Kenya Ports Authority (KPA), is a Commercial and Strategic State Corporation mandated to maintain, operate, improve and regulate all sea ports on the Indian Ocean coastline of Kenya, inland waterways and Inland Container Depots.
KPA also has liaison offices in the transit markets of Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi. KPA aspires to position the Port of Mombasa as a competitive regional hub. The Port of Mombasa is the gateway to East and Central Africa and is one of the busiest Ports along the East African coastline.
The Port provides direct connectivity to over 80 Ports worldwide and is linked to a vast hinterland comprising Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, Northern Tanzania, Southern Sudan, Somalia and Ethiopia by road. A railway line also runs from the Port to Uganda and Tanzania.
The Authority is seeking to recruit exceptional leaders to fill the below positions:
Principal Operations Officer
Reporting to the Head of Inland Container Depot, the job holder is responsible for ensuring effective and efficient overall planning, directing, and supervision, execution of operations & KWATOS system for prompt delivery of service at the Inland Container Depot Nairobi.
- Liaising with all stakeholders and government agencies at the Depot to ensure efficient delivery of services.
- Determining the labor and equipment requirements required for smooth operations of ICDN operations
- Ensuring Rail, Yard, Shed and Gate operations achieve maximum output while utilizing optimum resources.
- Ensuring prompt preparation and distribution of the work schedules to enable efficient execution of the depot operations.
- Monitoring implementation of the operation plans and incase of deviation ensure corrective action is taken.
- Liaising with the Engineering personnel to avail equipment for planned maintenance and to ensure that breakdowns are attended to promptly.
- Controlling and ensure that all KPA charges are secured after they are computed accurately and promptly.
- Conducting both pre and post-operation review and report the areas of concern to the Head of Inland Container Depots.
- Ensuring cargo documentation and monitoring & control is done through the system.
- Liaising with counterparts and stakeholders and advises on all issues related KWATOS system that are affecting Operations.
- Organizing/conducting the stake-holders monthly meetings.
- Advising management on trends and operational activities and conduct post operation review for remedial action.
- Ensuring that hazardous, refrigerated and other special cargo/ containerized or loose are handled in accordance with the Authority Rules and Regulation.
- Be a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following fields: Maritime Affairs, Business Administration, Logistics, Transport, Shipping or in any other relevant field from a recognized institution
- Those with degrees in other fields but possess a Diploma in Shipping or Port Management/Operations will also be considered.
- A Master’s Degree in any of the above fields from a recognized institution will be an added advantage
- Be a valid member of a recognized professional body and be of good standing
- Have not less than five (5) years’ experience in logistics operations planning with at least three (3) years served at a managerial level
- Knowledge of Port Operations will be an added advantage.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Email or hard copy applications will not be accepted. Only those applications submitted through the e-recruitment portal will be considered. To be considered, your application must be received by not later than 26 February 2019 addressed to:
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited
Waiyaki Way, Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya
Kenya Ports Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), and committed to diversity and gender equality. Canvasing will lead to automatic disqualification.