Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is: to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations when they are faced with crisis or exclusion from society, the world over, including France, to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
The goal of MdM in Kenya is to offer harm reduction and outreach services to the civilian populations in Kawangware, Nairobi.
Main aims of the post
He/she will be responsible for supporting the logistics coordinator in managing the supply chain unit. The focus will be to facilitate the logistics for MdM staff and MdM premises in Nairobi as well as support to the logistics of the DIC and outreach activities in Nairobi. He/she will also support the Somalia program in logistics and supply chain.
He/she will ensure the following responsibilities.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Supply chain management
- Organizes and follow the purchasing procedure (internal and external documentation, quotation, reporting) and together with the Logistics Coordinator,
- Ensures analysis of the quotations. When purchases are related to the medical activities, the process will be done together with the medical coordinator (relevance to the request, price, liability, availability, and price, the payment condition, delivery condition),
- In collaboration with the administration department he/she prepares the written contracts when necessary (supply contracts, transport contracts, services contract related to his / her responsibility, etc.),
- Ensure the MdM procedures are followed and that all the purchases have appropriate invoices;
- Stock management
- Ensures the stock management for the coordination office and the DIC.
- Support on the joint program stock management and follow-up (inventories, stock cards, packing list, making sure the real stock correspond to the stock records): in terms of proper usage of tools and analysis of stock consumption.
- Maintain and update the inventory list for the coordination office and the DIC.
- Regularly check inventory levels / conducting physical counts at the coordination office and the DIC.
- Ensure that all items are well organized and correctly stored, well protected, fully identified and easily accessible (cleanliness, security, access, etc.).
- Vehicles and generator management
- Ensures vehicles allocation as per the needs of the program;
- Ensures that transport for people and goods (including drugs and cold chain) are organized promptly;
- Responsible for the maintenance of vehicles and follow up of spare parts.
- Management of drivers activity (planning, casual vehicle maintenance, and fuel consumption
- Premises management
- Ensure the maintenance and cleanliness of premises in Nairobi (coordination office and DIC).
- Discusses and agrees with landlords of regular maintenance to be done on both part by each party;
- Recommends and organizes for additional improvements to the premises;
- Assets and furniture management
- Updating and maintenance of the MdM asset register
- Registration, tagging and follow up of equipment following MdM procedures
- Follow-up of the equipment status and documentation (use, working condition, warranty, costs).
- Responsible for organization and follow-up of preventive maintenance & repair of equipment and assets.
- Is responsible for the follow-up and the maintenance of cold chain facility in Nairobi.
- Customs Clearance
- Responsible for import and export processing for Kenya office in collaboration with the Logistics Coordinator
- Team management
- Supervision of the logistics team (drivers and Driver Purchaser).
- Facilitate communication with staff under his / her supervision and between the different members of the mission team on logistic issues,
- Supports the Admin team with cross-cutting Log/Admin issues.
- Prepares and send a monthly logistics report to the Logistics Coordinator
- Consolidates assets inventories and transmit them to AdminCo while copying the Logistics Coordinator monthly;
- Reports any safety and security issue, incidents and near misses to the Logistics Coordinator.
Profile of the ideal candidate
- Desirable have a Bachelor’s Degree in Logistics or Procurement and Supplies Management
- Certification in Purchasing and Supplies Management or Logistics is an added advantage e.g CIPS
- MUST have a valid driving license with practical driving experience for both manual and automatic vehicles
- Desirable of 5 years practical experience in the logistics department in an INGO
- Previous experience in a Logistics officer position in an NGO
Skills and qualities required
- Strong professional ethics;
- Sense of diplomacy and negotiation skills Proven ability to review supply demands and trends to develop strategies to fill identified gaps
- Experience working with institutional donors and knowledge of their rules and regulations
- Ability to synthesize and analyze information, and make clear, informed decisions
- Strong planning, management, and coordination skills, with the ability to organize a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Excellent written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills in MS application software’s
- Excellent team management skills
- Ability to think out of the box and problem-solving efficiently
- Innovative and can easily work without close supervision
- Ability to capacity build his/her subordinates
- Mandatory – ability to read, write and speak in English and Swahili
- Ability to read write and speak French will be an added advantage
Because of the emergency relief nature of MDM’s work, working hours may be irregular and employees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Send in your application by clicking the Apply button below