Within delegated authority, the Associate Programme Management Officer, Urban Planning, will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the day to day development, implementation and evaluation of Project activities .; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Performs consulting assignments, including managing short-term consultants that will support specific Project activities in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources and formulates ideas for further research and publication of findings.
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; collects, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive support to implementing partners and contractors on specific activities related to urban planning, consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Liaise with county and local governments on relevant activities, maintaining close working relations with the JKP secretariat
- Performs other duties as required.
PROFESSIONALISM : Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Urban Panning; Regional Planning; Architecture; Environment; Environmental Management; Geography; Project Management; or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience in Knowledge management in relation to designing of data collection tools, carrying out research, data analysis, and interpreting responses to identify problems and prepare conclusions is desirable.
- Experience in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects and monitoring their implementation is desirable.
- Experience in preparation of written reports, studies, publications etc, while ensuring the inputs of various stakeholders are captured in the reports is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English and Kiswahili / Swahili (both oral and written) is required.