NCCK, an umbrella organization for Protestant Churches and Christian Organizations registered in Kenya, invites applications from interested and suitably qualified candidates to fill the following position:
DUTY STATION: Head Office
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The position is responsible for leading in the design and development of NCCK’s Programme in Governance, Peace and Security; Economic Empowerment; Environment and Natural Resource Management. It will provide technical support and ensure resource mobilization, implementation, management, administration, monitoring and evaluation. It is also responsible for ensuring documentation, sharing of experiences and lessons that enhance programme accountability to partners and other stakeholders
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
RI. Programme Management
- Lead in the design, planning and implementation of strategies, agendas and campaigns at NCCK to support Governance, Environment and Economic Empowerment initiatives and activities.
- Develop programmes and projects that will facilitate NCCK initiatives in the identified focus areas of constitutional implementation and civic engagement; accountability and ethical governance; peace and security; economic empowerment; environment and natural resource management
- Gather, analyze and prioritize issues of governance at the local, national and global levels that NCCK needs to address in accordance to its specific objective.
- Work closely with the Programme Managers to build the capacity of the regional structure to accompany the membership in implementing their governance programmes and projects
- Support the development and implementation of budgets, and ensure monitoring and controls, for the unit
- Develop and implement mechanisms for continuous monitoring of policy developments in Kenya that have bearing on NCCK’s work in governance; economic empowerment; peace and security; and environment and natural resource management to its members, target groups and local communities within environment of operations.
- Facilitate the production of quality, accurate and timely programme reports and documents as per agreements, requirements and schedules/work-plans.
R2: Resource Mobilization and Fundraising
- In line with the corporate plan, facilitate the development of a resource mobilization plan for Governance Programmes
- Facilitate the execution of plans for resource mobilization and fundraising including the identification of resource requirements and opportunities for fundraising.
- Mobilize and raise adequate funds to meet the approved annual budget targets of the governance programmes as per the Corporate Plan 2014 – 2018 i.e. Kshs. 261,875,000 annually (see attached budget analysis).
- Ensure accurate data and information relating to governance programmes exists to support the development of concept papers and proposals.
- Proactively scout for new funding avenues, research on funding sources and establish strategies to approach funding agencies in the area of governance.
- Facilitate collection and documentation of the impact of governance initiatives namely success and transformational stories and evidence of change to support shared learning.
- Build capacity of the regional teams to mobilise resources for regional specific initiatives on governance, economic empowerment; peace and security and environment and natural resource management.
R3 Facilitation of Advocacy and Influencing
- Facilitate NCCK advocacy, capacity building and civic empowerment on governance, peace and security, environment and natural resources and economic empowerment issues.
- Work closely with the Programme Manager, CBM to facilitate the membership on advocacy.
- Facilitate the mainstreaming of gender and other marginalized categories in NCCK’s governance, peace and security, environment and natural resources and economic empowerment work.
- Facilitate scenario building, research and study on specific contextual issues affecting the lives of Kenyans and make available useful information for the effective function of the membership.
- Prepare and disseminate information on outcomes of programs and other relevant results to government partners so as to promote evidence-based policymaking and programming.
- Draft talking points, speeches and statements on the organization’s position on issues that relate to its areas of focus and interventions.
R4: Relationship Management, Networking and Collaboration
- Facilitate networking and collaboration needed to encourage debates and discussions on issues of governance, environment and economic empowerment that affect society.
- Represent NCCK in meetings, forums, seminar and conferences that are related to the Council’s work and supports governance and economic empowerment programmes as is necessary.
- Develop strategic links and collaboration with other local, national and international organizations to deliver common goals relating to campaigns in areas of common interest.
- Maintain good public relations, networking and collaboration with other like-minded organizations.
R5: Quality Assurance and Learning
- Facilitate research and study on issues of governance and Economic Empowerment.
- Facilitate mechanisms for determining the quality and impact of governance and economic empowerment Programmes initiatives internally and externally.
- Coordinate monitoring activities, baseline surveys, research, studies, external assessments and evaluations and use findings to improve program management.
- Support programs to undertake research on policy matters, build case studies, and assist in conducting operations research to inform programme work and agendas.
- Document and use experiences and lessons to enhance program work and promote learning both internally and externally.
R6: Management of Staff
- Responsible for supervision and management of staff in the unit.
- Provide leadership, management, supervision, mentoring and capacity building to staff within the unit.
- Maintain an effective, committed, and motivated program team and ensure that staff within the unit issues is addressed in a timely manner.
- Ensure effective supervision of staff, and timely handling of grievance and disciplinary issues.
- Undertake periodic performance evaluation of programme staff.
R6: Carry out any other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned by the Programmes Director from time to time.
JOB SPECIFICATION AND OTHER INFORMATION RELATED TO THE JOB
Level of Education/Academic Qualification
- Masters Degree in Social Sciences from a recognized University.
Specialized Training/Professional Qualifications
- Knowledge of Governance and Social Services Programmes in Kenya.
- Excellent analytical, communication and writing skills.
- Excellent advocacy skills
- Strong interpersonal relationships
- Excellent facilitation training skills and in using participatory learner centred methods.
- Ability to manage programmes, set priorities and plan for the successful implementation of programmes.
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft Excel and Word essential).
- Skills in resource mobilization
- Proven management capabilities
- Working experience with churches and communities
- Ability to multitask
- A committed Christian of good standing with the Church
Relevant Job Experience
- Five years post qualification experience in social science related work in recognized organizations.
- Five years experience in project management.
- Experience in partnership building, capacity building, networking and advocacy.
- Fluency in English language and working knowledge of Kiswahili is crucial.
- Experience in working with churches and church related organizations