Section: Hillcrest Preparatory School
Reporting to: Head Teacher – Hillcrest Preparatory School
Responsible for: Head of Junior School, Head of Senior School.
The Deputy Head Teacher is a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) with responsibility for management and leadership of academic planning and outcomes, curriculum development and execution, and Student Inclusion and Welfare. The Deputy Head teacher is an excellent and experienced teacher who is able to provide professional guidance to all stakeholders. He/she is adept in building strong and collaborative relationships with teachers, students, parents and other industry players.
Key leadership responsibilities:
- Raise and maintain, the highest possible academic standards through overseeing all aspects of the School’s academic programme.
- Ensure the efficient organisation and administration of the School’s curriculum and its assessment and reporting procedures.
- Oversee creation and running of the academic timetable and daily cover for staff absence.
- As the School’s designated Child Protection Officer, provide leadership in student welfare issues, including responsibilities for implanting and promoting the safeguarding and child protection policies and procedures within the School.
- Oversee the development and management of internal and external examinations, including timetables, invigilation, grading systems, collation and analyses of results.
- Monitor the standards of teaching and learning throughout the School and constantly review the balance and breadth of the curriculum, and ensure its effective delivery.
- Ensure that departmental handbooks, including schemes of work and policy documents are updated and well understood by academic staff.
- Be aware of relevant national and international educational initiatives and be proactive in implementing new strategies which will enhance the education provided at Hillcrest Preparatory School.
- Liaise with the Inclusion Department to ensure that pupils who are gifted and talented, or who have special educational needs, are appropriately engaged.
- Oversee the effective provision of Curriculum Enrichment opportunities including the co-curricular programme of the school.
- Ensure appropriate policies and training are in place to support all staff in both Academic and Administrative spheres.
- Ensure the smooth running of the student admission process in liaison with the School Registrar and Form Tutors.
- Oversee the induction programme for new teachers in liaison with the Human Resources Department.
- As a member of the Senior Leadership Team act as a role model in the dissemination and practice of school policy, in keeping with the ethos of the School.
- Under the overall direction of the Head teacher, formulate aims and objectives of the School, in the context of the Governors’ strategic framework; evaluating and reviewing the School Improvement Plan; school budget.
- Support the Head Teacher in a range of day-to-day, whole-school leadership and management responsibilities including assemblies, student behaviour, meetings etc.
- Assume other duties which may be reasonably required or delegated by the Head Teacher, from time to time.
The job description will be reviewed regularly and may be subject to modification or amendment at any time, after consultation with the post holder.
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. The post holder’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons, for whom s/he is responsible or with whom s/he comes into contact, will be to adhere to and ensure compliance with the School’s Child Protection Policy Statement at all times.
The application should include a cover letter giving details of relevant experience and leadership philosophy, a detailed CV including names and contacts of three referees, copies of academic and professional certificates, Teaching certificate, and DBS certificate or equivalent. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 28 February 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Hillcrest International Schools is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students; successful candidates will be subjected to thorough screening to ascertain their suitability to work with children.