If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Wema Centre is a local N.G.O based in Mombasa and was founded in 1993. It focuses on the needs of street children, orphans and other vulnerable children/youths. The institution has created a number of excellent interventions around child protection, education & skills training, street outreach, psychosocial support, healthcare, income generating activities and institutional strengthening. We always endeavor to partner in ventures and initiatives that seek to promote knowledge sharing, new learning and capacity building in our line of duty both internally and externally.
At Wema Centre, we rely on the generosity and trust of our donors, friends and fundraisers to ensure we are able to help the many underprivileged children and youths wasting and or operating in different streets across the country. Stewardship of our supporters is incredibly important to ensure their on-going support for our activities. Keeping our donors and fundraisers engaged means that we can realize our objectives and support as many street connected children and youths as possible.
Reporting to: Programme Director
Working hours: Mon-Fri 08.00-5.00pm)
Location: Bamburi - Mombasa
Contract: 6 months (negotiable)
To provide assistance to the Programme Director in identifying donor resources and potential investors, raising funds and writing proposals for long-term organizational sustainability as well as applications for funding short term projects.
The responsibilities will include:
- Compile and maintain a database of international and local donor organizations (international foundations, bilateral and multilateral agencies and corporate organizations offering donations)
- Regularly monitor donor websites and identify investor opportunities matching the work or planned projects of the organization
- Assist the Programme Director in writing concept notes, project ideas and project proposals and ensure their timely submission
- Undertake independent research in finding alternative resources for long-term sustainability of the organization
- Assist the Programme Director in developing business plans to generate income from various income generating sources within the organization.
- Undertake online research and build contacts with local potential individual investors/donors and raise funds for the different projects of the organization.
- Maintain relationships with existing investors/donors and respond to their requests regularly and keep updating them about the work of the organization
- In liaison with Communication & Networking Officer, Improve, update and develop communications material for the organization such as brochure, website, annual report, posters etc.
- Organize or provide assistance in organizing any fundraising events for the organization
- Suggest other innovative ideas for effective resource mobilization
Education and/or Experience:
- A holder of a Bachelor’s degree in development/social sciences (Sociology, Development studies, Economics or related field).
- A thorough understanding of program design and development especially in the sectors of Education, Health, Livelihoods or Child Protection
- He/she should have 2 - 3 years’ experience in planning, securing and managing funds (proposal writing) from institutional donors and local corporates.
- Experience in social science research & report writing; the candidate should have good experience in conducting assessments, evaluations etc
- Experience in working with target and deadlines
- Decision making skills and the ability to exercise good judgment are required to successfully handle these responsibilities. The individual should be a self-starter with the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines, have “easy to engage” attitude, as well as strong organization, communication, and document coordination skills. The candidate should also be highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, Access, Power-point and the use of Internet for research.
- Honest, duty conscious with excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize effectively.
- Works effectively with others in a team situation to achieve fundraising targets.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and ability to represent the organization in a professional manner to other team members and stakeholders
- Must be fluent in English and Kiswahili.
- Flexible, proactive and always willing to learn at any given opportunity
Method of Application
To apply for this position as Fundraising Assistant please send a brief covering letter (no more than one page of A4), outlining how you meet the requirements of the position, together with an up-to-date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 21st May 2018.
Applications will be assessed as they are received and an appointment will be made when a suitable candidate is found. Unfortunately, owing to limited resources, we cannot respond to non-shortlisted candidates.