If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Heifer International's mission is to work with communities to end world hunger and poverty and to care for the Earth.
Dan West was a farmer from the American Midwest and member of the Church of the Brethren who went to the front lines of the Spanish Civil War as an aid worker. His mission was to provide relief, but he soon discovered the meager single cup of milk rationed to the weary refugees once a day was not enough.
EADD II is an ambitious five-year program designed to transform the lives of resource poor farming families through a competitive and inclusive dairy value chain in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. Under the EADD Regional Operations Director, the Manager for Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation (MLE) will provide the overall leadership of the MLE function across all the project’s sites and, as such, work in close collaboration with respective country MLE leads and East Africa Dairy Development (EADD) consortium partners to strengthen the capacity of country offices on MLE function. To this end, he/she will provide technical assistance, advice and training on key aspects of MLE to shape the overall EADD’s regional framework and ensure that key outcomes are achieved.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
Enthusiasm, orderliness, compliance, creativity, determination, diligence, self-starter, critical thinker, curious.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
(including approximate percentage effort)
Strategic MLE Implementation (50%)
Provide technical guidance and support in the implementation of the overall monitoring, learning, and evaluation framework in line with EADD’s regional framework and ensure that key outcomes are achieved.
- Drive the monitoring and evaluation of the MLE framework and specific initiatives across the East Africa countries.
- Provide overall leadership in documenting key outcomes, lessons learned and impact on key innovations embedded within the project on a continuous basis.
- Provide technical leadership on strategies to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the project by identifying bottlenecks and develop action plans to minimize project holdups.
- Develop knowledge management; identify lessons learned, successful innovations, and other information valuable to share with partners and key stakeholders.
- Design and put into use MLE tools
- Recommend steps for strategic adjustments and provide follow up on implementation.
- Supervise and manage all evaluations and operational research for the project including baseline, midterm and end-line assessments.
- Analyze and discuss emerging issues identified from progress and evaluation reports and coordinate the development and monitoring of action plans recommended to the relevant program manager and partners for timely corrective measures.
Capacity Development (35%)
Lead and collaborate in the development of people and management strategies to strengthen MLE effectiveness across the EADD program to meet the requirements of an increasingly competitive environment.
- Supervision of the Monitoring, Learning & Evaluation Officer, providing mentoring and coaching on approaches and technical methodologies
- Promote a results-based approach to Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation emphasizing on data quality, results, and impacts.
- Contribute in the recruitment, training and supervision of external parties that are contracted to implement special surveys and studies required for evaluating project effects and impacts.
- Build staff and partners’ capacities on MLE through facilitation of trainings, collaboration, and development of MLE tools.
- Foster quality participatory monitoring by training and involving primary stakeholder groups in the M&E of activities.
- Continuously seek to expand knowledge, skills and competencies.
Reports and Database management (15%)
- Provide overall leadership in developing and maintaining a project management information system/platform that captures real-time data.
- Preparation and consolidation of mid-term, annual and end-term reports.
- Coordinate annual project reviews and planning workshops and assist the Regional Operations Director in preparing relevant reports.
- Provide country based MLE personnel with key tools and support them in their use.
May Perform other job-related duties as assigned
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Demonstrated experience in data analysis, ability to prepare and systemically disseminate high-level quality reports for a variety of audiences.
- Skilled with incorporating innovative solutions in complex MLE systems with focus on agriculture/dairy value chains.
- Excellent management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong staff training skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to create and/or maintain systems and procedures for managing complex programs with many implementation sites, partners, and beneficiaries.
- A good understanding and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger and environment, and knowledge of the context to which non-profit organizations operate.
- Ability to promote the vision and strategic goals of EADD.
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail and Internet software (Microsoft Office preferred), including Excel, Access and SPSS.
- Skilled with managing complex IT based data collection systems.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Skilled at strategic thinking and anticipating future developments and trends to incorporate them into organizational plans.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English, oral and written, with knowledge of Kiswahili.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to lead teams effectively and exhibit strong conflict resolution skills.
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations.
- Excellent time management skills, high self- motivation and ability to work under pressure on multiple tasks, demands and deadlines with a positive and constructive attitude.
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues both within and outside of Kenya.
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Performing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule.
- Willingness to travel both locally and internationally
- Master’s degree or equivalent in international development, quantitative economics, business and or statistics or an equivalent with an academic focus on monitoring and evaluation, plus seven (7) years of direct relevant experience in MLE.
- A solid background in MLE experience, ideally gained in working in the development context.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating and working with international donors and grantees on MLE systems.
- Experience in supporting and monitoring field based programs in the region.
- Experience in managing databases and coordinating evaluations, surveys and impact monitoring at a senior level.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Heifer International career website on heifer-openhire.silkroad.com to apply