The Communications Manager will take a dynamic approach to developing and executing the Livestock Market Systems Activity communications strategy.
S/he will build relationships across the LMS project portfolio with staff and take a proactive approach to identifying stories and messaging that communicate LMS learning and results to various stakeholders, especially USAID.
S/he will lead both internal and external communications efforts, S/he will contribute to content-development of project outreach materials, including learning, success stories, Facebook/LinkedIn postings, Tweets, presentations, photography, videography, events management, and media relations.
S/he will liaise between project partners, beneficiaries, key project staff, and local service providers to build a strong bridge for the exchange of information and incorporate the project’s learning, results and findings into the overall communications and outreach activities of the project.
S/he will report directly to the Chief of Party. The position will be based in LMS office in Nairobi with eventual travel to the field.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review the existing communication strategy and update it regularly, as applicable.
- Develop the annual communications work plan based on the Leader and Associate awards work plans.
- Execute the activities in the communications work plan using overarching communication strategy for LMS.
- Attend monthly USAID communications meeting and actively participate in the LMS Communications Working Group and execute on action items that come out of these meetings.
- Proactively work with field staff across LMS using the project updates from the field and other reporting to identify learning and achievements.
- Craft messages (case studies, one pager, webinar, tweets, LinkedIn posts etc.) to disseminate learning and results to different stakeholders (USAID, implementing partners, government of Kenya and others);
- Coordinate with program staff to gather information for writing programmatic communications including manuals, graphics, articles, success and impact stories that offer analytical story telling.
- Share appropriate content with ACDI/VOCA’s HQ to be distributed on the weekly internal newsletter “AV Global”, on ACDI/VOCA’s public website and social media.
- Edit project reporting deliverables such as quarterly and annual reports to ensure we are communicating our progress, learning, and results in alignment with USAID’s Journey to Self-Reliance.
- Lead and coordinate with field staff the organization of events. This includes drafting communications collateral (manuals, press releases, key messages, success stories, talking points, graphics etc.).
- Build the capacity of and provide communications support to LMS team.
- Maintain a comprehensive database of communications consultants who can offer niche communications services.
- Manage LMS’s photo library and conduct photo editing as appropriate.
- Education: Master’s degree in Mass Communication or its equivalent
- Experience: A minimum of 5 years’ experience in communication specially using digital media and excellent writing skills.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Experience drafting and executing a comprehensive communication plan in support of a project strategy, incorporating a variety of media and tactics.
- Experience writing and managing content for a variety of media including digital and social media platforms (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.), video scripts and storyboarding, case studies, and factsheets/briefings.
- Ability to work proactively with teams to anticipate and identify learning and results occurring in the field and craft messaging around those.
- Ability to work independently as well as build relationships across a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to represent the project in external meetings including with the donor.
- Ability to research, analyze, evaluate, and synthesize information quickly.
- Ability and willingness to travel in LMS’s implementation counties (Garissa, Isiolo, Marsabit, Turkana, Wajir), including to remote locations.
- Knowledge of graphic design and photo/video editing software.
Please submit a resume to HRKenya@acdivoca.org no later than March 05, 2021.
In the subject line, please include the position title.
Applications will be reviewed promptly upon receipt, only finalist will be contacted.
ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, minorities, and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.