SNV Kenya is seeking to engage a qualified and result oriented Project Advisor to fill the position of “Advisor - Enabling Environment & Capacity Building” (full-time). Reporting to the Sector Leader, Energy, the Adviser will be based in Nairobi with frequent travel to the project sites (to be confirmed).
The Project Advisor will take on the day-to-day management of the project activities.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Support the design of a comprehensive awareness raising campaign for the Kenyan biodigester sector, incl. digital tools
- Manage the implementation of the awareness raising campaign over the full project duration (field work, media, digital, etc.)
- Liaison with key project partners and stakeholders at national and county level
- Design a study on the enabling environment for the Kenyan biodigester sector and support consultant in their research and analysis
- Liaise with public and private stakeholders at national and county level on study needs and findings
- Identify and design capacity building activities at national and county level with public and private sector stakeholders based on the findings of the study (trainings, workshops, stakeholder events)
Project management & partner liaison
- Events planning and coordination
- Work closely with Gender Advisor to ensure close coordination with gender strategy
- Engage closely with project lead on day-to-day implementation of SNV’s project activities
- Provide regular reporting within project requirements
- Other tasks may be assigned as required
- At least 10 years’ experience on enabling environment strengthening and policy development
- Relevant degree in public administration , agriculture or energy
- Professional experience in the biodigester sector (preferably)
- Experience in digital campaigns is a plus
- Ability to work independently in challenging environments and geographic settings
- Strong commitment, passion and positive attitude to work
- Strong communication and reporting skills
- Proficiency in MS-Office, Excel and other computer applications for data collection
- Good interpersonal skills, also in dealing with government officials at national
- Ability to work in a team and be self-motivated
- Organised and methodical, with attention to detail
go to method of application »
SNV has been implementing a water programme in the counties of Mandera, Samburu, West Pokot, Baringo, Kajiado, Kitui, Taita Taveta and Kilifi. The overall objective is to ensure community water supply systems in these ASAL areas become better functional ad increase resilient to climate shocks through innovative partnerships with local private sector actors.
SNV is seeking to recruit a strong candidate with an understanding in Finance and experience in WASH financing. The position will be an advisory role - WASH Finance Specialist that will be based in Nairobi but with frequent travels to the eight counties.
- Provide expert financial advisory to improve the functionality and operational functions of water supply system
- Develop and implement practical revenue management and cost reduction strategies under a Public Private Community Partnership (PPCPs) arrangement.
- Implement sustainable Public Private Community Partnerships working frameworks with County Governments and communities in ASAL regions.
- Work closely with local communities to develop local and sustainable solutions that support sustainable and climate resilient water systems.
- Maintain and manage collaborative relationships with community stakeholders and partners.
- Support ASAL counties to identify commercially viable water systems for implementing and adopting PPCPs.
- Undertake financial analysis of water systems and provide turnaround strategies
- Provide business planning support to ASAL Counties/Water Utilities/Private Sector players in developing and successfully implementing PPCP models of managing small and medium sized water projects in ASAL areas.
- Develop capacities of ASAL county departments/water service providers/private sector investors to adopt PPCPs and climate resilient technologies innovations.
- Support water users’ association and rural communities embrace private sector participation models and commercialization principles in water services provision.
- Support ASAL counties to develop and implement and monitoring systems/platforms for community water projects.
- Identify relevant private sector actors to work as operators/managers or technology providers for water systems and link them to counties water departments.
- Willingness to frequently travel to programme regions
- This position reports to the Team Leader
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of Master’s degree in finance, or related fields such as Project Management. OR a Bachelor's degree and at least 3 years of relevant professional experience in the WASH Sector
General Professional Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in WASH development projects, preferably experienced in engaging with community water supply systems and their dynamics.
Specific Professional Experience:
From this minimum of 5 years' the candidate should demonstrate relevant professional experience in the following:
- Strong demonstrable experience in preparing due diligence reports, creditworthiness and credit assessment reports, cost – benefit and financial analysis.
- Strong linkages with WASH private sector actors (operators, banks, equipment suppliers).
- Demonstrated working knowledge on Kenyan water sector development and awareness of various private sector models.
- Evaluating financial statements for correctness and completeness.
- Experience in preparing and presenting business cases to inform financing and investment decisions
- Fluency in both written and spoken English is required
- Excellent presentation skills especially in financial information to key stakeholders, boards etc.
- Experience in providing advisory services, hands-on experience in planning and design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development policies and programmes and establishing inter-relationships among water sector institutions and county and national governments.
- Experience in developing and maintaining strong partnerships and in mobilizing resources.
- Faultless communication skills, both oral and written in English. This role will oversee production of local information dissemination presentations and periodic narrative reports.