Job Purpose Statement
The purpose of the role is to lead a team of Credit Managers within corporate credit unit. The job function will have an overall responsibility of ensuring quality appraisal of credit applications by the team for new, renewal and/or extensions of credit, using a range of criteria including and not limited to the applicants business and financial records, credit history, bank records, tax returns and other credit-related data, stress-tested in the context of the operating (political, economic, social, technological/digital, legal/regulatory and environmental) landscape to ascertain the risk involved in extending credit and the ability of the applicant to repay, and make recommendations on the nature, structure and terms of the loan or line of credit that will protect the bank’s ability to recoup funds loaned at a profit based on the applicants' credit score and credit worthiness.
The job holder will be responsible for the quality of all credit requests prepared by the team, they will also be expected to prepare sound, prudent and judicious credit request proposals in line with the Bank’s credit policy.
Key Accountabilities (Duties and Responsibilities)
This position is responsible for researching, analysing, identifying and presenting opportunities for lending, supporting the achievement of Corporate banking division financial targets both top-line growth and portfolio performance targets:
- Increase revenue from existing and new customers and share of wallet thereon
- Attain target Facility fees
- Quality of portfolio (Maintain PAR/ NPL & impairment charge within set metrics)
Internal business processes
This position is responsible for collaborating with internal and external partners to determine the risk vs. benefits of lending to customers that result in customer acquisition and providing insightful feedback on industry trends: The job holder will be responsible to ensure;
- Adherence of SLA by all the stakeholders
- Adherence to agreed turnaround times
- Adherence to Credit Policy and ensuring breaches are highlighted at all times
- That all audit issues are;
- closed within the quarter of identification, or within agreed time frames, whichever is shorter
- Nil repeat findings
- Ensure Audit rating improvement from previous period
- Robust Covenant Monitoring to ensure that all approved covenants are tracked as per approval terms
- Proper Environmental and Social Monitoring (E&S) & reporting by;
- Continuous review of E&S monitoring & reporting process to align to policy requirements
- Validation of the E&S categorization and the E&S appraisal
- Guide the relevant stakeholders to ensure that E&S assessments are conducted as per policy requirements and procedures
- Enhanced credit origination system (CQ) experience by championing continuous improvement in the workflow processes to ensure smooth
Customer; Keeping the promise
Enhance customer experience through timely annual reviews and meeting set turnaround times on all facilities by;
- Ensuring SLA Adherence of 5 days for CR preparation by the Credit managers
- Ensuring 100% timely annual review of facilities
- Ensuring periodic monitoring of facility covenants by the team e.g (Debenture valuation, share of wallet, trigger events etc.)
- Continuous training and engagement of the team to reduce the number of reworks based on quality of the CR’s
Connection; Market leadership
Improvement in returns per customer through identification of revenue leakage or additional revenue opportunities through structuring and offering appropriate products
Learning and growth
- Participation in learning opportunities both on-the job and classroom trainings available through the learning academy
- Identify training needs for the corporate credit managers
- Determine and manage leave & succession plans for self and team members
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree from a recognized accredited university
- Desirable: Masters’ degree will be an added advantage
CPA / ACCA qualification
Desired work experience:
- A minimum of 6 years’ relevant experience in a similar-sized organisation.
- Good track record of credit analysis and financial understanding. Has demonstrated over the span of the career credit and financial analysis skills required to effectively perform credit analysis and portfolio maintenance activities/tasks in a manner that consistently achieves high-quality standards or benchmarks.
- In-depth knowledge of the local banking industry, banking products, banking services and banking regulations. Sound working knowledge and understanding of general commercial regulations and practices.
- Seasoned industry player through breadth and depth of exposure to diverse players, across multiple channels and platforms. Shares insights on industry trends; identifies opportunities that can be exploited and concerns to be avoided/mitigated against.
- Reference point and mentor for customers, colleagues, partners, government, etc.
- Identifies and interprets risks related to sector, industry and business dynamics and the influence of macroeconomic, market-driven, competitive, and strategic influences on current and future industry and business risks.
- Insights guide the development of the capital allocation plan for the organisation.
- Certified Credit Executive (CCE) or equivalent.
Continuously builds and strengthens networks for the institution within all spheres of the economy within the region; at all levels of commerce, government, society, etc.
Influences others to persevere through challenges to deliver.
Acknowledges employees and colleagues who follow through and demonstrate commitment.