Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Techsavanna has provided a wide range of ICT services and software for Property Management, Project Management, Energy Management and Financial Management in diverse industry and client profiles. In Eastern Africa the firm has offices in Nairobi, in the region the firm comprises of with a total staff force of over 100.
Reference No CID/15
The position holder shall provide expertise in planning and operations of the organizations Database Installations Performance tuning, Capacity planning, and support of ALL Safaricom Enterprise Database (DB) Systems. The databases span from Oracle, MySQL, Microsoft SQL, PostgreSQL, Cassandra and Hadoop related database platforms.
- Agile practices and ways of working, including the use of tools such as Jira & Confluence
- Sharing expertise with Squad members and working cross-functionally to advance the work of the Squad
- Design BCP and HA solutions for critical systems in order to achieve zero downtime during maintenance and failures;
- Monitoring system performance and identifying problems that arise.
- Responding in a timely manner to user-reported errors.
- Protecting the database against threats or unauthorized access.
- Ensuring that the database is adequately backed up and able to be recovered in the event of memory loss.
- Reporting on metrics regarding usage and performance.
- Suggesting changes and improvements for database maintenance or protection.
- Regularly liaising with IT project managers and database programmers.
- Designing databases with both front-end and back-end users in mind
- Identify and implementing Best Practices for Database Administration in Liaise with vendors
Key accountabilities and decision ownership:
- Service Quality Management: Ensure the Database platforms perform within or exceed KPIs, ensure ability of the system to support specific forms of traffic, and to support end user experience. The same should be tracked using SLAs.
- Resolve faults on all systems deployed for containers and container management platforms.
- Escalate to supplier if needed and follow up until resolution
- Quick Turnaround time to resolve emerging threats / issues
- Develop & utilize new products & service acceptance criteria. Active participation in the section to enable team meet sectional and departmental Goals and objectives.
- Have a full understanding of the defined performance indicators, assign tasks, and objectives set.
- BSc Degree in computer science, IT or engineering.
More Details on Experience
- 5+ years’ experience in infrastructure support and/or planning in an environment with mixed Database Variants
- Experience in Nosql databases, Mysql and other OpenSource databases platforms
- Hands on Experience & Certifications in Cassandra, MongoDb, PostgreSQL
- Experience in Oracle RAC, Data guard, RMAN and Engineered systems.
- Experience in Linux/Unix Operating system.
- Database Systems Administration Techniques – understanding of DB Performance tuning on various Operating Systems, good troubleshooting skills, Database Migration and ILM techniques.
- Attention to details and analytical thinking.
- Certifications –OCP, OCE; EXADATA Administration; MSSQL Server Administration; Hadoop Administration; Linux/ UNIX certification
- Cloud knowledge and integration models.
- Strong oral, written, interpersonal communication and leadership skills
More Details on Skills
Working With Others
- Consciously takes steps to make the most of every conversation/interaction
- Identifies people’s needs, interests and motives to be able to influence the decisions they make
- Communicates simply to excite and engage people
- Pro-actively adapts own style and approach to build rapport, and work with others more effectively
- Builds and maintains strong relationships and networks
- Targets effort and resources on high-value, high impact activity
- Focuses on achieving maximum performance and driving continuous improvement
- Thinks about processes and problems cross-functionally and end-to-end
- Uses knowledge of products, technology, process, systems and policy to solve problems
Creativity and Innovation
- Finds creative ways to exploit opportunities and solve problems
- Takes risks and pushes what is possible
- Experiments with unorthodox approaches
- Uses data and research to make decisions that are competitively and financially robust
- Balances current and future needs
- Thinks and acts like an owner of the business
- Acts in line with legal, regulatory, professional and ethical standards
Working With Change
- Responds flexibly to changing situations
- Manages the business and people aspects of change to drive performance
Project and Programme Management
- Defines scope and deliverables in terms of time, cost, quality and business benefit
- Schedules activity and identifies resource needs, dependencies and synergies
- Evaluates progress, mitigates risks and addresses issues
Architecture and Design
- Translates business and customer requirements into technology requirements
- Defines architecture and design of systems and solutions to meet current and future business needs
Service and solution development
- Develops systems, services and solutions to agreed specifications
Testing and Evaluation
- Defines test cases and acceptance criteria based on user requirements
- Reports and interprets test results Assesses the effectiveness of tests and testing tools
Implementation and integration
- Installs, configures, integrates and optimises systems, services and solutions
System, Service and Information Security
- Implements best practice security measures to ensure the integrity and continuity of systems, services and information Monitors security compliance
- Monitors systems and services to identify performance issues
- Diagnoses problems to clarify faults and recommend solutions
- Restores systems and services to normal operation
- Performs routine and non-routine maintenance to keep systems and services running
- Takes action to prevent and minimise the impact of incidents, and improve reliability
If you feel that you are up to the challenge and possess the necessary qualification and experience, please send your resume with your cell phone contact indicating your experience and why you are the most suitable candidate for the role before 17th April 2023, clearly quoting the job title and job reference to the address below.