Objective and Scope of the Study
The purpose of the DONUTS Kenya coffee project baseline study is to determine and document reference data and information for defined indicators under the following three (3) components:
- Diversification, alternative/additional Income for coffee farmers in targeted cooperative societies
- Climate change and environment resilience, mitigation
- Inclusive and democratic coffee cooperative societies
The study will utilize standard UN definitions and metrics for measuring social economic status of Coffee producers in the target cooperative societies. This information is considered critical in setting targets for each project indicators/metrics
Methodology and Approach to the baseline study
The applicant is expected to;
- Develop suitable methodology (including sample size), appropriate study design and data collection instruments for use in the study. These will be approved by FTA before adoption and use.
- Utilize mixed methods (qualitative and quantitative approaches) for triangulation and data/information verification/validation purposes.
- Conduct in-depth data analysis to estimate baseline figures for the project.
- Draw comparison of the baseline data and information with other areas of the sector including national benchmarks.
- Provide key information and context of the project’s target groups and operational areas for more effective targeting and delivery of project’s interventions.
Deliverables of the Assignment
The successful consultant/firm will be required to produce the following outputs:
- An inception report complete with narrative in line with the ToR, Data instruments, timeframe/workplan among other sections.
- Complete baseline study report with data for each indicator as described in the logframe.
The consultant is expected to submit ALL deliverables outlined above within four (4) weeks in the month of March/April , 2023. The preferred start date for this assignment is March 15, 2023.
Fairtrade Africa seeks an experienced, proactive, and dedicated consultant to carry out this assignment. We welcome applications that meet the following criteria:
- Graduate qualifications/expertise in Agricultural Sciences, International Development, Community Development, Anthropology, or related field
- Over 5 years relevant experience in conducting baseline surveys and formative studies preferably in the agricultural sector.
- Professional qualifications in Project Management and / or Operations Research will be an added advantage
- Advanced skills and experience in computer applications
- Strong interpersonal, communication and reporting skills
Technical and Financial proposals from interested consultants or consultancy firms should include but not limited to the following elements:
- An introduction letter on the assignment
- A complete CV of the consultant outlining the relevant skills and experience
- Three references from organizations with whom similar assignments have been undertaken outlining the consultant’s role, performance, and the project deliverables
- Technical proposal detailing consultant’s proposed methodology and workplan
- Financial proposal with detailed budget for the assignment (inclusive of tax)