This role will primarily be responsible for bi/multilateral donor relationships and funding opportunities in Kenya. Still, it will also play an interface role in supporting the philanthropic fundraising teams based in Washington, DC, and San Francisco. This position will be a vital member of the Kenya country team, will stay abreast of all things Kenya, help the rest of the BD team track down information, connect the right people internally and externally, and strengthen BD’s ability to compellingly pitch LG’s Kenya work via improved real-time communication and collaboration.
We are looking for someone who wants to pour their heart and soul into helping us identify and secure funds, primarily from bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, GAVI, Global Fund, FCDO, etc., but also from Africa-based foundations and corporations. This role will also work with our program team to identify and execute opportunities to embrace traditional and non-traditional resource mobilization strategies (co-finance and other innovative financing) to support the organizational revenue/income growth plan and the sector at large, including leveraging resources from others (national government, implementing partners, etc.)
We want self-starters who are excited to work in a growing organization, can write well, and have fun.
- BD Strategy: You will contribute to developing and implementing the Bi/Multi-strategy working closely with the BD Deputy Director to advance Kenya's strategic goals and grow our revenue, profile, and influence. You will also direct all fundraising efforts at the country level and monitor the progress of country fundraising plans and priorities. You will help ensure donor perspectives and learnings are informing Living Goods work.
- Secure new business: This position will have a significant focus on bringing in new & diverse donors to Living Goods. You will help the management to actively identify and monitor funding and partnership opportunities systematically and conduct pipeline forecasting and donor surveillance to track the release of procurements.You will lead concept notes/proposal development, help assemble proposal development teams, and provide effective coordination to ensure the submission of high-quality concept notes and proposals aligned with the organization’s strategic priorities. You will work with top-tier donors to influence and co-create opportunities to mobilize resources to support Living Goods and the Government of Kenya, to increase Community Health funding for government-led programming.
- Strategic stakeholder engagement: You are responsible for identifying and pursuing strategic opportunities to engage, coordinate, and partner with key stakeholders at the country level to facilitate technical program exchanges, influence policy and thinking, and identify critical areas of potential cooperation, including program funding. Working collaboratively within the Partnership, Advocacy, and Communications team, you will work closely with the Senior Manager, Partnerships, and Stakeholder Engagement to cultivate, maintain and grow existing relationships. You will help monitor and track stakeholder priorities and new trends in the field.
- Raise our profile. You will raise awareness about Living Goods by cultivating relationships with Kenya based NGO’s/implementing partners and bilateral/multilateral donors. You will identify strategic speaking opportunities and represent Living Goods at donor events and global health meetings and conferences to raise LG’s brand and influence in the country, amplifying our unique value proposition in the country. You will spend a lot of your time away from your desk or virtually getting some face time with key stakeholders in our business, establishing Living Goods as a Thought Leader in Community Health.
- Capacity building: Provide guidance and oversight on capacity assessments to staff and partners working with donor funding in the country.
- Home systems: You will document and implement business processes, procedures, and templates to improve the workflow of the business development team.
- Motivate & organize people: Each proposal effort you lead is a chamber orchestra comprised of external partners and internal colleagues. You will serve as the conductor of each orchestra – leading discussions on strategy, creating buy-in around responsibilities and timelines, and guiding players at every step in the proposal process. You will also get our senior management excited about being part of the fundraising process, providing regular updates on our donor and partner priorities, and supporting them to always be eyes and ears for business development.
- International NGO experience: You have experience working in global health or international development organizations. You have traveled extensively or lived in a developing country.
- Business development experience: You have 7+ years of experience, at least five years related to developing grant proposals for bi/multilateral funding. You know the world of USAID and donor agencies like FCDO, the Global Fund, GAVI, and large foundations. You are well versed in US government funding mechanisms and procedures.
- Strong writing skills: You have experience drafting successful funding proposals. You can write thoroughly yet simply about complex topics. You have a sharp eye and can write about broad themes and minute details.
- Collaborative spirit: We want someone who actively listens and communicates. You connect easily with their team and gain their trust and respect. Someone who can work well across departments -- with executive team members, country representatives, and organizational peers.
- Resourcefulness: You can identify and recruit partners for projects during proposal development. When presented with problems, you know where to go to find answers.
- Project management skills: You can scope and track potential opportunities, organize proposal calendars, develop collaborative timelines and execute action plans.
- Team player: You play well with others and enjoy seeing the impact of our work as a team.
- Multitasks: You can juggle multiple tasks at once while ‘staying calm and carrying on.’ You think strategically, handle ambiguity and work well in a multicultural environment.