Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality.
As signatories of the International Committee of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should b...
Role & Responsibilities
The Nairobi Office Manager is responsible for the daily running of the Medair office in Nairobi; facilitating, coordinating, managing and monitoring all shared aspects of the Nairobi shared office and ensuring appropriate oversight. Managing the office budget and working with the South Sudan and Somalia teams, the GSO positioned staff/departments and the Finance and Logistics Shared Service Centres.
Medair’s Nairobi shared office supports a multi-sector relief and rehabilitation programme including: provision of primary and emergency health care, psychosocial services, nutrition services, water and sanitation, and non-food items and emergency shelter to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations of South Sudan and Somalia, as well as provide support services to various other programmes.
Workplace & Conditions
This is a Medair role based in Nairobi Kenya, reporting into the Global Support Office in Switzerland. Kenyan or those with a valid work permit for Kenya, can apply.
Key Activity Areas
- Ensure the overall management of the Nairobi Office including appropriate sizing of facilities for all stakeholders, contract management (rent, utilities, security), ongoing maintenance, discrete projects and any other duties that may arise to ensure the smooth running of the office space. Ensure the efficient provision of administrative services/support in the organisation of Medair global workshops and conferences (e.g. Sector workshops), and regional trainings in Nairobi.
- Overall management of the maintenance and quality control of any work on Medair premises in Nairobi.
- Make sure the base remains well stocked and furnished, while complying with the Medair procurement procedures.
- Oversee the organisation of and supervise activities of the office such as events, travel, conferences, trainings, office meetings and retreats. Develop the shared office budget in collaboration with the various shared office stakeholders. Monitor and manage the budget. Approve expenditure against the shared components. Ensure appropriate cost recovery from the various other (Country and GSO) budgets within Medair.
- Coordinate the development weekly/monthly duty rotas and ensure the fair allocation of duties and tasks that foster good team life. Promote and use the Medair online platforms, ensuring that all standardised guidelines are followed.
- Develop systems to improve transparency to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud within office. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
- Coordinate and facilitate understanding, planning and addressing shared resource requirements and needs within budget parameters. Meet the logistics related administrative requirements of Medair, donors, local legislation, suppliers, contractors, so that the logistical aspects of Nairobi office function efficiently, effectively and with integrity.
- Oversee stock management for the shared office in Nairobi, conducting periodic stock checks on behalf of the management team. Ensure good management of Medair shared resources; equipment, vehicles and staff time within the Nairobi office.
- Ensure that all Nairobi staff have the necessary Human Resource Partner type support for recruitment, contract related questions, disciplinary matters etc.
- Manage and oversee the direct reports, including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc. Hold regular meetings with any direct reports or people within the office who tasks can be delegated to, for the smooth running of the shared office.
- Reviewing objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work. Delegated matrix management of all Nairobi office-based staff for team contributions and activities.
- Coordinate and facilitate the collaboration between the shared office components, country programmes and the global support departments. Identify, address and resolve office interpersonal conflict and tensions.
- Hold regular team meetings with all Nairobi office-based staff to encourage information sharing and
prevent the formation of silos. Provide information updates to Nairobi-based staff about supported country programmes. Foster the spiritual aspect of Nairobi team life and lead the office in praying for Medair’s work.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of applicable activities and requirements. Provide feedback to GSO Support departments and South Sudan and Somalia Country Directors about developments and staff wellbeing in the Nairobi office.
- Maintain positive relationships with any other stakeholders related to office management and security, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Ensure the good management of any security incidents occurring in Nairobi, with support from the South Sudan Rep and Country Director and Somalia Country Director as required.
- Working with the South Sudan and Somalia Country Directors, SOM Deputy Country Director and SOM Programme Support Manager, ensure facilities are secure & compliant with Medair security requirements.
- Ensure the Nairobi Security plan is reviewed and updated every 6 months or as required if the security situation changes. Ensure security briefings are provided for Medair staff arriving in Nairobi.
- Ensure all staff are aware and compliant with the security requirements while in Nairobi.
- Ensure there is good communication, shared ad hoc and regular messages and guidance on Kenya security for international and transiting staff using the Medair accommodation or hotels in Nairobi.
- Ensure Nairobi facilities are safety compliant and equipped in accordance with staff health guidelines.
- Facilitate welcoming and familiarising visitors and new staff to the Nairobi office and accommodation.
- Ensure that Medair’s operations in Nairobi are compliant with Kenyan NGO regulations. Maintain Medair’s registration with the Kenyan NGO Board.
- Provide administrative support to the Medair East Africa Board.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
- This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or other.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 6 - 8 years’ post-qualification professional experience.
- At least 3 years humanitarian management experience, Personnel / Project Management / Security management experience including preferably experience training and supervising teams.
- Good communications skills, team player experienced in working in a cross-cultural setting, ability to communicate ideas clearly.
- Good interpersonal skills. Able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate.
- Ability to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks and to take the initiative in support decisions, problem solving ability, good negotiation skills. Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff. Support team in upholding Medair values.
- Committed to consultative and servant-minded leadership. Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and The Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability (CHS).