Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Transparency International Kenya (TI-Kenya) is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1999 in Kenya with the aim of developing a transparent and corruption free society through good governance and social justice initiatives. TI-Kenya is one of the autonomous chapters of the global Transparency International movement that are all bound by a common vision of...
Under the guidance and supervision of the Regional Coordinator, the job holder will be responsible for supporting implementation of TI-Kenya projects in the Western Region in collaboration with partners and stakeholders in the region.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
More specifically, the project officer shall perform the below tasks;
- Provide effective leadership to the staff within the region including mentorship, coaching, team building, on-the-job training to enhance employee performance and other leadership interventions**.**
Programme Management & Reporting
- Coordinate, manage and promote TI-Kenya programmes/projects in the Western Region;
- Design and implement outreach initiatives on good governance and corruption prevention in the Western Region;
- Develop and implement strategies for community mobilization and empowerment to enable community groups to promote transparent and accountable institutions locally and nationally;
- Build linkages with county government institutions within the region, national government agencies, independent commissions, and other relevant stakeholders in implementing ALAC, institutional strengthening, policy & legislative advocacy interventions and other TI-Kenya activities;
- Ensure timely adherence to donor reporting requirements;
- Ensure timely submission of project reports, both narrative and financial for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Liaise with the Regional coordinator in defining institutional and programmatic priorities and objectives advised by the regional dynamics;
- Support effective implementation of the TI-Kenya Strategic Plan by implementing plans for the region and reporting accordingly;
- Provide effective support and contribution to national advocacy work, particularly Public Interest Litigation (PIL) work**.**
Coordination, Networking and External Relationships
- Raise awareness on the interventions of the Western Regional Office and TI-Kenya in general to the public and stakeholders in the region;
- Build sustainable partnerships with community groups, county authorities and other development actors in order to ensure that transparency and accountability issues are mainstreamed into local and national social-economic and development programmes;
- Support the coordination of CSOs (good governance coalitions) within the region.
Good Practices & Institutional Learning
- Support the development of learning, networking, and knowledge/content management platforms for Western Region for communication and shared learning;
- Develop effective local community organization resources and learning materials and effective strategies to be used in advocacy work;
- Provide technical support for the development of structured opportunities of institutional learning including project monitoring and evaluation, highlighting success stories and lessons learnt and development of good practices.
Resource Mobilization & Budget Management
- Support mapping of the resource requirements for the regional office and mobilize resources targeting development partners whose criteria match the needs of the region and TI-Kenya;
- Develop proposals and/or concepts for financial support and sustainability of the anti-corruption initiatives in the region. This includes maintaining a well-managed proposal tracking matrix;
- Develop strategies in liaison with the Resource Mobilization coordinating team, for sustainable funding for the regional office and the organization;
- Develop budgets, and monitor project expenditure for the regional office;
- Develop social enterprise and local resource mobilization initiatives for the regional office in line with TI-Kenya interventions;
- Petty cash management for the Regional Office.
Public Communication and Social Media Advocacy
- Write well thought out publishable articles every two months for management’s consideration focusing on devolution and Anti-Corruption generally;
- Maintain an active presence on social media that is interfaced with TI-Kenya’s presence in line with the organization’s social media policy and guidelines;
- In conjunction with the Communications department, initiate and participate in mainstream and social media engagements focusing on pertinent corruption issues and good governance.
- Schedule client appointments, conduct initial interviews and where appropriate provide legal advice, make records of clients’ calls, make referrals, and follow up cases reported to the ALAC;
- Support the production of publicity and awareness materials for ALAC;
- Organize and file ALAC documents and other information relating to the Regional Office;
- Develop project reports and documentation of all ALAC and other TI-Kenya activities in Western Region;
- Provide overall management and compile weekly updates of the ALAC database;
- Continually review the ALAC database to identify and document trends, and develop effective advocacy strategies;
- Establish and facilitate cross-functional and multidisciplinary teams of pro-bono advocates to represent qualified clients in public interest cases on corruption and integrity;
- Identify potential public interest cases from the ALAC case log, research on them and develop multi-pronged strategies of dealing with them, including but not limited to public/strategic/impact litigation.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Law, Human Rights, Public Administration, International Relations, Social Studies, or related field from a recognized university;
- A Master’s Degree in any of the above disciplines will be an added advantage;
- Relevant work experience of 6 years 2 of which should be in a supervisory capacity;
- At least 2 years of demonstrated experience in implementing governance projects and working directly with communities and government officials at county level;
- Computer literacy- Understanding of data entry, basic computer skills and knowledge of databases;
- Proven experience in understanding the anti-corruption legal framework in Kenya;
- Experience and ability to conceptualize, implement and evaluate programmes.
- A person of high integrity that will model TI-Kenya’s core values;
- A strong commitment to the aims, objectives, and values of TI-Kenya;
- Good communication, and presentation skills – verbal and written;
- Good interpersonal/relational skills;
- Good appreciation of advocacy and community engagement
- Shown merit in work performance and results;
- Good report writing skills;
- Ability to multi-task, work within given deadlines/schedules and attention to detail;
- Good analytical and organizational skills.
- Good knowledge of TI-Kenya and the environment in which it operates.
- Demonstrated professional use of social media (Twitter, Facebook among others);
- Must be able to read, write and speak English and Kiswahili fluently;
- Knowledge of Kenya’s governance systems, institutions, and their decision-making procedures;
- Ability to productively interact with different stakeholders and citizens to advance TI-Kenya work;
- Good analytical and project administration skills;
- Ability and experience to conceptualize, implement and evaluate governance and policy programmes;
- A good appreciation of advocacy and community engagement.