The YHP Project Manager will ensure that project outcomes are realized through providing effective, timely and coordinated project management. S/he will provide direct technical input in the implementation in accordance to donor/Organisations guidelines and standards.
The job holder will manage multi-million-dollar projects and must be abreast with donor regulations, environment and reporting. He/ She will be based in Kenya and will be part of a global group and exchange ideas and learning with other YHP managers in other countries on a regular basis.
ACCOUNTABILITIES MAIN WORK ACTIVITIEs
Planning, strategy and policy (30%)
- Support project teams to develop quality project outlines and ensure that projects are in line with the Country Strategy and the Program Influencing & Quality Policy (PIQP).
- Promote compliance with donor requirements and regulations in project implementation
- Lead start-up meetings of new projects to guarantee a joint understanding among stake holders on project objective and expectations.
- Promote the realization of set targets quality outcomes.
- Identify and manage project risk
Programme and project design and influence (25%)
- In liaison with M&E, establish proper data management systems in accordance with the donor reporting requirements.
- Monitor the progress of project implementation and undertake corrective actions.
- Promote evidence-based programming.
- Develop quality and timely reports in accordance with donor guidelines and procedures.
- With support of M&E, enhance learning and knowledge management through documentation and profiling of Plan’s work.
Working in Partnership and Resource Mobilisation (15%)
- Participate in external meeting with partners and other stakeholders on project’s deliverables.
- Promote sensitization of stakeholders and partners on Plan’s policies, strategies, procedures, values and behaviours.
- Coordinate with other NGOs, local and private sector players working within the operational areas to expand opportunities for partnerships.
- Engage and influence key duty bearers towards realization of children rights at the sub-county and county level.
- Promote active engagement and participation of communities in Project activities
Financial Responsibility (10%)
- Preparation and submission of accurate and timely financial reports according to donor regulations Develop and regularly update annual and quarterly project implementation plans and budgets.
- Monitor expenditures to promote prudent budget managment and adherence to approved budget.
- Promote compliance with relevant donor policies, contracts and agreements.
Capability building and People Management (10%)
- Promote good team management in accordance to Plan purpose and value
- Performance management of all direct reports and mentor direct reports to enhance their skills for project delivery
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) (5%)
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Leads the orientation of programme staff to ensure that they are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in project design, during implementation and as principles applied in day-to-day work of Programme team;
- Ensures that Plan Kenya contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
Other duties (5%)
Other tasks and responsibilities as may be assigned by the line Manager
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
Qualifications/ experience essential: •
- Bachelors degree in Project management, Development studies, Social sciences, M&E, or any other relevant qualification.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public health is an added advantage
- 3 to 5 years’ relevant experience
- Demonstrable experience managing projects with large budgets portfolio within the health sector.
- Demonstrable experience in project cycle management
- Experienced working with and preferably have contacts within the government, particularly Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education, and other relevant ministries and networks
- Effective team management experience
- Sound understanding of integrated development issues and rights-based programming.
- Willingness to sign and adhere to the Plan Safeguarding children and young people policy.
Qualifications/ experience desirable:
- Master’s degree
- Analytical and report writing skills
- Good Interpersonal / Communication skills
- Strategic planning skills
- Results orientated
- Relevant computer skills
- Budget and Cost Control
- Risk management
- Monitoring and Evaluation skills