/social inclusion-and-agriculture issues in developing countries (experience in sub-Saharan Africa an advantage).
- Strong quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills, with keen interest in and experience with mixed methods (qualitative and quantitative).
- Proven leadership-, interpersonal-, and cross-cultural skills, including ability to work with and motivate multi-disciplinary teams and to develop strong and effective working relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, including strategic thinking and ability to present coherent and convincing analyses to different audiences.
- A high degree of personal organization, the ability to work under pressure, and willingness to travel.
- Established publication record in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Experience with project management, including planning, physical and financial implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation, and reporting, is an advantage.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Problem Solving and Decision Making, Communication, Teamwork and Critical Thinking.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS20117_Associate Scientist – Gender and Agriculture Researcher. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday June 5th 2020. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.