Goal and objective:
Under the supervision of the ESARO SBC Specialist (Immunization/Health) and in close coordination with the health section, the contractor will provide technical assistance to ESAR countries on the development of systematic, planned and evidence-based and theory driven SBC strategies aiming at increasing sustainable demand and uptake of essential health services.
Provide details/reference to AWP areas covered: The contractor will focus on addressing drivers and barriers associated to demand for health and immunization services. This includes the promotion and use of SBC data for programming and advocacy purposes, and the technical support to CO to ensure tailored strategies and plans are in place to reach all.
Activities and Tasks:
Support countries in the development and appropriate use of qualitative and quantitative research on social and behavioral drivers to inform the development and monitoring of SBC health promotion interventions
- In collaboration with the SBC data analysis consultant, support COs in data collection efforts, including selection of survey questions, sampling, selection of data collection methods, and data analysis to inform programming.
- Ensure that a mapping of ongoing data collection initiatives, both from UNICEF and key partners and stakeholders, is available and updated.
- Develop cross-country analysis to identify trends and suggest overarching key programmatic recommendations.
Support countries in the development of equitable and gender responsive routine immunization, new vaccine introduction and RMNCAH plans and related interventions for child survival, with emphasis on reaching zero-dose children.
- Provide inputs to evidence-based demand promotion plans and strategies, ensuring that targeted, human-centered, pro-equity, gender-responsive interventions are included.
- Support country effort to ensure adequate mainstreaming of Covid-19 vaccines into routine immunization systems.
- Support the selection of indicators to effectively measure social and behavioural change interventions
- Support the regional Demand Promotion sub-working group, placed under the Equity Technical Reference Group, to ensure UNCIEF technical leadership in the area of vaccine demand and uptake
- Prepare and share the agenda for the regional Demand Promotion sub-working group calls
- Share the minutes of the meetings and follow up on key action points
- Report to and coordinate with the regional Equity Technical Reference Group
- Ensure that monitoring and tracking forms are updated
Knowledge Management and Documentation
- Liaise with ESAR SBC KM focal point to ensure that all available demand promotion data is uploaded into key online platforms and adequately disseminated, highlighting country office experiences that could be showcased in existing ESARO SBC KM products and platforms.
- Support country offices in the development of abstracts to be submitted to scientific journals for publication.
- Produce a final consultancy report and 15 slides max PPT on key achievement.
The consultant will be supporting the whole ESARO SBC team and will be in regular contact with ESAR COs SBC focal points. In addition, collaboration with ESARO Health section will be required in a regular basis.
Desired Competencies, technical background and experience
- Masters degree or its equivalent is required in any of the following areas:
- Behavioral Health Sciences, Psychology, Sociology, Health Education and Promotion, Social Sciences, Public Health or another related field.
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience in SBC, demand for immunization, risk communication and community engagement
- Solid experience in Results-Based Measurement and in social and behavior change monitoring and evaluation
- Solid experience in multi-partner coordination
- Proven skills in communication, networking, and tools development.
- Proven skills in monitoring and evaluation of social and behavior change interventions
- Proven skills in social and behavioural data collection and analysis
- Proven skill in stakeholders’ coordination
- Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas as well as ensure knowledge transfer.
- Strong writing skills.