Reporting to the Country Security Manager, this position will support the Country Security Manager ensure that the security standards of ACTED staff are high and ensure high-level security of all ACTED staff, assets, property and resources within ACTED sphere of influence and context of operations. They will acquire operational comprehensive understanding of ACTED program in Kenya and provide support and advice in terms of security. He/she is accountable for compliance of ACTED security and safety guidelines.
The Security Officer will be involved in the smooth running of the Security Unit within the ACTED Kenya Operations and will also support ACTED operations in Uganda and Somalia. In addition, s/he will be responsible for ensuring conducting continuous security risk assessments and mitigating the security risks.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide regular contextual security report and share with Security Manager.
- In concert with Kenya Security Department, carry out security assessments and evaluations (Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) self-assessment) in all ACTED area, particularly in Kenya.
- Update Security risks assessment, SOPs and others security documents as appropriate and share with Coordination and all local staff and ensure the security notice rules are applied.
- Report any damage to security infrastructure, and technical installations to the Logistics team.
- Ensure constant update of the emergency contact list and timely issuance of ID cards.
- Ensure a proper level of preparation before movement on the field, transportation means are adapted, a good fleet maintenance, and set movement rules which are adapted to the local context to support the Logistic team in Country. Ensure Operational follow-up of movements.
Briefing and training
- Provide security briefings for all incoming ACTED staff with follow-up periodically or when applicable.
- Provide security briefing to staff as needed and ensure that all staffs adhere to security policies and procedures. This includes briefing to all newly recruited staff joining ACTED, and induction briefings for visiting personnel.
Liaison with humanitarian, military, community and other actors
- Establish a strong relationship with others security actors, including INGO, SNGO and agencies working in the security management filed.
- Share security updates with ACTED coordination.
- Report on all compound security and reporting from bases on agreed time-frames.
- Fill reports in case of security incident and follow up as appropriate.
- Fill the incident data base for Kenya and centralize the national incident data base.
- Participate in the writing/updating of Country Security Plan and annexes.
- Record the field security focal points in the Security Monitoring Plan daily.
- Ensure proper filing/file maintenance of security related documents.
Required qualifications and technical expertise:
- Bachelor’s Degree in security / safety management or Safety management; other related education
- In-depth knowledge of security management and risk management
- Proven knowledge in occupational Health Safety environment.
- Investigations training is an added advantage
- Computer literacy is mandatory
- Basic First aid and fire safety training.
- Extensive knowledge of Country’s context.
- Willingness to travel up to different locations in Kenya
- Being conversant in Somali language will be considered an advantage.
- Previous experience of working with an INGOs is an asset;
- At least four years’ experience in risk management, safety and security operations
- At least two years’ experience on humanitarian security.
- Experience in training and capacity-building of staff in matters security and safety
Essential knowledge, Skills and Competency:
- Must have effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to write high quality reports in English.
- Strong analytical as well as administrative skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and team-playing skills.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Should be versatile and able to perform more than one task as deemed necessary.
- Must be dedicated, committed and able to think outside the box.
- Autonomous and able to direct him/herself with minimal guidance.
- Should have great leadership, problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Must ensure, compliance, transparency and accountability all the time.
- Must have good planning, operationalization and organizing skills.
- Applicants must have a legal right to work in Kenya; this is not an international position.
Qualified Kenya Nationals with the required skills are invited to submit their applications by 10/8/2022, 05:00PM to [email protected] with the subject line: APPLICATION FOR SECURITY OFFICER accompanied with:
- Curriculum Vitae (Maximum 03 Pages)
- Cover Letter (Maximum 01 Page)
Cover Letter and CV must be shared as a single PDF document i.e with the Cover Letter being on the first page and CV starting on the next page, detailing 03 work referees and their day time contacts. Please do not attach any other documents while sending your application. If required they will be requested at a later stage.