Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
United Nations and regional organizations; provides administrative and other support services to the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat); provides joint and common services to other organizations of the United Nations system in Kenya, as applicable; and manages and implements the program...
The ICT Infrastructure at UN Gigiri Complex in Nairobi, consists of 45 blocks, 14 conference rooms, and two server rooms and distribution switches spread over 145 acres of land. The network has more than 8,000 nodes, covers the Local Area Network, IP Telephony, ISPs and Telecom links, Communication Tower and Satellite Dishes, Wi-Fi, and Servers and Storage. UNON provides ICT Services for UNON, UNEP, UN-Habitat, and the Resident Coordinator System, in addition to Common Shared services for more than 55 Agencies, Funds, and Programs of the UN System located in Nairobi as Country Team or Regional Offices.
Within delegated authority, the Chief of Infrastructure Management Section is responsible for the following functions:
- Manage the operation and maintenance of huge and complex ICT Infrastructure to achieve high reliability and availability of services for clients accessing cloud-based services, and local systems in a secured manner, including infrastructure hosting services for UN collocated Agencies Funds and Programs.
- Plans and directs major projects related to ICT infrastructure including O365, IP Telephony, Network, Secretariat connectivity, Data Centres, Voice and Video Communications Infrastructure, Information Security, 5G mobile technology, Business Continuity, and Disaster Recovery for UNON.
- Provides expert advice on complex networks analysis and design; identifies the need for new solutions (or modifications to existing solutions) and responds to requests from users for new or enhanced services, including virtualization; develops plans for technological feasibility. Innovate towards Green ICT initiatives & Disability inclusion solutions.
- Formulates Request for Proposals (RFPs) for central infrastructure equipment (network, telecommunications, servers, and data storage), systems and services; provides technical specifications and standards for procurement of equipment; evaluates proposals from vendors; performs tests and recommends selection of equipment in the most expedient manner.
- Develops cost proposals for outgoing services and cost estimates for incoming services; oversees the technical evaluation of incoming proposals and technically manages the contract service.
- Tracks and monitors project progress against plan, requirements, quality measures, and standard processes; liaises with users on all aspects and during all phases of planning and implementation.
- Is actively involved in reviews, monitors and improves infrastructure security; undertakes a regular programme of self-audit and baselining by utilizing appropriate tools and in conjunction with formal audits as conducted by both Internal Audit and external testers.
- Acts as Change Manager for all requests for change related to ICT services, and coordinate implementation.
- Ensures that the team maintains Configuration Management Database for all component items related to UNON Infrastructure, and the Network Operating Centre is fully functional to monitor key components, and that critical alerts are addressed immediately.
- Develops, implements and monitors ICT infrastructure standards and guidelines and ensures that any changes take place in a controlled and auditable manner; contributes to defining ICT policy and following up with its implementation.
- Facilitates communication and provides emergency communications in support of staff security.
- Keeps abreast of developments in technology and provides leadership in identifying possible improvement of services, quality-wise and cost-wise, for ICT equipment.
- Provides professional leadership and work direction to the Unit; mentors and supervises the work of the staff, contract staff, etc.; participates in planning and preparation of the budget, work program, and spending plan.
- Prepares and makes presentations on communications topics, networks and equipment to staff; ensures effective coordination with other UN agencies in order to maximize possibilities of inter-agency collaboration.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of communication equipment with adequate skills for their installation and maintenance. Knowledge of operations of commercial telecommunications services, voice and data communications techniques, radio and satellite communication systems. Ability to analyze telecommunication data and conduct reviews. Good problem-solving skills. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- MANAGING PERFORMANCE: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in computer science, information systems, telecommunication, or other related fields is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
Job - Specific Qualification
- Certification in the Information Security field such as CISM, CISSP is required.
- Certified Data Center professional, PRINCE2 and CoBIT are desirable.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of information technologies and information communication technologies are required.
- Experience in implementing of Unified Communications solutions, business continuity management, Office 365, and project management is desirable.
- Experience in implementing and managing enterprise computer networks is desirable.
- Experience in the operations of commercial telecommunications services, voice and data communications techniques is desirable.