The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research Officer to provide technical support to varied projects within the ILRI Livestock Genetics program.
This position will provide technical support to a number of projects including:
The Livestock CRP country priority initiatives in Uganda (MorePork) and Vietnam (Li-chan), the Uganda Pig Genetics project, and the SLICK dairy cattle project in terms of:
- Development and implementation of surveys, both quantitative and qualitative
- Data analysis, synthesis and reporting
- Development of training material, such as that which will be used by livestock keepers or livestock extension officers
- Supporting the production of varied communication products (inclusive of blogs, videos, reports etc.) for varied audiences (in collaboration with ILRI’s communications team) - Ensuring research compliance for the varied activities being undertaken
- Co-ordinating the implementation of activities with our project team members and partners
2. This position will also support resource mobilisation efforts by performing literature reviews and synthesising information around a specific topic or livestock value chain, amongst others
- Master’s degree in a topic related to agricultural and / or rural development, agricultural development economics, agricultural value chains, livestock production, or related field.
- Three years in a related or similar position
- General knowledge of livestock production systems in developing countries, and R4D approaches to strengthen these
- Experience in the design and implementation of participatory surveys, preferably both quantitative and qualitative.
- Experience in designing surveys focused on evaluating the impact of interventions an advantage.
- Experience in analysis, synthesis and reporting of data collected from participatory surveys, preferably both quantitative and qualitative
- Demonstrated ability to produce high-quality written material in English is essential
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team
- Ability to perform desk (literature) reviews on varied topics and produce synthesis reports from these
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Terms of Appointment
This position is at job level HG 13. The position is a One year fixed term contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances
go to method of application »
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a EOHS Officer – Research Compliance to support ILRI in meeting compliance in countries where it implements its research. The job will involve, among other things, reviewing of research related documents and identify research compliance requirements in countries where the research is being implemented.
1.Compliance with requirements for conducting research.
- Review project related documents and determine various licenses and or permits required for each research project and or activity.
- Prepare and compile all the relevant documentation required for successful application of the relevant licenses and or permits for each research project and or activity.
- Make applications for the various licenses and or permits for each project as may be required and follow up to ensure issuance within reasonable time limits.
- Maintain a database for all licenses and or permits for all research projects and or activities and follow up with all stakeholders to ensure full compliance with all the license and or permits conditions.
2.Compliance with requirements for movement of research materials
- Review project related documents and determine various movement permits required for each research project and or activity.
- Prepare and compile all the relevant documentation required for moving research materials and or animals both inter and intra jurisdictions.
- Organise for availability and delivery of samples for analysis to the relevant lead agencies as may be required for purposes of issuing movement permits.
- Organise facility inspections where necessary and ensure facility compliance with the requirements for successful issuance of movement permits.
- Determine and advise applicants on the requirements (HS code, non-commercial invoice, etc) for each category of research materials being moved.
- Make applications for the movement permits for each request for movement as may be required and follow up to ensure issuance within reasonable time limits.
- Maintain a database for all movement permits for all research projects and or activities and follow up with all stakeholders to ensure full compliance with all the movement permit conditions.
3.Research compliance helpdesk management
- Send out notification to stakeholders of project that have reached end of the permit both internal and external.
- Coordinate close of projects where applicable.
- Respond to and or investigate user inquiries, concerns, and issues via phone, mail, and e-mail in a timely and courteous manner.
- Provide appropriate research compliance related technical information.
- Research and resolve complaints related to research compliance, and effectively communicate issues and concerns to all applicable internal staff members.
- Organize and maintain file system for correspondence and other records related to research compliance.
- Prepare research compliance reports and correspondence as needed.
- Manage research compliance daily backups.
- Master’s degree in a relevant Science discipline
- Three (3) years of relevant experience
- In-depth knowledge of regulatory framework in access and movement of genetic resources both within and across countries in line with Convention on Biological Diversity, Nagoya Protocol; Cartagena protocol and Bonn Guidelines.
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, service users, staff at all levels,
- Flexibility in demanding situations
- Good communication and networking skills
- Ability to work within a team and independently
- Ability to work in a systematic and organized manner, with high level of accuracy and attention
- Advanced computing skills including knowledge of word-processing, spreadsheets, database management and MS-PowerPoint, etc.
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya