The Renewable Energy Specialist will provide support to the Greening & Sustainability Team which is part of the Global Mobility and Infrastructure Service (GMIS) within the Division of Financial and Administrative Management (DFAM). DFAM contributes to safeguarding the financial resources entrusted to UNHCR by maintaining and improving the financial and administrative systems, policies and procedures and promoting cost-effective and transparent use of these resources. GMIS is a new service within DFAM which merges four functions: global fleet management, global travel, global facilities management and global asset management. Greening & Sustainability is one of GMIS main cross-functional areas
The Renewable Energy Specialist will focus mainly on supporting the Greening & Sustainability Team in the Green Box project by supporting the conduction of energy audits and development of energy-related business cases of UNHCR offices.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide project management support in designing, organizing and supporting operations in carrying out energy audits of UNHCR offices;
- Analyze results for each office and support offices in finding office-specific solutions for improving energy consumption;
- Coordinate with development and private sector actors to identify sustainable and renewable energy sources to reduce GHG emissions and enhance office energy security;
- Create a business case template and support in assisting operations in preparing business cases and clear project plan with milestones for either group of offices or on a case by case basis, for minimizing UNHCR environmental impact;
- Coordinate and support UNHCR offices in efficient data collection and continuously improve data collection processes and documents to incorporate experience gained to order to further improve data collection, reduce transaction costs and minimize assessment inconsistencies;
- Provide technical support to the Greening & Sustainability Team and help facilitate discussion with UNHCR colleagues and partners in developing project proposals and implementation arrangements to address environmental needs within the framework of UNHCR policies, procedures and guidelines;
- Ensure compliance of UNHCR policy guidelines and Greening & Sustainability strategy as well as with UN-wide methodologies and Greening the Blue targets;
- Liaise internally with Senior Innovative Financing counterparts and GMIS Senior Finance Officer to develop innovative financing approaches relating to identified innovative financing solutions;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Documentation of energy audits conducted of UNHCR offices; draft structure of business case template proposal that can be used for each office; full business cases for defined offices
- Delivery Periodicity, as applicable:
- each working month short summary of work done to be together submitted with invoice, actions required from co-workers and information on the work steps to follow, as well as pending items that need resolution
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
- Academic qualifications: Advance university degree in engineering, electrical engineering, sustainable development studies, economics, business administration, environmental management, energy technology, or relevant fields.
- Experience: A minimum of six years relevant professional experience in a private sector energy provider, management consulting or auditor/consulting firm; investment firm or social enterprise with energy/infrastructure focus; or UN/humanitarian/development agency working directly on operationalizing renewable energy transitions.
- Familiarity with and professional experience directly related to energy and infrastructure topics or renewable energy systems design, implementation, and monitoring.
- Experience working in humanitarian or global development settings, and/or for the UN or other humanitarian/development agencies preferred.
- Proven data collection, analysis and communication skills.
- Language: Fluency in English required. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
The successful candidate will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and home-based until the Covid situation allows for travel
The consultancy is for six months and the expected start date is 17 January 2021. It is a fulltime role with working hours starting from 9.00am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
Supervisor of the Individual Consultant: project Coordinator Greenbox, Greening & Sustainability Team, GMIS, DFAM