Kenya Red Cross Society is one of the largest humanitarian organizations in Kenya. Our mission is to timely, effectively and innovatively deliver humanitarian services with respect, in solidarity and accountability to our stakeholders, our communities and affected populations.
Reporting to: Regional Manager
Job Location: Wajir, Mandera, Garissa
This role will be responsible for ensuring that Kenya Red Cross is strategically and effectively positioned within a Specific County as key partner to the County government and has a well-coordinated approach in service delivery to the communities within the County in line with their identified needs and priorities. This role is also responsible for the growth and management of Programmes within the specific county
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop strategies that ensure KRCS is well positioned and coordinated as a strategic partner to the county government in service delivery in line with the identified priorities
- Develop strategic alliances to strengthen collaborative partnerships and networks with relevant County government agencies, NGO’s and other stakeholders in order to advocate, represent, and influence policies for humanitarian relief
- Provide strategic leadership and direction to County staff to design, implement and evaluate strategic action plans and budgets in line with approved County priorities and strategies.
- Coordinate monitoring and evaluation of programmes in order to assess progress, ensure accountability, determine impact and report significant achievements to ensure organizational learning
- Lead and Coordinate the development and implementation of disaster management programmes at the county level and ensure effective response to disasters.
- Develop, implement, lobby and advocacy of programmes with a view to reform policies that facilitate humanitarian service delivery.
- Represent the Society at local and county meetings, conferences and workshops and other forums.
- Provide departmental progress updates to Regional Management, KCRS Board and external stakeholders.
- Serve as secretary to the KRCS county branch board meetings.
- Coordinate the development, implementation of the annual plan and budget under the direction of the Regional management and County Branch Committee
- Coordinate dissemination of KRCS Volunteer and youth policy and guidelines outlining their recruitment and selection, deployment, training and development in order to achieve a self-sustaining network of volunteers
- Coordinate Dissemination KRCS membership policy and guidelines, coordinate elections and build the capacity of Branch management committees/Boards to ensure a more accountable and transparent governance
- Develop and periodically update computerised database information system to ensure that all records and statistics pertaining to the youth, volunteers and members are properly classified and maintained for rapid access and retrieval
- Coordinate risks mapping and vulnerability capacity assessment activities to plan prepare, respond and mitigate disaster impacts
- In consultation with the Regions ensure effective resource mobilisation strategies, prepare and submit funding proposals according to donor requirements to supplement local budget allocations. Lead on robust income generating activities for branch sustainability.
- Coordinate implementation of capacity building programmes to effectively prepare staff, volunteers and communities to respond to disasters, restore family links as well as put in place systems for community reconstruction and environmental conservation
- Prepare periodic project status reports and oversee the documentation and reporting of programmes to ensure compliance with stipulated requirements, coordinate timely responses to donor queries as well as inform on problems and constraints on programme delivery.
- Dissemination of Ideals and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement, International Humanitarian Law (IHL) and International Disaster Response Law (IDRL)
- Prepare concept papers, periodic and annual reports showing achievements of the Branch against planned targets as well as provide justification for performance variances and recommending strategies for improvement.
- Prepare periodic project status reports and oversee the documentation and reporting of programmes to ensure compliance with stipulated requirements, coordinate timely responses to donor queries as well as inform on constraints on programme delivery.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Community Development, Environmental Health, Human Ecology or equivalent qualifications with certificate in project management
- Over three (3) years’ experience in planning, implementing and evaluating community-based programmes in emergency/relief context
- Voluntary working experience
- Good knowledge of the work of the Red cross in Kenya and the County
- Good knowledge on the County and its working environment
- Proven record of networking and Partnership development
- Excellent conflict resolution skills
- Experience in Programme design and management
- Experience in Volunteer Management
- Excellent interpersonal and effective communication skills
- Excellent change management skills.
go to method of application »
Reporting to: Head of Regional Management
Job Location: North Eastern
The Regional Manager is responsible for providing strategic leadership in the development, maintenance and growth of the region through effective coordination of regional plans and budget, implementation and delivery of high quality integrated humanitarian services and strengthening the capacity of regional governance as well as youth and volunteer development.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement strategic plans to develop, maintain and grow business within the Region
- Coordinate implementation of integrated community-based programme that includes public health, social services, water and sanitation, disease prevention and control as well as emergency care management
- Coordinate implementation of community mobilization and capacity building strategies to promote hygiene practices in order to protect health and ensure that communities manage installed water and sanitation infrastructural facilities in a sustainable manner
- Develop strategies for strengthening collaborative partnerships and networks with stakeholders, government agencies, the private sector and other players to ensure implementation of programmes that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Coordinate monitoring and evaluation/reporting of programmes in the region in order to assess progress, ensure accountability, determine impact and report significant achievements to ensure organizational learning
- Oversee the dissemination of ideals and Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement, International Humanitarian Law (IHL), International Disaster Response Law (IDRL)
- Represent the Society at meetings, conferences and workshops and other forums to promote programme activities and articulate issues related to the humanitarian relief
- In liaison with the Knowledge Management Officer coordinate documentation of experiences and program implementation strategies that are unique with a view to enhancing knowledge sharing
- Prepare concept papers, periodic and annual reports showing achievements of the treasury accounting unit against planned targets as well as provide justification for performance variances and recommending strategies for improvement.
- Assign duties, train, supervise and appraise regional staff
Planning & Budgeting:
- Coordinate the development, implementation of the annual Regional plan and budget under the direction of the Regional Committee
- Ensure effective resource mobilization strategies, prepare and submit funding proposals according to donor requirements to supplement local budget allocations.
- Consolidate programme implementation of work plans that capture all donor requirements as well as planned activity accomplishments, outputs, and verifiable indicators
- Coordinate implementation of disaster management programmes at the region level to effectively respond to natural and manmade disasters
- Coordinate regional risk mapping and vulnerability capacity assessment activities to plan prepare, respond and mitigate disaster impacts
- Design capacity building programmes to effectively prepare communities to respond to disasters, restore family links as well as put in place systems for community reconstruction and environmental conservation
- Masters in Business Management (MBA) or MSc in Public Health (MPH)
- Training and/or Experience in project management
- Over 7 years’ experience in planning, implementing and evaluating community-based programmes in emergency/ relief/development context, two of which must be at a leadership level
- Broad knowledge of project management, emergency and public health management, humanitarian relief issues, trends and goals aimed at preventing and alleviating human suffering
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver the society’s articulated vision for change
- Ability to initiate and manage change and align programmes to the strategic plan
- Demonstrated ability to influence and resolve differences and conflicts.
Method of Application
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should send or drop their applications so as to reach us not later thanFriday, 21st September 2018at either;
Kenya Red Cross Society Garissa Office or
Post it to
Kenya Red Cross Society
P.O. Box 40712-00100,
Applications MUST contain; letter of application, curriculum vitae, copies of relevant certificates, address and contacts of two referees.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Job disclaimer and notification: Kenya Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge / accept any amount or security deposit from job seekers during the selection process or while inviting candidates for an interview.