APHRC is a leading pan-African research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, that conducts high quality policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues across Africa. APHRC actively engages policymakers and other key stakeholders to achieve measurable policy impacts and ensure decision making acr...
Read more about this company
To this end, APHRC seeks to recruit a Data Scientist to establish an online repository of data and evidence for RELI members. The position will be based at APHRC, Nairobi, Kenya, and may include some travels from the home country to specified meetings in other countries in Africa.
- Facilitating a discourse on data extraction, access and sharing protocols with RELI members, MEL mentors, and the funder;
- Data cleaning and harmonization including conducting all the required consistency checks for data from various partners and studies;
- Creating automated systems for data harmonization and consistency checks;
- Documentation of data sets from various partners according to agreed guidelines on data documentation, archiving and sharing;
- Perform basic and advanced statistical analysis of data;
- Developing an interactive data platform on the RELI website complete with data archiving protocol/architecture, programming the protocols, data cleaning etc.;
- Participate in evidence sharing sessions with select regional bodies to inform regional and global discourses on education and enhance RELI visibility;
- Write technical reports on data issues; and
- Participate in proposal development and review.
Key Competencies, qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree in computer science, statistics, economics, machine learning, or other related technical disciplines;
- At least two years of experience in mining, processing, cleansing and quality assessment of data from diverse studies and organizations;
- Experience in data analysis using STATA, R, SPSS and data documentation software’s such as NESTAR;
- Experience in visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders and the use of relevant data science tools kit;
- Ability to regularly report and synthesize emerging information;
- Good communication, presentation, and teamwork skills.
The appointment will be for a one –year period renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding.
go to method of application »
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Financial posting and recording:
- Coding and posting all transactions into the financial system while ensuring adherence to finance procedures.
- Ensuring payment documents are properly supported and duly approved during posting; this includes checking whether all expenditures have the correct project allocation.
- Enquiring on issues pertaining to the bank accounts from the bank.
- Timely resolutions of bank transactions queries.
- Financial reporting and general finance:
- Ensuring compliance with internal controls and recommending on areas for improvement.
- Providing financial information for planning, budgets and status on program activities; this includes such activities as provision of copies of documents supporting transactions.
- Ensuring proper filing and maintenance of accounting records.
- Providing support for financial transactions for project reporting as necessary.
- Dealing with internal and external parties.
- Preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Payroll fees processing:
- Preparation of field staff fees payments ensuring they are properly approved and supported and processed.
- VAT and Withholding Tax returns filing.
Qualifications, experience and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field;
- Must be a Certified Public Accountant (CPA III) or Chartered Certified Accountant (ACCA) equivalent;
- At least 3 years’ experience working in an international NGO;
- Proficiency in Navision Dynamics;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Strong organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to follow assignments through to completion;
- Ability to meet strict deadlines; and
- Must have a high level of initiative and ability to work independently.
go to method of application »
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit organization that carries out high quality and policy-relevant research on population, health, education and development issues facing sub-Saharan Africa.
- Support the Payables Accountant in ensuring efficient, timely and accurate recording and payment processing in Microsoft Dynamics.
- Assist in developing and maintaining an effective filing, archiving and record keeping system- both paper and electronic.
- Assist in bank reconciliation and verification of the vendor balances in the system.
- Assist in the organization and preparation of biweekly meetings which includes preparation of biweekly reports and taking of minutes.
- Assist in supporting annual audits by retrieving the sampled documents.
- Assist in ensuring proper documentation of payment vouchers and all other supporting documents.
- Assist in the thorough review and verification of all transactions at point of entry by ensuring appropriate purchase order matching, credit terms and adherence to appropriate authorization and budget confirmation and clearance.
- Support in the effective running of daily financial activities of APHRC.
Qualifications, experience and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field; should have graduated in the last six (6) months.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
go to method of application »
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an African-led and Africa-based international research institute engaged in multidisciplinary, evidence-based policy research. Our researchers address important issues and challenges facing Africa in areas such as education, health, population, aging, urbanization and wellbeing. We engage with policy makers in the region to disseminate our research findings to influence policy decisions and improve the quality of life in Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit an Economist to work in its Education and Youth Empowerment unit.
The candidate will work primarily in a partnership project between APHRC and the Center for Global Development (CGD)—a US based organization whose mission is to reduce global poverty and improve lives through innovative economic research that drives better policy and practice by the world’s top decision makers.
- Lead the design of aspects of research projects or research projects in a way that allow high quality economic analyses including costing analyses.
- Design and lead research teams in the EYE unit (this may include coordination/ supervision of preparatory work, data collection, analytical work and reporting for research projects in the unit).
- Support economic analyses and/or costing analyses for various projects in the EYE unit on a need by need basis.
- Contribute to scientific writing, and production of technical reports, journal articles, policy briefs and blogs.
- Liaise with partners and/or collaborators to ensure unit deliverables are met.
- Contribute to the education policy dialogue and sector policy including making recommendations on strategies and policy options.
- Interact with APHRC clients at the funding and policy levels, organize and manage policy development and evaluation papers in collaboration with other researchers and our partners.
- Make significant contributions to global, regional or sub-regional or national signature issue studies.
Experience and skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work in a culturally diverse team.
- Proven sense of initiative, results orientation, team work and leadership qualities, including ability to work effectively across sectors.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak persuasively and to present ideas clearly and concisely to different stakeholders. Should speak and write well in English language; ability to speak and write in French language is an added advantage.
- Experience in education sector knowledge (early years of education, primary, secondary, tertiary education, and private/public education systems).
- Strong quantitative skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting development related issues as well as costing analysis, e.g. cost effectiveness and cost-benefit analysis).
- Demonstrated experience of working with statistical packages (E.g. R, STATA, SAS, SPSS, etc.).
- Experience and familiarity with generating, use and analyzing education datasets – primary/secondary data; small and huge datasets is an added advantage.
- Strong skills in economic analyses of education policies and/or emerging phenomenon.
- Strong practical experience and skills in impact evaluation designs of education and/or youth training interventions.
- PhD in Development Economics or closely related field.
- Good record of publications on relevant areas in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft packages (e.g. MS Word, MS PowerPoint and MS Excel) among other essential packages for a researcher.
Successful candidates may be appointed at postdoctoral level (0-2 years after PhD), Associate Research Scientist (3-5 years after PhD), Research Scientist (6-11 years after PhD) or Senior Research Scientist (12+ years after PhD) levels depending on experience and track record.
go to method of application »
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an African-led and Africa-based international research institute engaged in multidisciplinary, evidence-based policy research. Our researchers address important issues and challenges facing Africa in areas such as education, health, population, aging, urbanization and wellbeing. We engage with policymakers in the region to disseminate our research findings and influence policy decisions to improve the quality of life in Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit at least two researchers to work in its Education and Youth Empowerment Unit.
Responsibilities (dependent on level appointed):
- Provide leadership to scientific research team or project in an area related to education and/or youth empowerment;
- Contribute to policy engagement and the unit’s strategic planning;
- Lead and contribute to proposal development and fundraising for research projects in the unit;
- Mentor junior researchers and facilitate in the Center’s training programs as needed;
- Secure and manage the necessary human, financial and material resources in the unit, project or program;
- Represent the Center at high level national, regional and international forums, including relevant technical working groups and expert committees;
- Contribute to institutional publications including and not limited to lay dissemination materials such as policy/research briefs and fact sheets; and
- Oversee data quality and analyses.
Qualifications and Experience:
- PhD in educational psychology, sociology of education, education administration, education management, economics of education, test and measurement, linguistics, teaching methods in mathematics or a language, comparative and international education, technology education, special education, curriculum studies, policy studies with a focus on education, statistics with application in education, development studies, gender studies, or any other related discipline.
- Experience working in a research institution, conducting research, leading research programs or managing research projects.
- Experience with conducting impact evaluations of education interventions will be an added advantage.
- Must be fluent in English; being multilingual (English and French) will be an added advantage.
- Excellent scientific writing skills.
- Good quantitative or qualitative skills; experience with mixed methods will be an added advantage provided one is very strong in quantitative or qualitative methods.
- Strong proposal writing skills and track record of winning research grants.
- Successful candidates may be appointed at postdoctoral level (0-2 years after PhD), Associate Research Scientist (3-5 years after PhD), Research Scientist (6-11 years after PhD) or Senior Research Scientist (12+ years after PhD) levels depending on experience and track record. The above positions come with an attractive, internationally-competitive remuneration package including medical, travel and life insurance cover. Allowances toward in-relocation (for those recruited from outside Kenya) and dependents' education are also provided. Nationals of sub-Saharan African countries are highly encouraged to apply.
go to method of application »
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an African-led and Africa-based international research institute engaged in multidisciplinary, evidence-based policy research. Our researchers address important issues and challenges facing Africa in areas such as education, health, population, aging, urbanization and wellbeing. We engage with policymakers in the region to disseminate our research findings, influence policy decisions and improve the quality of life in Africa.
The Center seeks to recruit a Research Officer to work within its Education and Youth Empowerment Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop study tools on topical issues in education and skills development, training manuals and field guides to use for data collection;
- Coordinate the recruitment, training and supervision of field team;
- Coordinate field work and be responsible for data quality;
- Mobilize and sensitize education and/or youth empowerment stakeholders about research projects;
- Participate in the development of research proposals, with a focus on education and/or youth empowerment;
- Lead the process of obtaining ethical approval for research projects;
- Conduct literature review and participate in writing scientific papers especially on key issues in education and training systems in Africa;
- Carry out policy analysis on specific issues in education and/or youth;
- Prepare regular field and project reports;
- Participate in dissemination of research findings and policy dialogue with relevant education and/or youth audiences; and
- Prepare policy briefs and fact sheets from the projects’ findings.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in any of the following areas: Education, Economics of Education, Education Psychology, Applied Statistics, Sociology of Education, or related disciplines.
- At least 3 years’ post qualification experience, preferably in education research or education policy analysis setting.
- Good computer literacy and knowledge of multiple statistical and/or qualitative software packages such as STATA, SPSS, NVivo or ATLAS.ti.
- Experience in conducting field research in education and managing research teams.
- Experience in engaging policy makers with research evidence.
- Excellent oral and written communication in English and at least one African language.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, juggle tasks and meet tight deadlines.
Method of Application
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only short listed candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons
Interested and qualified? Go to African Population and Health Research Center on aphrc.org
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.