Key Duties and Responsibilities
Program Development & Management
- Provide technical guidance to the implementing partners, identify and address key issues, harmonize technical objectives and approaches, formulate guidelines for the implementation of CLMP, Young African Policy Fellows and any other youth leadership trainings.
- Coordinate the recruitment and supervision of experts/contract institutions as required to undertake tasks of the implementation of leadership training programmes.
- Facilitate and train on various courses/modules as necessary
- Plan the recruitment of trainee candidates each year for the above or other related leadership trainings as needed.
- Develop workplan and curriculum and deliver on the leaderships trainings as scheduled
- Coordinate the mentorship element of leadership trainings.
- Plan and coordinate field trips for leadership trainings.
- Ensure effective liaison and maintain good communication with relevant stakeholders in the region.
- With guidance from the Senior Manager, Youth Leadership Program- maintain records on technical and financial aspects of program operation, including monitoring of project activities and their outcomes; as well as minutes, decisions and recommendations of meetings and workshops.
Partnership and Network Building
- Establish and maintain partnerships that can support all leadership programmes.
- In collaboration with the HR lead, facilitate external synergies/partnerships for CLMP & the Young African Policy Fellows.
Measuring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
- Work with the AWF M&E global team to ensure that MEAL tools are developed, rolled out and analyzed according to institutional metrics; indicators are tracked; and findings inform the Youth Programming.
- Coordinate with communications and the Knowledge management department teams so that most significant change stories are documented, filed and disseminated.
- Coordinate appointments, documents for signature/approval; monitor and follow up on issues and priorities; incoming correspondence and internal and external queries; draft and handle routine correspondence related to leadership trainings.
- Set up and record all meetings with the external partners.
- Perform ad hoc duties and other duties assigned by management.
Human rights are a guiding principle in the AWF Strategic Vision 2020-2030, embedded in our core principles and core values. AWF’s mission is to ensure that wildlife and wildlands thrive in modern Africa. AWF understands a modern Africa to be an Africa in which human rights are fulfilled and commits to respect, protect, and promote human rights at all times, irrespective of ethnic group, gender, race, sexual orientation, age, or class by adopting a rights-based conservation approach. The role holder will come in to contact with a wide range of stakeholders and will be required to demonstrate commitment to and a good understanding of AWF’s Rights Based Conservation approaches, values and principles.
- At least 5 years working experience in curating, facilitating and overseeing implementation of leadership programmes, preferably in the environmental sector.
- A Bachelors in environmental sciences, conservation, business or social sciences. Experience in related disciplines (or) significant international experience can be substituted for degree relevance.
- Extensive experience in the management and the delivery of complex leadership programs at national or regional levels.
- Strong coordination skills including ability to provide technical guidance, and oversight, build strong teams, develop workplans, and manage budgets and project expenditures.
- Good multi-cultural and interpersonal skills and experience in networking with partners at all levels (ministry, donors, private sector, NGOs and local community-based organizations).
- Experience working with or in international organizations
- Keen interest in Conservation and AWF’s mission
- Proven written, analytical, presentation and reporting skills and computing skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Fluency in French is an added advantage.