Based in Mandera Town the Livelihoods Manager has overall responsibility for implementation of DRC Kenya’s implementation of Livelihoods activities under a DRC-led consortium of 4 agencies implementing a cross-border EU-funded grant across Mandera, Kenya, Dollo Ado, Ethiopia and Gedo, Somalia. S/He will be responsible for the management of programme, human and financial resources to ensure achievement of the overall objective of improving the livelihood security of the target population in Mandera County. S/he will be responsible for determining specific programme design, delivery, progress against the approved work plan, reporting against the monitoring plan, and overall performance of DRC Kenya’s livelihoods activities in Mandera County. S/he will oversee timely delivery of planned results, within budget, with adherence to applicable policies, provide capacity building to project staff, represent the project with internal and external stakeholders in field locations, including the donor, and contribute to planning, coordination and learning within the consortium. This position will require strong coordination with other consortium Livelihoods technical teams and BORESHA consortium field teams across Mandera, Dollow and Dollo Ado to develop integrated approaches to livelihoods programming, and develop strong linkages between livelihoods and other project activities.
As a member of the DRC Kenya Extended SMT s/he will also provide technical oversight in the implementation of DRC Kenya’s national livelihood strategy.
The Livelihoods Manager will support the BORESHA Head of PMU with strategic guidance in technical Livelihoods activities under the BORESHA grant, and, as a key member of the consortium will contribute to overall planning, implementing, and managing of the project, and establishment of the M+E framework to assure progress towards achieving project goals and objectives on behalf of DRC Kenya.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- The Livelihoods Manager works in close collaboration with the senior project staff of each of the implementing agencies in all the field locations. Specific responsibilities include:
- Responsible for day to day design, delivery, and progress against agreed targets of Livelihoods activities managed by DRC Kenya across Mandera County. Lead the implementation of the DRC Kenya livelihoods programme under the BORESHA grant, ensure that lessons learned are fed into the design of activities, with a focus on cost-effectiveness and building a solid evidence base
- Responsible for ensuring the timely and quality completion of all Livelihoods technical and financial deliverables and reports for DRC Kenya’s activities in Mandera, in accordance with EU guidelines
- Act as DRC Kenya technical livelihoods focal point for Mandera County in field level coordination mechanisms with consortium members and PMU.
- Hire, line manage, and ensure the professional development and evaluation process of Livelihoods staff in Mandera, ensuring achievement of project results by setting specific goals and providing continuous performance feedback
- Contribute to overall technical direction for the design and implementation of Livelihoods project activities under the BORESHA grant in close coordination with the relevant technical leads of consortium agencies and Technical Working Group members.
- Build the capacity of DRC Kenya programme staff to identify, design and implement quality programme activities across Mandera County.
- Ensure the use of livelihoods information management systems (where feasible) for programme monitoring and evaluation.
- Develop and sustain Livelihoods related relationships with consortium members, relevant GoK and County representatives, other partners, donors, private sector partners and academic institutions.
- Integrate multi-sectoral considerations into livelihoods programming, with a particular focus on linkages with DRR, NRM, health, education, and protection mainstreaming.
- Participate in the development of Terms of Reference for consultancy work, and the identification of competent expertise and manage consultants as required.
- Promote sustainability of project activities with effective networking, linkages to other programmes, and strengthening community-based organizations and mechanisms
- Participate in the development of livelihoods related policy and advocacy positions and support their dissemination.
- Relevant university degree in Social Sciences, International Development, International Relations, Law or any other relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ of professional experience in food security and livelihoods
- Advanced skills in developing and implementing value chain and/or microenterprise/ microfinance/ livelihoods programs in a management capacity.
- Experience with programme implementation in rural areas of Kenya, previous experience in the ASALs a plus
- Experience with program assessment and design
- Experience managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple project partners
- Proven experience in programme design and management, including budget expenditure, donor relations, reporting, proposal writing, staff management, and monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Demonstrated track record of strong donor relationships, specifically EU
- Excellent writing and communications skills in English, knowledge of the Somali language a plus
- Ability to work as part of a team (multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary and inter-agency)
- Ability to build and maintain networks with peers in other agencies
- Ability to work in an economically unstable and politically sensitive positions and environment
- Ability to travel and to work independently, even in harsh environments
- Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
- Work style: Highly organized team player, pro-active and with demonstrated strong personal initiative and decision making ability. Proven solid analytical and problem solving skills.
- Leadership skills, including ability to build and motivate a team and willingness to deal with challenges.
- Political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures.
- Demonstrated successful experience working within a complex security environment is preferred.
Core competencies Basic Advanced Expert
- Striving for excellence - Expert
- Collaborating - Advanced
- Taking the lead - *Advanced*
- Communicating - Advanced
- Demonstrating integrity - Expert
Availability: 1 Jan 2018
Duty Station: Mandera Town, Mandera County, Kenya
Contract: For qualified National staff the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for
Reports to: Head of Programmes
Supervises: Livelihoods Officers x 2, Livelihoods Assistants x 3, Project Drivers x 2