Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements. Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
Responsibilities for the Research & Development Assistant Job
- Working closely with the BSF production team, analyzing production data, identifying and prioritizing bottlenecks in production, and developing potential solutions
- Conduct literature reviews and compile relevant references for assigned research projects and related topics
- Develop research protocols for laboratory and field experiments for feedstock testing, optimization of egg production, hatching and larvae yield
- Collaborate closely with BSF production team, incorporating feedback into experimental design and provide clear instructions and training on field experiments
- Follow all safety policies and ensure that the required level of occupational health and safety is observed while conducting experiments
- Provide reports and regular progress update on experiments following the standard reporting template including data analysis, interpretation and recommendations
- Take samples and conduct routine laboratory analysis (i.e. moisture, pH, EC, microscopic images) for feedstock, insect samples and end products
- Record data, follow up on field data collection, laboratory results as well as external results.
- Carry out data entry and analysis, update relevant data sheets accordingly and share results with all relevant stakeholders
- Close collaboration within BSF team, across teams and with external stakeholders during site visits and research projects
- Attend all scheduled meetings and company functions as required
- Undertake other assigned duties and projects as required
Research & Development Assistant Job Requirements
- Minimum of Second Class Upper Division Bachelor’s Degree in Entomology, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences or equivalent from a recognized university
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office Applications.
- Basic laboratory skills.
- Knowledge on HACCP, six sigma and DOE will be considered an advantage
- Experience in lab work and conducting research projects; an added advantage
- Experience in insect rearing is an advantage.
- Demonstrated capacity for self-organization.
- Innovative, great interpersonal skills, team player and able to work with minimum supervision.
- Detail oriented and strong in analytical thinking.
- Willing to work in remote area.
- More qualitatively, we are looking for someone who has the desire to take on a new challenge in a pioneering context. We believe that we are on the cusp of transformative change and we seek people who believe their knowledge and skills will bring about that change.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts. The Sanergy Fellows Program seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization. Sanergy Fellows work in one of the following departments:
- Operations- Supply Chain Services, Logistics, Quality and Safety, Laboratory
- Fresh Life Toilet Sales
- Information Technology
- Marketing and Branding
- Product Design
- Research and Design for Byproduct Technologies
- Business Development: Partnerships & Fundraising
- Government Relations
- Engineering- Electrical, Chemical, Civil, Mechanical
- Front office
More qualitatively, we are looking for people who have the desire to take on a new challenge in a pioneering context. We believe that we are on the cusp of transformative change and we seek people who believe their knowledge and skills will bring about that change.
Fellows Program Job Requirements
- Undergraduate Degree or Diploma in the relevant field
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong time management, organizational, and prioritization skills
- Excellent communication skills on all levels
- Relentless desire to improve yourself, your team, and your organization;
- A collaborative mentality
As Sanergy expands, many new projects are on the horizon. While the Sanergy Fellows are not provided monetary compensation, the experience gleaned from their time at Sanergy will benefit them for many years to come. We are looking for fellows with the desire, determination and energy to spend at least 3-6 months in East Africa pushing the frontiers of innovation. Join us!
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Sanergy career website on sanergy.bamboohr.com to apply