World Vision is a global community of millions, working together for one purpose: to change the lives of vulnerable children.
Our supporters, partners and staff join forces with communities on the ground to help children enjoy good health, be educated for life, experience love of God and their neighbours and are cared for, protected and participating. Together we share proven, worldclass development methods to bring food, water, education and economic change.
Technical Specialist- Market Systems
Purpose of the position:
To provide county- level capacity building, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of all market systems strengthening interventions on agricultural production (crops and livestock), natural resource management and economic empowerment initiatives/activities in coordination with other program staff, consortium partners, private sector players and respective county officers from relevant ministries (e.g. Forestry and Environment, Agriculture and Livestock , Trade, Industry and Cooperative, Planning etc.) assigned to work with program as per IMARA program objectives aimed at achieving sustainable livelihood and resilient households in the targeted counties.
The position Holder must be able to communicate World Vision's Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that is an example to others.
Program Implementation, 50%
- In consultation with the Market Systems Advisor develop and implement plans for market development activities in the program
- Identify and develop resources required by respective counties to successfully implement, monitor and evaluate sustainable natural resources-based VCs, financial inclusion and other outcomes related to commercialization within the program
- Implement operational work plans related market systems in accordance with the budget, results framework, and administrative guidelines approved by the Program Steering Committee (PSC);
- Participate in budget processes and periodic budget reviews for IMARA program
- Stay abreast of new developments in market systems, livelihoods and financial inclusion, and participate actively in related technical working groups and forums;
- With Marketing Systems Advisor, identify viable and sustainable niche markets for natural; resources-based value chains including non-traditional wood products such as gums and raisins and link them to producers groups in respective counties;
- Facilitate the County specific Producer/marketing/Commercial Groups engage the keys market players through collective price negotiations, contracts and/or warehouse receipting;
- Facilitate promotion, establishment and reporting of village based Savings and Credit schemes through Savings for Transformation and onward linkage with formal financial service providers;
- Facilitate various Business Development Support Interventions in collaboration with key stakeholders
- Initiate various contextualized value natural resource-based chain development activities
- Initiate linkages between the producers, input suppliers, financial institutions, traders, private sector players, government and other actors along natural resource-based chains
- Provide technical assistance in the areas of NRM, agricultural/ livestock productivity, seed systems and agricultural/livestock value chains
- Coordinate the adoption of new marketing approaches in NRM, Agriculture/Livestock and Livelihoods development
- Implement decisions made by the Program Steering Committee (PSC) and the County Program Steering Committee (CPSC);
- Technical support to the program team in launching tenders and calls for proposal; contract service providers and implementing entities;
- Identify and facilitate establishment suitable innovative marketing information system (MIS) for the priority natural resource-based chains
- Monitor progress of work plan implementation, identifying issues (technical and coordination) and formulate solutions to address the identified issues and;
- Coordinate regular learning events and establishment of contractual engagements between various value chain actors
- Establish County multi-stakeholder marketing forum/platforms
Program DME (quality assurance): 20%
- Ensure development and roll out of County Program, policies, guidelines and strategies
- Facilitate the county in development of a detailed marketing systems and strategies for priority natural; resources-based value chains commodities that aligns with the county integrated development plans
- Develop operational work plans (AOPs) in accordance with the budget, results framework, and administrative guidelines approved by the Program Steering Committee (PSC);
- In consultation with the IMARA MEAL Coordinator develop a MEAL plan for market development activities in the program
- Ensure effective integration of traders mapping and market monitoring interventions with other programs in the program
- Track, in liaison with Program Manager and Accountant, program implementation expenditure levels and manage work plans and budgets;
- Timely mobilization and effective communication with various market actors, communities and stakeholders during baselines and evaluations
- Conduct periodic market assessment and develop relevant recommendations to be integrated in program planning
- Support the IMARA MEAL Coordinator to develop annual learning agenda, data analysis from the field and producing customized reports for various applications/interventions and;
- Support the County Program Steering Team in compiling reports every six months to be provided to the Secretariat that summarizes L & R program achievements, key challenges, lessons learned to date and detailing budget expenditures and investment plans from all stakeholders.
Capacity Building: Lead capacity building to ensure understanding and facilitate support to implementation, 10%
- Facilitate training needs identification for community producer groups, county staff and other public and private partners;
- Facilitate Business Development Support Services trainings to consortium staff, partners as well as community groups
- Organize for program staff to participate in relevant financial and market development related trainings.
Advocacy, Engagement and Networking, 15%
- Ensure that the key laws, policies, regulations and government service delivery standards in marketing systems and financial inclusion are shared, interpreted and explained to communities
- Effectively represent the program in stakeholder meetings at county and sub-county levels.
- Report on resource mobilization opportunities at county and sub-county level
- Provide information to inform fund raising initiatives at national level
- Work with the County Departments of Agriculture, Cooperative development, Trade, Social Services, Devolution & Planning, and Enterprise Development for technical directions and leveraging of resources to support Economic Development interventions in the Program.
- Facilitate community members to advocate on Economic Empowerment issues to relevant stakeholders;
- Work with Private sector, other NGOs, CBOs , FBOs, Committees and Groups with related objectives for synergy and sustainability and;
- Support community, sub-county and county level forums that facilitate identification of hindrances to effective market systems and marketing infrastructure
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
The following may be acquired through a combination of formal and prior experience or on-the-job training:
- A degree in Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness Management, and Marketing, or any other related discipline. Post graduate degree in any of the above or Business/MBA will be an added advantage;
- At least 4 years’ experience in designing, planning, implementing, supervising and reporting on integrated sustainable resource-based Value chains marketing, Business Development and/or Livelihoods programming in ASAL context is added advantage
- A broad grasp of socio - economic policy issues with respect to NRM, Agriculture, range management and marketing in both in rural often fragile settings
- Technical knowledge in NRM, Agriculture/Food security, Nutrition, Livestock and other Livelihoods, Social Protection, Gender issues and Youth inclusion
- Experience in working with partners, county governments, civil society, donors and local communities;
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- The ability to work independently, think innovatively and strategically and work effectively within a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and strict deadlines
- Strong financial/budget management skills required
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.