The International Potato Center, known by its Spanish acronym CIP, was founded in 1971 as a root and tuber research-for-development institution delivering sustainable solutions to the pressing world problems of hunger, poverty, and the degradation of natural resources. CIP is truly a global center, with headquarters in Lima, Peru and offices in 30 developing countries across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Working closely with our partners, CIP seeks to achieve food security, increased well-being, and gender equity for poor people in the developing world. CIP furthers its mission through rigorous research, innovation in science and technology, and capacity strengthening regarding root and tuber farming and food systems.
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a professional with demonstrated experience in Finance to fill in a temporary fixed term position of Temporary Finance Assistant.
The Center: CIP (www.cipotato.org) is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor.
The Position: The Temporary Finance Assistant will report to the Regional Finance Manager and will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Duties And Accountabilities
- Receive and record invoices in the invoice register & check them for consistency and accuracy according to CIP guidelines and policies;
- Prepare payments and ensure safety of financial resources;
- Ensure appropriate supporting documents for transactions including receipts, invoices, contracts are attached;
- Ensure that payment requests are properly approved and that payments are effected within CIP-SSA turn-around time;
- Record financial transactions following proper classification of accounts and charge codes in the documents, and hand them over the general ledger accountant for posting;
- Reconciling and management of VAT accounts to ensure invoices with VAT are ready for processing the Exemption certificate;
- Ensure all bills are posted according to the period of the service provided (Utility Bills, Rentals, IT, Facilities) monthly;
- Management of overdue supplier’s accounts to ensure all outstanding bills are reconciled and paid in time;
- Ensure all payments are filed sequentially and stamped PAID in readiness for Audit;
- Ensure financial transactions are carried out in accordance with the Center’s financial and administrative policies and procedures and Maintain detailed and accurate records for all financial transactions;
- Ensure and support in the maintenance of a good filing system.
- Minimum of CPA / ACCA Part 2;
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration;
- A minimum of three years of demonstrated experience in a busy accounting office;
- Aptitude for understanding complex regulations and monitoring financial transactions and documentation for compliance;
- Excellent computer skills, including knowledge of UNIT 4 Agresso Business systems;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Cross cultural sensitivity;
- Strong e-mail communication skills, ability to write in a manner sensitive to cultural differences, and provide clarity to staff;
- Ability to train/mentor staff in accounting requirements;
- Ability to be a team player in a busy environment, often with tight deadlines;
- Be a Kenyan citizen.
Conditions: The position will be for a period of four months.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Potato Center career website on www.linkedin.com to apply