If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
MPU is a Centre for the Catholic Archdiocese of Mombasa supporting children who have been victims of abuse.
The Centre provides support, advice, information, Advocacy and counseling following the discovery of the nature of abuse.
Play therapy is ideal to children aged 4 to 11 who have been rescued and brought to the Center, whereas counseling cuts across all ages.
The organization is seeking for an outstanding, dynamic and result-oriented individual to fill the positions of a Counselor and a Play Therapist to enable Children to rebuild confidence, alleviate isolation and to assist parents / carers and their children achieve an improved quality of life.
Job Purpose: To reduce confusion and enable the client to cope with challenges, or to make positive changes in their life where necessary.
Reporting: To the Project Officer
Duties and Responsibilities
- establishing a relationship of trust and respect with clients;
- agreeing a counseling contract to determine what will be covered in sessions (including confidentiality issues)
- encouraging clients to talk about issues they feel they cannot normally share with others;
- actively listening to client concerns and empathizing with their position;
- accepting without bias the issues raised by clients;
- helping clients towards a deeper understanding of their concerns;
- challenging any inconsistencies in what clients say or do;
- helping clients to make decisions and choices regarding possible ways forward;
- referring clients to other sources of help, as appropriate;
- attending supervision and training courses;
- undertaking personal therapy (mandatory for accreditation);
- liaising, as necessary, with other agencies and individuals to help make changes based on the issues raised by clients;
- working to agreed targets in relation to client contact;
- undertaking group as well as individual therapy on occasions;
- Keeping records and using reporting tools.
- Diploma level qualification in counseling
- Minimum of two years working experience
- Knowledge of child protection and HIV/AIDS issues in the Kenyan context
- Knowledge if international and national legislation and policies on child protection
go to method of application »
Job Purpose: The play therapist engages with children in order to both diagnose and treat a range of psychological difficulties with the aim of modifying behavior and helping them to build healthy relationships.
Rather than a traditional therapy session, play therapists create activities which enable children to feel comfortable and relaxed.
Reporting: To the project Officer
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assess children for their suitability for play therapy and provide it when appropriate.
- Designs programs of therapy and care to improve a child’s sense of well-being
- To improve children’s self-awareness, and emotional and social abilities
- Develop evidence based practice.
- Contribute to the development of play therapy at MPU
- To evaluate clinical treatment
- To maintain a clinical caseload, 4 clients per day over 3 days, after school provision. Admin time can be flexible.
- To attend team meetings and other meetings as requested by the Project Officer
- Diploma in psychology, counseling or social work
- Specialist training in play therapy
- Period of 2 years work experience with children who have been abused in different ways
Personal Traits for Both Positions
- A committed Catholic with good recommendation from own Parish Priest
- Strong interpersonal and a good team player
- High level of integrity, commitment and professional responsibility.
- Ability to tolerate cultural, educational and religious diversity in the workplace
- Excellent communication skills
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
Method of Application
- If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the criteria given above, please send your application, detailed CV, relevant copies of testimonials, recommendation Letter from Parish Priest and Certificates.
- Your daytime contact and contacts of three referees so as to reach the office of the Human Resource Manager on the contact below not later than 11/11/2016: The Human Resource Manager Catholic Archdiocese of Mombasa P.O Box 84425 – 80100 Mombasa
- Email Address: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org