Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide.
ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, f...
In collaboration with the in-country assessment team, and under the supervision of the senior Data/GIS Manager, the Senior Data officer will be responsible for providing support to the design of REACH research. This includes:
- Contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted data management and analysis solutions for REACH research in Kenya, in line with REACH’s relevant research and data guidelines.
- Support as designated by line manager sampling design, creation and management of data collection tools (ODK or Kobo), training on data cleaning and management techniques, support for data analysis set up (specifically conducted in the R environment).
- Contribute to draft research ToRs with a specific focus on sampling, data collection tools, the data analysis plan, as well as data management plan;
- Support the development of qualitative and quantitative data collection tools, ensuring requirements of research cycle/assessment are met;
- In coordination with relevant assessment and GIS officer(s), support construction of quantitative sample;
- Keep track of progress and delays of all assigned tasks throughout the research cycle. Ensure that delays or identified problems are reported by writing and orally in a timely manner.
- Tool design and testing;
- Training of enumerators for primary data collection and technical support during data collection if needed;
- Oversight of data collection, in line with agreed TORs, including data quality checks, cleaning, spatial verification and validation as part of daily assessment checks;
- Ensure that collected data is properly geo-referenced, enabling the production of maps and related products.
- In coordination with relevant assessment officer(s), document all changes in data collection that lead to a modification in the agreed TORs, ensuring that the Research manager, GIS Specialist and IMPACT HQ are informed and agree on the modifications.
DATA MANAGEMENT, CLEANING AND ANALYSIS
- Monitor accuracy of data collected in line with IMPACT’s Data Cleaning Minimum Standards Checklist;
- Cross check data collected in the field, ensure regular updates and solve eventual discrepancies;
- Manage, update and deploy monthly questionnaire;
- Maintain, update and expand R-based systems of data management and analysis for data dissemination and reporting;
- Serve as focal point for statistical analysis and quantitative reporting on assessments.
In collaboration with the in-country assessment team and the Report unit at IMPACT HQ (Geneva), the Senior Data officer will be responsible for producing and/or overseeing the production of products (datasets, dashboards, maps), which comply with IMPACT’s guidelines. This includes:
- In support of the Research Manager or Country Coordinator, as requested, provide regular communication with IMPACT HQ on progress and deadlines for analysis outputs
- Ensure the drafting of timely and accurate data and analysis products (such as factsheets, graphics, web maps, dashboards), which comply with IMPACT’s guidelines;
- Ensure findings are accurately reported given the data collection and analysis methodology planned in TORs.
- Ensure that all analysis outputs are validated by IMPACT HQ before external release;
- When relevant, in close coordination with IMPACT HQ, support the regular maintenance and update of online products;
- Upon the request of the line manager, support in consulting with partners at all stages of research cycle: assessment preparation; data collection; data analysis; review of research products; product dissemination; and lessons learnt;
- After validation by the line manager, represent REACH in relevant meetings/ working groups;
- Follow up on issues identified by partners or during meetings / working groups;
- Promote an active use of datasets and research findings by partners and the broader humanitarian community for their decision making;
- After validation by line manager, present research findings to relevant third parties in order to enhance their use and impact;
- Ensure that all partner engagement and all external relations are clearly documented and communicated with the line manager and relevant colleagues;
- More generally, contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of IMPACT’s mandate, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to other actors.
KNOWLEDGE SHARING AND LEARNING PROCESSES
- Provide content and contributes to lessons learned exercises
DATA CONFIDENTIALITY AND PROTECTION
- The Senior Data Officer will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes, ensuring full compliance with IMPACT’s data protection policy and SOPs. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to IMPACT and its partners, or collected during his/her assignment with IMPACT.
Protection Mainstreaming- Promoting of and adhering to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy and guidelines
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION
- Masters’ degree in a relevant discipline (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Management Systems, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.). Or, Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline with relevant work experience;
- 5 years of experience in Data Science, Statistics, programming or GIS, preferably in a humanitarian context;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Proficient knowledge of R programming language, Python, and other relevant data management software
- Experience with cleaning and analysing large datasets required;
- Strong skills in Excel required;
- Good understanding of various sampling frameworks;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Ability to work independently and remotely;
- Written and spoken fluency in English required;
- Experience with GIS applications such as ArcGIS, QGIS, Google Earth Engine, OpenStreet Map, and/or Tableau is an added advantage
- Experience with Kobo, ODK or similar mobile data collection tools.
Qualified Kenyan Nationals with the required skills are invited to submit their applications by 22/06/2023, 05:00PM to email@example.com with the subject line: Application for Senior REACH Database Officer. Accompanied with:
- Curriculum Vitae (Maximum 03 Pages)
- Cover Letter (Maximum 01 Page)
Cover Letter and CV must be shared as a single PDF document i.e with the Cover Letter being on the first page and CV starting on the next page, detailing 03 work referees and their day time contacts. Please do not attach any other documents while sending your application. If required they will be requested at a later stage.
Applications failing to respect the criteria above will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Review of Applications and Shortlisting will be done on rolling basis and ACTED reserves the right to hire before the deadline.
- ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent(s) in connection with recruitment.