Context of the Role
Girl Effect’s Gender team integrates gender expertise into our social behavioural change programming and the way we work as an organisation, from the culture we embody to the policies we create.
We are looking to hire a Gender Manager to join our global Impact team. A multidisciplinary group of experts in gender, research, safeguarding, youth participation and social behaviour change communications.
In this role, you will be responsible for developing and delivering Girl Effect’s global tools, training and policies, applying your expertise and experience to global-level thinking. In addition, you will also support the design and implementation of our global programmes and provide technical support to gender focal points in Tanzania, India and Ethiopia, as required.
A key part of this role is supporting Girl Effect to remain up to date with the latest thinking and evidence in the field of gender. You will be responsible for supporting colleagues to mainstream this best practice thinking to promote positive changes in health, economic empowerment and/or education amongst adolescent girls and young women.
What You’ll Do
- Mainstream Girl Effect’s approach to Gender Transformative programming, including developing and implementing global tools, training and policies.
- Work alongside gender focal points in India. Ethiopia and Tanzania to support programming to be girl-centred and grounded in best practice approaches. Responsibilities could include capacity building, research and developing guidance.
- Lead gender technical support to our Springster programme (social media and chatbot), currently delivering social behaviour change campaigns on sexual reproductive health across 6 countries in West, East and Southern Africa. Responsibilities could include research, content development and, where appropriate, partner liaison.
- Spearhead our global gender mainstreaming and internal learning agenda, including but not limited to monthly newsletters and lunchtime discussions.
- Work with the global Evidence team to undertake research to inform Girl Effect’s programme design and delivery. Responsibilities include literature reviews, tool development and data analysis.
- Support the global MarComms team to develop internal and external communications messaging. Including identifying new opportunities, conducting research and writing blogs
- Manage logistics, agendas and minutes for monthly team and cross-functional meetings.
- Keep up to date with trends on girls’ rights and gender equality for girls across the different geographies that Girl Effect operates, and use this knowledge to advise and update colleagues as needed.
Who You Are
- Degree or relevant experience in gender, human rights, development or social sciences or a similar field.
- Have a commitment to gender equality and an understanding of the specific issues faced by adolescent girls in the sorts of markets where we work.
- Experience in designing and delivering sexual reproductive health and/or economic empowerment programming.
- Experience applying gender transformative approaches to programme design, implementation and/or measurement.
- Experience in conducting and applying research to support practical outcomes.
- Accuracy and attention to detail, even when working under pressure.
- Comfortable taking direction and working without close supervision.
- Strong communication, writing and organisational skills.
- Ability to remain flexible and find solutions to challenges.
- Positive, energetic, can-do attitude.
- A creative and inquisitive mindset.
- Cultural awareness and understanding of the geographies in which we operate.
What Else You Should Know
We are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting impact.