The main purpose of the role:
To head CIFF's operations in Burkina Faso initially and grow a portfolio in collaboration with the Africa leadership team, manage diverse stakeholder relationships to maximise CIFF's credibility in this space; design and execute a substantial pipeline of transformative investments and contribute to the CIFF Africa Strategy and CIFF's global ambition. This role will head a newly formed team that will lead strategic engagement with the government, strategic partners and regional agencies to ensure lasting sustained change.
The Exciting Opportunity:
Following the approval of the CIFF Africa strategy and country prioritisation exercise with key stakeholders, Burkina Faso has been identified as a strategic country for CIFF's investments and layered multisectoral interventions. In partnership and collaboration with the government and partners in Burkina Faso, CIFF will invest in key strategic areas in order to deliver CIFF Africa's three strategic pillars (For Africa by Africa, Resilient Communities and Girl Capital). The Director will lead and drive CIFF's ambition in Burkina Faso.
As a Senior Member of the Africa leadership Team you will:
- Lead on the development and execution of CIFF Africa's expansion plan into Burkina Faso
- Provide up-to-date professional advice to the Executive Team and CIFF Board on related issues to support the development of CIFF strategies, policies and initiatives.
- Provide compelling, consistent and united leadership which creates clarity for all staff and builds a sense of shared accountability for its success and that of the organisation.
- Serve as a central liaison across the organization, representing interests of Burkina Faso to the broader executive team. Foster collaboration and synergy between sectors, helping to improve and adapt systems in a rapidly changing environment.
- Drive and influence key strategic technical relationships with governments, regional bodies (AU, WHO, ECOWAS, EAC and WAHO) and partners to shift policy and deliver the resilient communities strategic goals.
- Drive Thought Leadership on Burkina Faso within CIFF and externally and adding value to the wider ecosystem.
Sector knowledge and profile-building
- Experience and knowledge in at least one of CIFF Africa's sectors including Health, Girl Capital, Climate, Strategic Engagements and Communications, Co-funding and Partnerships
- Drive the development and review of CIFF's priorities in Burkina Faso, to ensure that CIFF is making maximum impact with the resources available.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of CIFF's Africa strategy, and resulting annual planning process, to ensure effective in-year prioritisation of resources and activities.
- Global and continental influencer on Burkina/ Francophone West Africa which translates into actionable advocacy wins.
- A solid understanding of and professional experience in Burkina Faso and within the West Africa Region
Portfolio design, delivery & performance management
- Work with Africa Leadership team and oversee the co-creation with grantees of successful investment proposals and the implementation of high-impact programmes in Burkina Faso. The Director is accountable for ensuring the geographic and political appropriateness of programmes complementing the technical and management direction from Executive Director Africa.
- Provide input to an active pipeline of potential investments aligned with CIFF's Africa strategy, sector priorities and plan.
- Assess the feasibility of investment proposals, using an appropriate range of methodologies and techniques, to ensure they are based on logical and robust conclusions that can withstand scrutiny from the ET and CIFF Board.
- Lead the relationships with the Government of Burkina Faso and Regional Agencies, ensuring that partnerships are politically appropriate and aligned with the Foundation's strategy.
- Conduct regular reviews of investment proposals under development and programmes in delivery, to monitor compliance with agreed due diligence and risk management protocols, ensuring the interests and reputation of the Foundation are appropriately and proportionately protected. Intervene to take corrective action where necessary.
Stakeholder and Partner Management
- Develop and maintain excellent external relationships, acting at all times as a corporate ambassador for CIFF.
- Help build and maintain the organisation's reputation and profile as a professional, visionary, collaborative philanthropy and as a valued partner for achieving transformational and sustainable change in Burkina Faso.
- Develop and maintain beneficial, global networks with governments, private sector, social enterprises, NGOs, other foundations, local civil society and beneficiary-led organisation
- Research solutions that place CIFF at the leading edge of innovation in Burkina Faso.
- Increase the proportion of indigenous organisations in CIFF's investment portfolio in Burkina Faso
- Advice and support colleagues in identifying, negotiating with and managing appropriate programme partners (as required), to enabl
The Talented Individual:
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- A West Africa national/ diaspora who has worked in Burkina Faso and West Africa Countries.
- Educated to masters level or equivalent in a relevant specialism; public health background an advantage.
- Proven ability and experience at the senior leadership level with strong management skills with a background of leading, inspiring and empowering others, plus demonstrable experience of supporting workplace diversity.
- Ability to outline and deliver on a strategic vision, demonstrating analytical and evidence-based decision making and an adaptive capacity to proactively manage change.
- Proven operational abilities as well as the network to manage and deliver complex programmes
- Ability to recruit, lead, guide and influence teams as well as senior management stakeholders and Trustees to effectively execute strategies and deliver impactful programmes.Demonstrable experience in analysis and due diligence; policy, planning and programme delivery, including field experience, all within the development sector.
- Outstanding communication skills using a variety of presentation techniques and the ability to speak and write articulately about Africa programmes and gain credibility with a variety of executive audiences.
- Experience working within government systems including coordinating and communicating with government stakeholders and/or experience influencing the policies of government agencies, private sector organizations or donor organisations
- Excellent written oral communication skills in French and English.
- A self-starter, resilient in anticipating potential setbacks with the ability and pace to change course.
- Passionate about how philanthropy can be used to support Burkina Faso our priority country in West Africa.
- An innovative thinker with a pragmatic and solution-oriented mindset
- Strong partnership-building and influencing skills
- Belief in the importance of evidence-based decision making
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer a generous benefits package here at CIFF that includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Annual leave - 25 days per annum. Increasing by 1 day after each year of service, to a maximum of 30 days.
- Bonus - CIFF currently operates a discretionary bonus scheme.
- Training allowance
- Wellbeing allowance
- Life insurance
- Health insurance
Desired Skills and Experience
- burkina faso
- west africa