If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The BBC is the world’s leading public service broadcaster. Funded primarily through the television licence fee, the BBC provides audiences in the UK with high quality and distinctive services across television, radio and online. It informs, educates and entertains - wherever you are, whatever your age The BBC maintains a number of separate ventures across the world some of which help fund it’s public services. BBC World Service, BBC World News, BBC Worldwide and BBC Monitoring are some of the ways people might encounter it’s services internationally.
- To originate, select stories and provide expert news coverage and analysis for broadcast, fully observing BBC Editorial Guidelines.
- To pitch original stories with both TV and digital treatments, making sure that they work for online, social and TV platforms.
- To act within the framework of overall BBC coverage, especially by Reporters and Producers in the region working for BBC Newsgathering; to maintain co-operative relations and ensure coverage forms part of a coherent overall offer.
- To provide a variety of content in English, and where possible in Swahili, often with tight deadlines.
- To follow safety requirements and instructions, especially in relation to emergencies; and to report any accidents, dangerous situations or defects in safety arrangements.
- To follow the BBC guide on business expenditure, including timely and accurate filing of expenses claims.
The Ideal Candidate
- Outstanding language skills of written and spoken English.
- Excellent level of written and spoken Swahili is desirable.
- Recent and relevant experience as a TV Reporter and/or Journalist, both in originating material and editing the work of others. A thorough knowledge of national affairs together with an understanding of international affairs.
- Excellent independent and balanced editorial judgement. A thorough familiarity with the region, an in depth knowledge of the audience requirements and a good understanding of youth issues and the media interests of various age groups. A good understanding of digital platforms and the types of content which do well on them. Knowledge of and aptitude for information technology skills. A demonstrable interest and proven track record in social media. Ability to present programmes appropriate to the needs of BBC Africa.
- Authoritative microphone voice and ability to communicate effectively to listeners and viewers. Proven skills in filing despatches and ability to produce two-ways and make television and radio packages. Ability to convey story and programme ideas and to contribute fully to the planning process. Ability to learn new skills (technically and editorially) and accept constructive feedback. Ability to remain calm while working to deadlines, apply sensible work priorities and pace throughout assignments.
Salary: Local Terms & Conditions
- To suggest and research stories or story elements for BBC Africa Service and other BBC services if requested by the editors/line managers; to find contributors and interviewees as well as other sources of material and/or actuality, as appropriate and to the required specification, whilst maintaining professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing and adhering to the BBCs Editorial guidelines.
- To offer ideas for items in a range of platforms; to suggest and develop special projects in Africa and to actively contribute to the editorial planning process.
- To go on duty trips to gather information for output with a correspondent and/or a shoot/edit, or individually, as required.
- To work with correspondents from across the BBC, on duty trips and on base, ensuring that they are appropriately supported, both editorially and logistically.
- The ability to report from the field if needed.
- To suggest new broadcasting formats and techniques for BBC output from Africa.
The Ideal Candidate
- Fluent in English, both in written and spoken form, ability to communicate effectively on a high level.
- A full command and up to date knowledge of stories and issues relating to your specific region.
- Experience of work in a similar position in a news environment.
- Wide and up-to-date familiarity with the target area and an in-depth understanding of African history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of African audiences. Extensive knowledge of the media situation in the target area and the way it is developing.
- To have basic skills of shooting photo and video, and of gathering journalistic material through other technical means.
- A thorough understanding of the latest developments in digital storytelling.
- Thorough knowledge of current affairs and the broadcast environment in the target area, including familiarity with official structures and procedures pertinent to that environment.
- A sound understanding of the needs, platforms and styles of the BBC.
- Ability to work unsupervised, managing changing priorities in a fast-moving environment, responding promptly and reliably to the requests of your colleagues.
Salary: Local Terms & Conditions
Due to this exciting expansion we are looking for journalists who will report into the Editor BBC Tigrinya, to deliver a dynamic range of digital and radio content which will appeal to a young audience. This rare and challenging role will see you assist in leading the team and creating content to maximise the BBC World Service’s impact and potential in Africa, taking into account media conditions in the target area and developments in audio, video, online and mobile platforms.
Some Of The Key Duties Will Be
- To research, interview original sources and write reports, analysis and features for the BBC Tigrinya website in a range of formats.
- To help produce and/or present the BBC’s live radio programme.
- To respond to breaking stories whilst on air and to resolve technical difficulties.
- To create content to drive the BBC Facebook page and other social media platforms.
- To be able to conduct interviews in audio and video on request, on phone or face-to-face, with authority and in-depth knowledge about the region, especially Eritrea.
The Ideal Candidate
- A full command and up to date knowledge of written and spoken Tigrinya.
- A good knowledge of English, including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Wide and up to date familiarity with the target area (especially Eritrea) and an in-depth understanding of its history, politics, social issues and culture as well as the changing needs of the audience.
- Recent and relevant experience as a journalist and/or reporter would be preferable but not essential.
- Ability to write, adapt and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of social media.
- A good broadcasting voice and the ability to acquire an appropriate presentation.
- Able to demonstrate a good range of contacts for interview purposes from all walks of life.
- Good keyboard/computer skills and the ability to acquire technical skills and to operate technical equipment. Practical experience and extensive knowledge of the Internet and an understanding of the potential of new technology is essential.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of news and current affairs in the target area as well as a good knowledge of and interest in, international and regional affairs.
- A thorough knowledge of the aims, objectives and standards of BBC World Service Group.
- An understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda and a wider interest in the strategy of the BBC as a whole.
Salary: Within grade, Local Terms and Conditions Apply
Previous applicants need not apply as we have your application on file and will be considering it as part of our recruitment
Method of Application
Use the link(s) / email(s) below to apply on company website.