is a social enterprise and operates as a 501(c)3 in the US. Our mission is to transform maternal health care in East Africa and make pregnancy and childbirth safer for women and newborns. If you are interested in donating or partnering with Jacaranda Health, please visit our Donate page. Jacaranda’s staff is made up of professionals from diverse backgrounds in business and healthcare, supported by a network of advisors around the globe.
Overall Purpose: The Doctor will primarily be responsible for providing quality clinical services to our clients, program coordination and research.
Duties and Responsibilities
Work requirements and tasks will be guided by the Clinical Operations department’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Protocols which are reviewed periodically but will fall broadly in the following Key Responsibility Areas (KRASs)
- Assess, Monitor and provide appropriate clinical care (medical and surgical) to patients on hospital wards and in outpatient clinics;
- Complete documentation, both as a legal record of treatment and for the benefit of other healthcare professionals
- Coordinate and discuss planned care with the patient and other team professionals as appropriate.
- Ensure that patients are kept fully informed of and understand all procedures and treatments to be undertaken. Informed Consent will be obtained from patients in accordance with Jacaranda policy.
- The Medical Doctor will take an active role in health promotion and disease prevention.
- Develop standards, protocols and procedures;
- Ensure that comprehensive hospital medical records for all in and outpatients are accurately maintained;
Administration & Management
- Provides leadership, mentorship, coaching, support and guidance to ensure achievement of set objectives;
- Supervises, guides and trains the consultant doctors, clinical officers, interns, medical students and other cadres of clinical staff.
- Provide reports and contribute to the planning, budgeting and development of the medical service.
Education and Research
- The Doctor in Charge will continue to keep abreast with trends, developments and the appropriate utilization of technology in the field of medical care on a regular and ongoing basis;
- Participate in available educational sessions on topics such as clinical budgeting, medical audit, performance appraisal and quality control.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery with a minimum of 4 years’ experience.
- Specialized in Obstetrics and Gynaecology preferred
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and analytical skills
- Computer literacy, with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work effectively with a team in a culturally diverse environment
- A good understanding of community dynamics. Knowledge and familiarity with low-income urban areas of Nairobi
go to method of application »
- Work with the team to capture and communicate stories from the field – in a variety of creative formats – from blogs, social media, photos, etc.
- Create and curate compelling daily content for Jacaranda’s Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin account.
- Develop story ideas and prepare written content for website, electronic newsletters, and collateral materials
- Coordinate logistics and assist in onsite management of photography/video shoots for social media purposes
- Support the day-to-day management of Jacaranda’s social media platforms, including daily monitoring and responding to clients questions and comments via Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
- Influencer outreach –Research bloggers and social media influencers, develop unique pitch angles and reach out via email
- Analyze social media channel activity, make recommendations for improvements and create monthly analytics reports
- Monitor emerging Social Media tools, trends and applications
- Graphic design support for social media platforms
- A diploma in marketing. Degree/undergraduate an added advantage.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Self-motivated, with an ability to work independently as well as participating in a team of professionals
- Good command of English
- Computer literacy, and proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas on mainstream social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Preferred knowledge of social media monitoring and measurement technologies, such as Hootsuite or SproutSocial.
This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya
10-15 hours/week for 3 months
- Small monthly stipend to cover mobile data bundles and travel expenses
- Practical experience managing social media for a growing company
- Helping to build a brand that ensures women get high-quality and affordable maternity care
- Social media trainings to learn best practices and tools
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit a CV and cover letter. In your cover letter, please explain:
- Why the role appeals to you and why you would be a good fit
- How you might approach social media influencers in order to build brand awareness for Jacaranda Health
- How you might use social media to engage new and existing clients of Jacaranda
- Please share your personal social media accounts: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn
Please send your application with three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Social Media Specialist Internship as the Email Subject by 28th February 2017.
Kindly include your expected remuneration and availability in your application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted