Direct Reports: x 4
Location: Nairobi, Kenya with travel to Somalia, Somaliland and the wider region, as required.
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Role Overview and Responsibility:
The Programme Manager will oversee and manage projects and donor grants ensuring field offices are running smoothly and effectively in compliance with LAW and national obligations including engaging with partners in the regions to ensure the implementation of the programmes and managing the teams. The post holder will perform duties in accordance with the responsibilities outlined below:
- Leadership and Programme Management
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key actors, including governments and partners;
- Ensure projects are implemented in accordance with proposals, budgets, LAW policies, procedures and donor regulations;
- Lead and coordinate policy, research, legal advocacy efforts and identify strategic cases and other legal interventions;
- Ensure that all donor deadlines for reporting and revisions are respected;
- Oversee the programmes in the field, ensuring high quality programming and robust monitoring and evaluation methodologies and that learning is integrated into project design and development;
- Design national strategies and action plans ensuring in line with the LAW global strategy and theory of change; Develop an advocacy strategy and design products that can be shared with both internal and external stakeholders, based on evidence gathered from the programmes;
- Build the capacity of partners, providing them with technical expertise in planning, monitoring, fundraising, M&E and security, safeguarding and other relevant skills;
- Coordinate with LAW’s Senior Management Team, and other programme managers as needed.
- Financial Management and Accountability
- Develop a fundraising strategy to identify opportunities to ensure the sustainability and expansion of programmes in the region;
- Prepare budgets and oversee programme expenditure, ensuring accurate projections of spend and implementation of expenditure plans;
- Ensure compliance with LAW policies and procedures and donors’ regulations.
- Advocacy and Communications:
- Develop the profile and visibility of the programme and represent LAW on national and regional platforms;
- Establish networks with local NGO and Government bodies and participate in coordination mechanisms at a regional level;
- Coordinate and ensure that website and social media content related to the programmes is up to-date and engaging audiences;
- Contribute to LAW’s advocacy tools, including factsheets and the LAW Annual Report;
- Develop and implement a high-level advocacy strategy in line with global priorities that engages national and regional institutions as well as the international community.
- People Management
- Lead the team effectively ensuring high calibre staff are recruited and retained;
- Create an enabling environment for innovation and high performance, ensuring staff are appropriately supervised, develop work plans and engaged in training and development opportunities;
- Coordinate and ensure that programme offices in Nairobi and the region are compliant with all relevant legal requirements relating to employment law as well as health and safety regulations.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications Required:
- This is a national position and only Kenyan citizens will be considered for this position.
- Masters degree in law and/or human rights;
- Qualified lawyer with demonstrated 5 years’ experience in international humanitarian law, human rights law, justice and accountability, criminal law, or refugee law;
- Experience working across insecure or conflict-affected and fragile environments;
- Demonstrated experience in programme /project management, including planning, design, M&E, and budget management;
- Experience in fundraising for legal and protection projects in complex or conflict-affected environments and liaising with donors;
- Proven management skills and experience to lead and motivate a geographically dispersed team;
- Substantive knowledge and experience in implementing legal aid services, working with vulnerable communities and gender programming;
- Proven experience in developing and implementing advocacy strategies;
- Experience representing vulnerable individuals is essential, with experience in cases of sexual and gender-based violence preferred;
- Managing a large, variable workload and meeting tight deadlines;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and strong technical literacy;
- Excellent written and oral required in English, also research and drafting skills;
Terms of Contract
This is a project funded position with an attractive package commensurate offered for the nature of the position depending on the candidate’s skills and experience. Other benefits include: 25 days annual leave per annum, public holidays and health insurance. In addition, great travelling and training opportunities to enhance your professional development. The contract will be renewable on the basis of performance and availability of funds.
Please send an email with a CV and statement of interest (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) in English to email@example.com by no later than 1st March 2021. The subject of the application should read ‘Programme Manager Horn of Africa.’
Only shortlisted candidates who meet the criteria will be invited for interviews.
· LAW is an equal opportunity employer
- Women lawyers with experience representing at-risk clients are particularly encouraged to apply
- All appointments are subject to satisfactory reference, employment and vetting checks
To learn more about LAW please visit our website: www.legalactionworldwide.org.