Paramedic Job at The International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Posted on: 14 December, 2016
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee
is a global humanitarian aid, relief and development nongovernmental organization.
The basic responsibilities of the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) will include:
- Response to emergency calls to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill and injured, and to transport/escort the patient to a medical facility.
- S/he will render emergency medical and or trauma care, to adults, children and infants based on assessment findings. Duties include but are not limited to: opening and maintaining an airway; ventilating patients; administering cardiopulmonary resuscitation, providing pre-hospital emergency medical care of simple and multiple system trauma (such as: controlling hemorrhage, treatment of shock, bandaging wounds, immobilization of painful/swollen/deformed extremities, immobilization of painful/swollen/deformed neck/spine, providing emergency medical care (e.g. assist in emergency childbirth, manage general medical complaints etc.)
- S/he reports directly to the health facility the nature and extent of injuries, the number being transported and the destination to assure prompt medical care on arrival.
- S/he constantly assesses the patient enroute to the hospital, administers additional care as indicated or directed by medical control, assists in lifting and carrying the patient out of the ambulance and into the receiving medical facility, reports verbally and in writing their observation and emergency medical care of the patient at the emergency scene and in transit, to the receiving medical facility staff for purposes of records and diagnostics and upon request provides assistance to the receiving medical facility staff.
- After each call, s/he restocks and replaces used linens, blankets and other supplies, cleans all equipment following appropriate disinfecting procedures, makes careful check of all equipment so that the ambulance is ready for the next run, maintains ambulance in efficient operating condition, ensures that the ambulance is clean and washed and kept in a neat orderly condition, decontaminates the interior of the vehicle after transport of patient with contagious infection or hazardous materials exposure.
- Maintains familiarity with specialized equipment used by the service, attends continuing education and refresher training programs as required by employers, medical control, licensing or certifying agency.
- The ideal candidate should have undergone emergency medical technician training at St. John school of First Aid and safety or any other recognized institution.
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Previous experience working as an emergency medical technician (paramedic) is an added advantage.
- Able to function in uncommon situations
- Should have a basic understanding of stress response and methods to ensure personal well-being
- Should have an understanding of body substance isolation
- Understands basic medical-legal principles
- Functions within the scope of care as defined by Kenyan law and local regulatory agencies
- Complies with regulations on the handling of the deceased, notifies authorities and arranges for protection of property and evidence at the scene.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Rescue Committee career website on chm.tbe.taleo.net to apply
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about International Rescue CommitteeSimilar Jobs
- Director, Impact and Research Job at TradeMark East Africa (TMEA)
- Career Opportunities at Conservation International
- Regional IT Operations Specialist - ESA Job at Save The Children
- Procurement Internship Opportunity at CARE International
- Chief of Party Job at Panagora Group
- Culture Change Specialist Job at The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF)
- Senior IT Manager Job at Elizabeth Glaser
- Regional Programme Officer Job at Hivos