Founded in 1979, Action Against Hunger International
(ACF) is an international humanitarian recognized in the fight against hunger. ACF mission is to save lives through the prevention, detection, and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations and conflicts. Helen Keller International (HKI) was founded in 1915 and is dedicated to saving the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. HKI aims to combat the root causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition.
The overall role of Head of Region includes developing a vision for the organization suited for the region; developing and maintaining a geographical expertise of the region including what are the priorities, capacities at region-level, opportunities, etc. ; maintaining constant and constructive engagement with local authorities and local actors; overseeing grant management at field level with particular focus on ensuring that the project is on-scope, on-time and on-budget; and ensuring that the program maintains the adequate level of overall coordination of all activities at field level, while ensuring that finance, logistic, HR and security are properly managed at base level.
Specific responsibilities: More specifically, the following tasks shall be performed by the Head of Region:
1. On developing a vision for the region and developing a geographical expertise, the Head of Region’s responsibilities will be to:
- Ensure a clear vision for the County that incorporates government, ACF, donor and program needs, plans and strategies at the County level.
- Ensure close liaison with the Program Managers and senior management team to implement the Country strategy objectives as well as the cross- cutting issues stipulated within the mission documents.
- Participate in monthly/quarterly program strategic review meetings and ensure that clear vision of programs is articulated in the different areas of implementation, this will involve presenting the analysis of the lessons learnt from field visit, recommendations from various reports and to identify opportunities that will strengthen the program approaches and strategies to support ACF vision.
- Participate in the reviews of the Country strategy and ensure integration with other sectors and articulation of emerging current issues to maximize on creating impact in ACF programming at the County Level
- Participate in identifying and developing partnership at the county that will help the vision of the organization to build on each other’s strength and build synergies to maximize impact of programs.
2. On representation at region level, the Head of Region is responsible to:
- Support in creation and negotiation of MoUs at the country level where necessary in collaboration with PMs
- Maintain good relationship with Government Ministries and partners in the county(ies) to ensure good synergies and understanding on programs for complementarity.
- Ensure that the program technical meetings, other relevant working groups and other linkages meetings within the county are attended in collaboration with the PMs .
- Advocate in ensuring that ACF ideas are integrated in the discussion within the County forum and network during the opportunities ACF has at the county level.
- Participate in other coordination meetings with partners as the need arises.
3. On grant management & compliance, the Head of Region is responsible for overseeing grant management and compliance at base level including:
- Facilitating a good working relationship between the head of departments for different departments and respective checks (of suppliers, beneficiaries) and field visits to ensure accountability of activities.
- Take lead of ensuring that grant opening, reviews and closure meetings at the base level are undertaken.
- Ensure implementation of action points raised from meetings and field visit reports at the base level
- Working closely with HOD Finance to ensure compliance of ACF procedures , donor rules and regulations at base level
- Working closely with HOD Finance to conduct base internal compliance audits.
4. On program implementation and coordination, while the Program managers report to the relevant Tech Coordinator, the Head of region role includes:
- Oversee the work of the program managers in order to ensure good compliance of the activities with the objectives of the mission’s Country strategy, donor’s rules and regulations and program’s proposal objectives. This could be through regular review meeting and field spot checking of planned activities vs achievement.
- Ensure continuous engagement with the program managers through: induction, follow up, performance appraisal, evaluation, team-building and coaching process to ensure they are motivated to carry out their duties.
- Together with program managers, ensure timely and quality reporting in the program activities to avoid any delays as per set deadlines.
- To fully participate in the program design & proposals, the design should ensure that the needs are representative of the community and incorporates County development integrated plans and other views of the communities per the needs.
- Ensure that information sharing on new program development acquired from the meetings and technical forums is shared adequately with respective members of the team and it is applied accordingly by various recipients.
5. On finance management, the Head of region is responsible of managing finance at base level including:
- Validates all the PR, SPOs at the base level by check availability of funds for all activities and expenses
- Ensuring respect and compliance to Cash Management Policy and Admin Kit at the base level.
- Ensure safekeeping of ACF funds and assets
- Carry out period cash count at least once a week and also at the end of each month (in writing ) with the Logistics Assistant
- Review and validation of base cash forecasts before it’s sent to capital.
- Review of monthly accountancy before it’s sent to capital to ensure that correct budget lines, account codes and descriptions are used.
- Provide a key in‐field oversight role ensuring that mandatory checks are carried out, and analyze, and detect any potential sources of financial/material risk in ACFs operations. In consultation with concerned department, take/mitigate action against the identified risks.
- Supervises the Logistics Assistant
6. On Logistics, the Head of Region is responsible for ensuring that logistics at base level is properly managed including:
- Monitor and analyze logistics data in respective base, assessing logistics capacities, supporting PMs in the assessment of their needs; contribute to the logistics mission strategy
- Participate in project design, participate in the drafting of PPP / SP, and provide appropriate feedback and input
- Implement and ensure the performance of the supply chain, making sure it complies with ACF procedures at all times; aims at optimal performance in terms of costs, quality and timeliness (purchasing, transport, stock)
- Reviews and approves Purchase Requests from base and provides quality reporting on Supply Chain (receives PRs and updates/controls PFU/SFU)
- Conducts periodic market surveys, consolidates information and shares with the Logistics Manager
- Implement and ensure the performance of facilities management which includes : safety of the working and living environment, provision and maintenance of logistical equipment, security of logistical equipment, training and assistance to users; supervision of the building, rehabilitation and maintenance required for the functioning of the base and living environment; provision of water and energy supplies to all buidlings required for living and office space; accurate and timely reporting
- Ensure transport and movement procedures for staff, activities and deliveries from/to base are organized and monitored.
- Ensure proper, efficient and compliant fleet management
- Ensure that logistics files (including Purchase Dossiers) are correctly filed and sent to capital on monthly basis.
- Responsible for timely and accurate Monthly Logistics report, as prepared by Base Logistician, (including narrative, and PFUs, Stock Reports, Fleet Cost Report, Base Asset List, in-kind donations, maintenance/ rehabilitation report, communication report, and any other relevant documentation.
7. On HR management, the Head of Region is responsible of ensuring HR compliancy at base level and generally managing HR including:
- Implements human resources activities and policies and periodically recommends policies that will fit into the organizational culture.
- Oversees the training function at base level and develop employee training schedules in collaboration with the Head of Human Resources.
- Oversees handling of the disciplinary matters ensuring that the disciplinary process is followed according to the ACF disciplinary policy and in line with the Kenya Labor laws.
- Analyzes employee benefits options and cost alternatives for providing employee benefits and recommends the same to the Head of HR. Recommends benefits program modifications and implements approved benefits modifications.
- Compiles HR data and analyzes complex information, researches and develops solutions to complex HR issues working closely with Head of HR.
- Addresses employee safety issues and ensures a conducive working environment for staff at base level
- Work closely with Head of HR to conduct HR compliance audits at base level as per the compliance check list.
- Assists in hiring, including developing job descriptions and job advertisements, screening candidates and conduct exit interviews at base level and also when called upon to assist in recruitment at national level.
- Oversee regularization of staff meetings at base level as a platform for addressing staff issues, reviewing and sharing ideas affecting each department. The minutes of meetings should be shared with coordination team at capital level.
8. On security management, the Head of Region is responsible for security management of the region including, in coordination with Logistics Manager and Head of mission:
- Responsible for the safety and security of the Base, including staff and assets.
- Collect and consolidate information for context and risk analysis
- To actively participate in the update of base security plans in close liaison with the Logistics Manager
- To regularly update operational handouts/annexes/ communications and movements handbook (as per need)
- Implement security procedures in compliance with ACF guidelines and policies as well as approved base security plan.
- Brief ACF staff and visitors on local context and security To prepare/submit incident reports to Log Manager/ CD and manage security incidents/evacuations and medical evacuations in collaboration with them.
- Min. BSc degree in Business Administration, International Relations or related studies.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 3-4 years in similar position, managing field bases or other similar role.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage complex programs implemented with diverse teams
- Demonstrate capacity in constructively engaging local authorities and local partners.
- PMD-Pro certification (can be passed within the first quarter of the position)
- Finance, admin, grant management, logistic, HR, security management experience
- Knowledge on nutrition security, resilience, etc. programming is an advantage.
- Problem solving
- Technical credibility
- Vision and strategic thinking
- Capacity to reconcile different and sometime divergent priorities
What ACF will offer:
- Start date: February/March 2017.
- Duty station: Isiolo Office. ACF will provide transport and accommodation plus meals when travelling to the other bases and/or capital office.
- Remuneration package: Very Competitive salary package with additional benefits to include:
- Career development opportunities with ACF
- Comprehensive medical cover for self and dependents
- Opportunity to work in a good and friendly environment with a dynamic and motivated team
- Monthly total remuneration package : range between KES 211,506-328,115
Method of Application
Closing Date:16th January 2017 by Close of Business 5pm. Applications sent after the closing date and time will not be considered.
Interested candidates should forward their applications including a cover letter, curriculum vitae and telephone contacts and email addresses of 3 referees preferably former/current supervisors (certificates will be required later on in the recruitment process) to: EMAIL: email@example.com : Indicate the position on the subject line of the email.
Position opened to Kenyan Nationals only