Komaza works to unlock the potential of small-scale farmers to solve Africa's wood supply crisis. Collectively, small farmers possess limitless land and labor resources to plant billions of trees. Komaza provides farmers with support across the forestry value chain, from seedlings to sawmills. With a dramatically lower-cost and more-scalable forestry model, our vision is to become Africa’s largest forestry company, growing an environmentally-sustainable wood supply and generating truly life-changing income for millions of farmers.
The Business Operations Consultant must always be answering the question, “How can I improve this system?”, “How can I fix this process?”, “What do we need to make this work?”. The consultant will always be on his/her toes, quick to find creative and cost effective solutions to a specific challenges.
This is a short- to medium term, 3 to 12 months role. A stipend to cater for your personal needs and accommodation will be provided.
As the Business Operations Consultant, a typical day might include:
- Building a financial model from scratch
- Visiting the field to follow a technical expert and document his/her every move then writing an SOP about it
- Planning the logistics operations for a field based project
- Creating a template for documenting project scope, timeline, budget and deliverable… then being asked to make it half as long and twice as easy to use
- Surfing the internet to see what resources already exist for a solution to a challenge, then taking it, scraping most of it and building it better
This opportunity might be for you, if
- You love building puzzles and solving riddles
- You love understanding an operational challenge and coming up with a sustainable solution
- You get bored doing the same thing day after day
- You love analyzing data in Excel and providing meaningful answers from the information
- You love producing high-quality polished work no matter the audience or context of the work
How to get this opportunity:
- In order to land this awesome opportunity you will need to love helping and growing people.
- A Bachelor’s degree in any related field from a prestigious university and 3 years work experience will definitely be helpful.
- If you want to move to sunny Kilifi on the Kenyan coast, do something meaningful which will have huge impact on the local communities, are not afraid of a complex and tough job, and want to grow professionally and personally then please apply for this role.
- Develop a dynamic, deep understanding of how Komaza works, and constantly think about how to improve every department and the connections to bind them.
- Recruit and lead a team of management consultants, investment bankers, and operations gurus, while inspiring a culture of collaboration and accountability.
- Build deep relationships from executives to frontline staff to identify, design and deliver opportunities to translate business strategies into real world results.
- Develop tracking systems to prioritize ops challenges and strategic opportunities.
- Design and implement core operations and management systems to ensure the business meets and outperforms growth targets.
- Define company strategy, working closely with our Founder/CEO and others on our collaborative “Silicon Valley culture” senior team. Help build a management team committed to tenets of “JFDI” and “Go Big or Go Home.”
- 8+ years’ relevant work experience, ideally 4+ management experience in top-tier management consulting, i-banking, or corporate strategy; MBA preferred.
- Proven experience leading high-performing teams, especially in dynamic fast-growth environments, tackling a very diverse number of challenges.
- Excellent communication skills with the aptitude to distill complex systems and detailed analysis into simple, structured processes with concrete action plans.
- Data is your friend and Excel is your best friend. You also know how to thrive in uber-growth situations. You’ve worked and thrived at a rapidly scaling company.
- Energetic & enthusiastic – willing to do whatever necessary to get the job done.
- Very well-organized, with experience in project and change management.
- Comfort with ambiguity and uncertainty, as well as patience and perseverance in the face of serious logistical, environmental, and human resource hurdles.
- Proven success working and living in Africa preferred.
We need a Director of Biz Ops who wants to make a meaningful commitment to building and scaling this department for a minimum of 3-5+ years. While we will open a Nairobi office to support regional expansion in the near future, this role will be primarily based at our current headquarters in Kilifi, Kenya for the foreseeable future. The role offers competitive salary and benefits with potential for further career growth.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.