We are looking for an experienced Security, Safety and Health professional to take on an important leadership role in the Global Corporate Operations Department. With a growing team of over 7,000 staff distributed across 10 diverse locations within Africa and Asia, we understand how important it is to invest in the safety, security, and well-being of our people, and see this role as essential to the success of the organization. To accomplish our goals, you will manage a small team of 4-7 Security Leads across several countries, and report to our Global Director of Corporate Operations.
The overarching goals of this role are to:
- Create solutions to observed operational challenges relating to safety and security issues by guiding implementation through a team of staffers across our locations.
- Design a strategic approach to organisation-level security, safety and health work, and improve organisational policy, structural procedures and on-the-ground responses.
- Coordinate our response to acute emergencies (e.g. staff security incidents or road traffic accidents) or longer-term crises (e.g. global COVID-19 pandemic), recognising that responses to emergencies affecting our staff are important moments in the morale and retention of staff.
- Build Team: Hire and manage a team of in-country security experts who will ensure that our security processes are used effectively, support the roll-out of new projects, and provide security leadership across our locations.
- Build Relationships: Develop strong collaborative relationships across several departments, amongst important in-country leaders, senior leaders in the organisation, and a range of international security partners.
- Educate and Influence Behaviour Change: Use intel communications, internal systems, and trainings to improve staff awareness, education, and behaviour patterns to mitigate risks and improve their safety.
We have a culture of learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are looking for candidates with 5+ years’ of security and project management experience at an NGO, private organisation, or a security consultancy organisation. Candidates who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Passion for operations, building scalable and efficient systems and solving problems in a difficult operating environment.
- Experience managing teams and developing leaders; experience in remote management a plus.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High levels of emotional resilience and emotional intelligence.
- You who combine strong leadership skills with patience and a humble approach to service.
- A willingness to commit to living in East Africa for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track role.
- Experience working in a multicultural workplace in a developing country is a plus.
- Language: Fluent spoken and written English is essential and required. French or Swahili also valuable.
- Travel: 3-months travel per year to our sites of operations. ~6 weeks unplanned travel in response to emergency incidents.
go to method of application »
One Acre Fund is growing quickly – we plan to more than triple our purchasing portfolio in the next 5 years and are spending over $70M on agricultural inputs and life improving goods in 2019 alone. To support this growth, we need to develop a flexible sourcing strategy, set clear and measurable targets, hold the full supply chain team accountable to these bold targets using data, and implement tight controls to guarantee inputs make it to our clients on time and at the best possible price.
We are looking for a Data and Operations Associate to improve our team’s data quality, build more efficient and transparent processes, and lead major cost-saving projects. You will implement major cost-saving and efficiency improving projects with a heavy focus on process automation, reducing redundancies, and better use of data. You will refine and simplify processes, use data to align our systems across the supply chain team, improve our controls environment to prevent over-spend, improve order accuracy to dramatically reduce excess inventory, and justify investments in supply chain operations with visible performance goals.
Specific responsibilities include:
Manage Sourcing Data
Work with the sourcing data team to automate data processes and reports for better visibility into supply chain data across the organization. More specifically:
- Guide the data entry team to enter 100% of data on time – this will require holding the team accountable to ambitious expectations while simplifying and automating data entry processes to reduce the risk of errors
- Manage day-to-day issue resolution and ticket generation for SAP request portal
- Align with cross-department team members to alleviate friction caused by messy data, solve problems and resolve conflict quickly.
Inspire creativity in sourcing operations to eliminate waste
Work with Supply Chain Operations Manager to move creative, data-focused projects forward that improve efficiency. Example projects include:
- Automate processes to reduce procurement lead times and improve process visibility
- Reduce approval touch points in SAP and the portal
- Build bridges with the payments / finance team to ensure payments go out consistently on time
- Manage controls oversight through data sampling and reporting
Supplier relationship management
- Manage new vendor onboarding process
- Oversee supplier relationship management toolkit to ensure vendor profiles are up to date, vendors are being scored after every order, and low performing vendors are being phased out
- Develop and execute supplier scorecard system
Capacity building / Build Team Culture
- Create an empowering environment for staff reporting to you to learn under your leadership and support with recruitment at all job grades
- Create an enabling environment for purchasers to improve their sourcing skills by developing trainings and being a mentor to others
- Support heavily on recruitment by tapping into talent pools to hire top talent for open roles on the team.
We have a culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
You have 4+ years or work experience in an operations or strategic problem-solving role, with exposure to complex project management, process automation, and forecasting. You have an excellent academic background, love data, and are passionate about reducing waste across supply chain operations. Having prior operations or consulting experience is preferred but we’re most interested in whether you have experience solving complex operational problems in a fast-growing organization. You have the following experience:
- You have experience in a demanding, multicultural professional environment, preferably in positions where frequent cross-department collaboration was required
- You have experience in operations, consulting, manufacturing, or supply chain
- You have leadership experience at work or outside of work
- You love working with data and have data analytics and quantitative reasoning skills; Advanced Excel (can maintain complex spreadsheets) required and experience working in SAP is preferred
- You enjoy coordinating with diverse teams – you advocate for your ideas while also being open to other perspectives
- You’re comfortable quality checking documentation without support
- You are passionate about delivering outstanding customer service – you put customers first in all that you do and understand the importance of building agile processes that will best serve your clients
- You are fluent in English (French and Swahili a plus)