Micro finance Coordinator (MFC)
Reporting To: Country Director
Base Location: 100% (with frequent visits to FOs)
Responsible for: Credit Officers/ assistants
The Micro Finance Coordinator will be responsible for providing strategic Leadership and Management of the Sharia Micro Finance programme and other related activities in accordance with policies and procedures established by the Islamic Relief management. She/He will proactively participate in the strategic development and delivery of Shalia Micro Finance Programme for socio-economic empowerment of the targeted clients in accordance with IRK’s strategic plan. The post holder is also expected to lead in product development and promotion, provide capacity building and technical assistance to staff, stakeholders and the beneficiaries in micro enterprise, provide leadership in proposal development and, organize the conduction of specialized skill trainings on various identified thematic topics. The Coordinator monitors progress and provide feedback of ongoing activities to the management, proposing adjustments in annual implementation plans according to emerging community needs and priorities. Also She/He is expected to ensure that proper reporting and monitoring system is in place.**
The work to be accomplished shall consist of the following:
- Programme strategy and Planning (10%)
- Provide leadership in developing/ reviewing/updating of IRK’s Sharia Micro-Finance Strategy, in line with Global Strategy, Country Strategy and Annual Business Plans.
- Provide leadership in developing/ updating programme guidelines/policies and frameworks in line with the Government ( Sharia) Micro Finance Framework; including adherence to global and National Standards relating to the programme
- Provide Leadership in programme Research and product Development
- Programme development & Resource Acquisition (25%)
- Ensure development approaches for a self-sustaining sharia micro finance programme.
- Develop/update Programme and product marketing tools and strategies.
- Provide leadership in identification of potential funding sources/donors and plan for engagement meetings
- Lead the funding diversification that supports core interventions and projects for the programme across geographical spread
- Provide leadership in concepts and proposals development (as necessary) for the programme and contribute the programme’s growth.
- To initiate innovative sustainable projects around emerging thematic issues in line with the funding trends.
- Programme Implementation & Management (25%)
- Provide technical support in setting up (from scratch) of the programme systems- processes, procedures, documentation.
- Develop effective and detailed programme work planning, budgeting and financial management processes using best practice tools and approaches.
- Lead in recruiting new clients in visiting and screening them; identifying collection points, adhere to loan appraisal processes; approve all loans disbursed.
- Ensure that the MIS is updated and Portfolio at Risk (PAR) is maintained at an acceptable level.
- Ensure that Client needs are anticipated and met through provision of appropriate products and services via the most suitable channel.
- Conduct a needs analysis to identify Client needs effectively when opening new accounts or giving product advice.
- Provide regular technical support/Backstopping/supervision during programme/projects Delivery processes
- Support programme/Project reviews - drawing key recommendations, lessons, best practices, technical advances etc.
- Provide support in development of third party programme delivery engagement plans & Tool such as MOUs, Agreements, TORs, d
- Financial Management and Budget Control (5%)
- Control and check the programme expenditures against the individual project budgets, this includes the oversight of the work of the Finance Manager.
- At the end of each month prepare a monthly expenditure plan for the upcoming month.
- In consultation with the Finance Manager keep track of the status of the Islamic Relief Kenya, Micro finance bank account operations.
- Provide support to field staffs for preparing annual or longer-term budgets and detailed expenditure plans for all activities within the sector following specified formats for donor-funded activities.
- Work closely with field staff, project partners and Finance Officers to control and verify all project expenditures, and to ensure they are allocated correctly against approved budgets.
- Ensure facility disbursements are made to qualified clients who meet the criteria and pass the screening process by the HQ.
- Programme Monitoring, Compliance, Reporting & learning (10%)
- Lead the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluations plans for the projects in line with the Donor, Programme’ Strategy and internal standards and support measuring of programme and project performances.
- Conduct monitoring visits to collection points as planned at least once to each Loan officer per week to verify client numbers and cross check loan officer’s registers; report on same
- Set monthly, quarterly and annual performance targets and conduct performance evaluations for programme staff along with senior Management as per established guidelines.
- Prepare and assist Management to approve all weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports and budgets for the Programme
- Report immediately any delinquency, cash deficiency and/or any other problems to Management
- Complete regular internal reports fully and on time including monthly financial, outreach and portfolio reports
- Complete all periodic government reports as necessary
- Ensure that clients have access to feedback mechanisms and that data is monitored and responses given within appropriate time periods.
- Assures compliance with all internal policies and procedures
- Assures compliance with all local and national laws
- Capacity Building & team management (10%)
- To ensure timely development of staff JDs, KPOs and recruitment of sector as may be required.
- To ensure effective orientation of new project staff on proper project implementation and follow ups.
- Identify the needs and organize trainings to develop the capacity of programme staff and partners to increase their competence in projects delivery
- To ensure staff appraisals including probation reports, development of clear KPIs by all the staff.
- Networking and Partnership Development (15%)
- Active participation and engagement in and with donors (institutional, UN & IPs) meeting, briefing session, Funding Information Sessions.
- Establish and sustain effective relationship with the Government (National & Counties) and other NGOs for coordination, compliance with regulations & policies and synergy building.
- Represent IRK at all relevant technical forums, Clusters, Workshops and Meetings and contribute to technical interactions and discussions on the same.
- Coordination and collaboration with Support Services Team (5% )
- Jointly work with procurement unit to generate/update precise project procurement Plans at inception and follow its (Plan) implementation.
- Work with procurement unit and Committee to support and provide required technical support during procurement processes of the project activities and interventions relation to the programme
- Work with Finance Unit on project budgets planning, Budget Monitoring/Controls, Risk mapping, and reporting, Audits ( Internal & external), related financial accounting
- Work with HR Unit to Assess the human resources requirements for the programme, skills expected of staff at different levels in hierarchy and assist the Human Resource department in programme staff Management and development
- Work with Communication Unit to provide and generate high quality programme communication materials including documentation of programme works.
- Fulfil any additional assignment as deem necessary by the organization and/or as assigned by Line manager
Education, Qualification and Language
- Post Graduate degree in (Sharia) Micro Finance, ( Islamic) Banking or related course
- Professional course(s) in Sharia/Islamic Micro-finance from approved institutions.
- Certifications by the relevant Sharia/Islamic Financing institutions
- Fluency in English – written and verbal
Essential Knowledge, skills and Experience
- Minimum of at least for five years’ Experience in managing Sharia micro Finance programme in similar contexts.
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS Power Point, MS Project, SPSS).
- Experience in sharia Micro finance programme design and management
· Good managerial and leadership skills, ability to work effectively with people
- Be able versed with the GAP, FACT and BASIS procedures
- Ability to work on your own initiative as well as a part of a team.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to think strategically.
- Excellent Planning, narrative and financial reporting skills.
- Communication, tact and negotiation skills.
- Conceptual understanding of participatory approach and Economic Strengthening Programmes
- Experience of working in North Eastern Kenya and other ASAL areas
- Knowledge of local language- Kiswahili & Somali
- Willing to travel to the remote areas of Northern & North Eastern Kenya
- Sympathetic with aims, values & objectives of Islamic Relief.
go to method of application »
Reporting To: Finance Manager
Staff Reporting: None
To assist in finance related tasks in line with agreed and accepted IR financial practices and procedures.
To maintain the petty cash, Bank, prepare vouchers, record transactions and petty cash reconciliation, get approval and maintain filing.
- Preparation of and vouching of transaction supporting documentations as required by Islamic Relief procedures.
- Writing of cheques
- Issuing cheques to suppliers.
- Ensure all transactions are adequately supported prior to payment.**
- Ensure that all vouchers are well approved
- Reconciling Banks for Garessa Office and also keep updated record for the bank account.
- Recording of petty cash transactions and cash book maintenance. Ensure reconciliation of the petty cash balance daily and to get it approved by the finance officer.
- Preparation of monthly field reports and submits to the finance manager.
- Preparation of monthly funds request and submit to the Country office.
- Bachelor in Business management (finance option) or related field
- At least 3 year experience in procurement management in NGO set-up
- Effective IT Skills (Word & Excel).
- Communication, tact and negotiation skills.
- Problem solving.
- Flexible and patient.
- Fluent in Written and spoken English.
- Ability to cope with stress, and live in environment with very basic living condition
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented (pro-active)
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of IR Kenya
Please send us your cover letter and detailed CV, including your qualifications, experience, names and addresses of three referees, a working e-mail address and daytime telephone contacts. The forwarding e-mail and cover letter must clearly indicate the position title on the subject line. Send your application to [email protected] by Friday 4th December 2020.
Please note that this is an urgent recruitment, shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis.