If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
SMEC is a professional services firm with Australian origins and a global footprint that provides high quality consultancy services for major infrastructure projects. SMEC has joined forces with Surbana Jurong to provide global engineering and consultancy expertise in urban, infrastructure and management advisory. Our new partnership has created a talent pool of 14,500 dedicated people working across a network of 130 offices in 40 countries. SMEC employs passionate and innovative people who are driven to deliver exceptional outcomes and who want to feel valued in a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are committed to developing our people. We encourage them to see things differently, to be creative to push boundaries and to work on a broad range of projects that help build a better future. Consistently recognized for technical excellence and design innovation, SMEC continues to receive industry awareness and accolades from around the world. Engineering News Record (ENR) currently ranks SMEC in the top 50 of the ‘2017 Top 225 International Design Firms’.
We are currently seeking Urban and Business Development Specialist to be based in SMEC’s regional office in Nairobi, Kenya. This specialist’s role is:’
- To seek, identify and follow-up on new opportunity (e.g. urban property development) leads in both private and public sector
- To liaise with potential partners and collaborators in pursuit of project opportunities.
- To prepare Expressions of Interest and Prequalification documents for project opportunities.
- To prepare Technical and Financial Proposals for public and private sector project opportunities
- To provide technical and project management support to urban development projects.
- Business development support for pursuing large scale housing program opportunities
- Housing investment plan assessments and input in housing market and supply chain research studies.
- Review feasibility reports and make business development recommendations based on findings
- Recommendations to improve policies, procedures and practices.
- Liaise with relevant agencies and organizations regarding joint bids for opportunities.
- Interface with subconsultants, subcontractors and other collaborators to accomplish and prepare submissions.
- Review consultant reports for accuracy and completeness.
- Attend meetings with prospective Clients, contractors, financers, government officials, and other stakeholders.
Key Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- An advanced degree (Master’s Degree Level or higher) in a discipline pertinent to urban development sector such as Architecture, Building Science, Civil/Structural or
- Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, Quantity Surveying, or Project Management.
- Professional Certification in Project Management (e.g. PMP) and/or Public Private Partnership (e.g. APMG PPP) is a plus.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in urban development sector.
- Track record in Kenya property development market/sector.
- Experience in Urban Infrastructure and Property Development Sector, including experience in Housing Development Projects.
- Good understanding of local economic, cultural and political environment in East Africa (especially Kenya).
- Understanding of East Africa (especially Kenya) housing market and housing development practices
- Thorough knowledge of the legal and policy framework for land development and building construction in East Africa (especially Kenya)
- Ability to review and analyze technical and financial feasibility study reports
- Able to travel locally and internationally
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Adobe Acrobat, and familiarity with AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, and ArcGIS.
- Strong business development skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong research and report writing skills
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to analyze and explain policies, laws and guidelines for housing and construction sector
- Ability to deliver effective presentations
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Strong English language speaking and writing ability. Swahili language skills is a plus.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to SMEC career website on www.smec.com to apply