Strengthening African Processors for Food Fortification (SAPFF) program aims to improve compliance of Nigerian, Kenyan and Tanzanian food processors to meet national food fortification standards in select staple foods; thereby improving the uptake of essential micronutrients across large portions of the population. The program does this by (1) strengthening the ability of food processors to comply with the national fortification standards, and (2) strengthening the food fortification enabling environment that allows for the healthy, competitive and effective production of fortified foods. The program is supported from partnerships with Partners in Food Solutions, GAIN, BASF and others. The initial program was funded from December 2016 through December 2020 and has received an extension through December 2021 with possibility of a future follow on program.
TechnoServe is seeking a Regional Program Director (RPD) for a Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation funded program. The program is now looking for a new director to lead a one-year extension to continue the impressive progress and initiatives started under SAPFF, as well as support the design and likely involvement for a potential multi-year follow on program. The RPD will oversee program country teams and the regional management unit, be the focal point for donor and partner relations and be responsible for program delivery and reporting. He/She will report directly into the West Africa Regional Director with additional support from TechnoServe’s Food Processing Practice Director, and coordination with local country directors.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
Oversee implementation and management of regional SAPFF program
- Accountable for program delivery - activities and outputs toward achievement of the program goal
- Oversee core activities of customized technical assistance to food processors, delivery of broader sector-wide training to the industry, as well as strengthening the enabling environment of representative government and civil society agencies
- Set annual targets, develop and execute annual work plans, implement M&E plan, lead course correction if needed
- Report to donor and TechnoServe on program progress
- Manage country and regional teams, including a regional management unit to oversee M&E, project finance and operations.
- Develop and execute an annual work plan, implement M&E plan, lead course correction if needed
- Manage project to budget with robust planning and monitoring, including final reporting and capturing of best practices, including gender integration
- Serve as primary liaison with program stakeholders (government institutions, other implementing agencies, businesses)
- Coordinate with government and industry leaders to continue fortification initiatives, play a coordinating and supportive role and to share learnings
- Represent SAPFF program at local and regional stakeholder level - governments, institutions, fortification forums, other programs, etc.
- Foster alignment, coordination and shared learnings with stakeholders
Manage activities to support program expansion:
- Provide input into expansion planning for follow on program that will build on progress, maintain momentum and look to scale impact
- Liaise with TechnoServe’s food processing practice, design teams and with Gates Foundation point of contact on expansion planning and design
- Liaise with Country Managers on contributions towards broader activities – lessons, best practices, etc.
- Advanced degree in related field (Nutrition, Agricultural Economics, Business Administration or other relevant field)
- At least 10 years’ relevant project management experience (e.g., international development programs, donor project management, private sector agro-processing, food security/nutrition programming)
- Ability to represent the program and work at the executive level with ministerial bodies, CEOs and agency directors to build consensus, coordinate efforts and drive the program agenda at the highest level
- Strong market orientation, entrepreneurial and innovative thinker
- Experience managing complex, multi-disciplinary, and challenging field operations in developing countries, Africa preferred.
Required Languages: English
Travel: Up to 50%, frequent local and regional travel, periodic travel to the US
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Verbal and written fluency in English
- Demonstrated capacity to produce high quality reports and proposals
- Previous successful experience mentoring and building capacity of staff, results driven
- Experience leading and managing high caliber multicultural teams, preferably some experience with managing remotely
- Demonstrated skills in problem solving, consensus building, and coordination of diverse stakeholders