If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Islamic Relief is an international NGO, established in 1984 in the UK, seeking to promote sustainable Economic and social development by working with local communities through relief and developmental activities. We aim to help the needy regardless of Race, Religion, Colour and Gender. Islamic Relief is currently running Programmes in several sectors that include Education, Health & Nutrition, Water & Sanitation, Livelihoods Support and Child Welfare. IRK also implements seasonal Food Security Programmes including the Ramadan Food Distribution and Qurbani.
Islamic Relief Kenya program seeks to recruit the following position:
Department: Kenya Program
Reporting To: Senior Project Officer
Staff Reporting: Field GSLA Promoters
Base Location: Mandera
- Building sustainable livelihoods represents one of the broad based Programmes adopted by Islamic Relief in its institutional strategic plan.
- The programme focuses on the poor and primarily rural communities with the aim of strengthening their access to resources in order to strengthen food security and income generation.
- This post requires someone with experience working in or with community based enterprises and the ability to understand the constraints of early stage businesses. We are looking for someone who has strong written communication skills and financial analysis expertise, with the ability to engage stakeholders in the implementation of the project and generate quality regular internal reports. The successful candidate will need to understand and take on Islamic Relief’s values and commitment to pastoral communities’ economic empowerment. Lastly they will need to show strong self-awareness, inter-personal skills, and selfmotivation, with the ability to deliver results and work well under pressure and to be flexible in demanding situations.
- The Project Supervisor will be responsible for the day to day engagement with the project implementation stakeholders in Mandera to ensure project results and realized in an effective manner as per the project documents and donor guidelines and expectations.Key
- Project Administration and Operation
- Implementation of the Youth Social and Economic empowerment project in accordance with the
- project requirements and work plan.
- Organize and execute youth development training as per the set activity work plan in collaboration with the line manager and the external experts.
- Project Supervisor- Development Page 2
- Monitor youth groups economic activities initiated through the project for technical advice and link them to other private sector players for partnership.
- Work with youth training institutions to ensure that the targeted youths are enrolled for technical skills development training
- Collaborate with local entrepreneurs and stakeholders to secure internship opportunities for youths graduating from technical skills development.
- Build the business capacity of the targeted youths for easy access of available credit facilities for startup capital.
- Work with local partners in advocacy efforts around strategic issues affecting youth livelihood in
- Mandera and ensure youth participation in the county government processes.
- Keep abreast of political, economic and social developments priorities in the area of operation and report the same to the line manager for appropriate action.
- Identify existing and emerging challenges facing the youths in the target community and recommend suitable sustainable innovative approaches of addressing the gaps.
- Link with other related interventions run by IRK in Mandera to ensure synergy and avoiding duplication of activities.
- Work with the project staff in the development of other sustainable development Programmes appropriate for the target location.
- Monitor and mentor the field GSLA promoters
- Compile all projects monitoring information on a regular basis and documentation of lessons learnt from field visits and project activities.
- Report regularly to the line Manager on general progress including learning, participation in project activities and other relevant matters.
- Work closely with government department that are charged with youth agenda both at the county and the national government level in Mandera.
- Maintain service-oriented culture to achieve service excellence objective.2. Training/Meeting/ Forums
- Prepare and conduct community sensitization forums/meetings with community youth leaders and other opinion leaders.
- Document lessons learned from training activities, community meeting and assist in preparing training reports
- Represent IRK in Youth Livelihood forums in the assigned area.
- Participate in Youth Advocacy forums in Mandera County.3. Design, Monitoring and Evaluation activities
- Participate in the development of appropriate tools for monitoring and reporting include Detailed implementation plans (DIPs) and M&E Plans.
- Participate in regular lessons learned feedback sessions with the project teamEssential Skills & Qualifications:
- Advanced Diploma on Entrepreneurship related field, Development studies, economics or any other related fields. A Bachelor’s degree in similar fields will be an added advantage.
- Project Supervisor- Development Page 3
- Minimum of at least Three years’ experience in sustainable livelihood, vocational training and enterprise development Programmes targeting youths.
- Vast experience in youth livelihood Programmes –planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Knowledge of the key issues/challenges and trends with regard to youths’ livelihood in pastoral communities.
- Excellent command of the most common methodologies to identify, execute and monitor GSLA activities, with proven record of achievements;
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and
- knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Flexible, with ability to work and handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines
- Ability to provide continuous input on the organization’s processes, implementation of new systems etc
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work hands-on, independently, and within a team
- Strong communication (written & spoken) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work on your own initiative as well as a part of a team.
Method of Application
Send your application to Hr.email@example.com by Monday 22nd January, 2018.
Your application should also include names and addresses of three referees, a working e-mail address and daytime telephone contacts. The forwarding e-mail and cover letter must clearly indicate the position title on the subject line.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted Please send us your cover letter and detailed CV, including your qualifications and experience.