Kenya National Trading Corporation - KNTC was set up in 1965 as a private limited company owned by the Government. The main objective was to organise and effect exports from and imports into Kenya. KNTC could do business with countries where trading was controlled by the Government on an equal footing and thus strengthen private enterprise with other countr...
Read more about this company
Job Grade : KNTC 3
Reporting to : Managing Director, Board of Directors
Supervises : Principal Legal Officer, Senior Legal Officer, Legal Officers
Working Relationships : Board of Directors, Managing Director, General Managers,
Divisional Heads, All staff, External stakeholders.
The incumbent shall be responsible for management of Corporate Legal Affairs, provision of Company Secretarial services and implementation of the Mwongozo Code of Governance for State Corporations. The incumbent will also ensure effective and efficient management of contract administration, company insurance, and compliance with legal and regulatory legislation including provision of legal advice to members of management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(i) Providing Company Secretarial services to the Board through coordination of preparation of Board agenda and papers by Heads of Departments and Sections and arrangement of Board Committee Meetings;
- Preparing Minutes of the Board in a timely manner and ensuring their circulation
- Keeping custody of the records of the Corporation and the preservation of original documents;
- Advising the Corporation on various legal matters and monitors the compliance of the company with various regulations issued by the Regulatory Bodies;
- Advising the Corporation and coordination with the functional areas in relation to various legal requirements which must be complied with and the legal obstacles which must be overcome in order to obtain the Corporations targeted results;
- Overseeing and managing compliance issues within the Board;
- Ensuring timely compliance with rules and regulations affecting the Board, including the Code of Conduct and Ethics;
- Attending to all legal matters of the Corporation including advising, vetting and drafting of legal agreements in relation to the Board’s operations;
- Providing advice to the management of the Corporation on all legal, regulatory and contractual matters affecting the operations, business interest or assets of the Corporation, including industrial matters;
- Ensuring compliance by the Corporation of relevant statutory and regulatory requirements relevant to its business;
- Safeguarding Corporation’s interests and ensure that they are adequately defended before the Courts either through internal legal resource or use of appointed external Corporation lawyers;
- Preparing , vetting negotiating and executing contracts on behalf of the Corporation;
- Nurturing the section competencies and promoting a working environment that optimizes individual and team potential;
- Drafting and reviewing contracts and agreements and Corporation statutes and rules to ensure that the Corporation’s interests are protected;
- Interpreting legal documents on behalf of the Corporation and its subsidiaries/affiliates; and
- Keeping track on new legislation and advise the Corporation accordingly.
- Ensuring that divisional staff performance appraisal is conducted
- Preparing and implementing the corruption prevention plan and strategies
For appointment to this grade, an officer must:
- Have at least eight (8) years’ work relevant experience three (3) must have been in management position;
- Have Bachelor of Laws degree from a recognized institution;
- Have Masters Degree in any of the following disciplines: Law, Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution;
- Have postgraduate Diploma in Legal Studies from the Council of Legal Education;
- Have been admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
- Have a Certificate in Management Course lasting not less than six (4) weeks from a recognized institution;
- Have Passed Certified Public Secretary (K) or its equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- Membership to a relevant professional body;
- Be proficient in computer applications;
- Have demonstrated professional competence and administrative capability as reflected in work performance and results; and
- Fulfil the requirements of Chapter Six (6) of the Constitution.
Key Competencies and skills:
- Strategic thinking;
- Administrative and Coordination skills;
- Analytical skill;
- Networking and relationship building skills;
- Strong communication ad reporting skills;
- Strong managerial skills and ability to lead teams;
- Mentoring, coaching and leadership skills;
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills; and
- Team player.
go to method of application »
Job Title : Managing Director
Job Grade : KNTC 1
Reporting to : Board of Directors
Supervises : General Managers, Divisional Heads
Working Relationships : Board of Directors, General Managers, Divisional Heads,All staff, External stakeholders.
The incumbent shall be responsible to the Board of Directors for the day to day management and administration of all the activities and affairs of the Corporation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensuring implementation of the Board of Directors’ decisions;
- Overseeing the development, implementation and review of the Corporation’s long term strategies, business plans, annual operating budgets;
- Providing leadership and strategic direction (formulation, implementation and evaluation) in accordance with the Corporation’s vision, mission, goals and standards;
- Ensuring that all financial and non-financial resources of the Corporation are effectively and efficiently managed;
- Maintaining financial controls, prudent procedures, adequate records, and accountability standards that meet requirements of state corporations, the funding partners and other collaborating agencies;
- (vi) Providing strategic leadership in Corporation’s programme, work and operations;
- Ensuring close partner and collaborative relationships between the Corporation and government or private sector;
- Fast track the implementation of the staff and the corporate performance Contract;
- Provide advice to the Board on all matters related to commercial activities, the emerging trends and new market ventures;
- Facilitating marketing functions;
- Ensuring KNTC complies with relevant legislations;
- Ensuring continual improvement in the quality and value of services and products provided by the Corporation;
- Fostering a corporate culture that promotes implementation of ethical and good corporate governance practices.
- Providing effective links between the Corporation and stakeholders locally as well as internationally;
- Serve as the link between the Board of Directors and the members of staff;
- Being the Corporation’s accounting officer for all matters appertaining to running of the affairs of the Corporation;
- Transacting, managing and making decisions which may be necessary in the conduct of Corporation’s business; and
- Directing, managing and developing staff including: hiring, orientation, training, counseling and evaluation and support them in their professional and personal development and approve termination from the Corporation’s service.
For appointment to this grade, an officer must have:
- A minimum period of fifteen (15) years work experience in a busy commercial environment.
- At least six (6) years relevant work experience in Senior Management.
- Bachelors Degree in any of the following disciplines: - Business Administration, Commerce, Marketing, Human Resource, Public Relations, Economics, Finance or equivalent qualification from a recognized Institution;
- Masters Degree in any of the following disciplines: - Business Administration, Commerce, Marketing, Human Resource, Public Relations, Economics, Finance or equivalent qualification from a recognized Institution;
- Be a member of a professional body where applicable;
- Certificate in Leadership Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a recognized Institution;
- Proficiency in computer applications;
- Demonstrated managerial, administrative, and professional competence in work performance and results; and
- Fulfill the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution;
- Exhibited a thorough understanding of public sector institutions, national goals, policies, objectives and ability to relate them to proper management of KNTC Function.
Key Competencies and skills:
In addition, an officer must demonstrate;-
- Strategic in mindset with an eye for detail and sense of corporate focus
- Transformational manager with energy and creativity to turn around the organization and positively impact the stakeholders
- Exposure to high level institutional partnership, collaboration and networking roles
- Experience in competitive set ups with significant distribution and stock costing
- Good administrative and coordination skills
- Ability to manage and sustain high cost center performance, compliance and performance standards
- Familiarity with Government financial, operational and development plans and vision 2030
- Understanding of trade policies and regulations in a trading environment
- Business development skills
- Interpersonal, Communication, Negotiation and Analytical skills;
- Pro-activeness and ability to work under pressure;
- Managerial, supervisory and Leadership skills;
- Decision making and problem solving skills;
- Professionalism; Ethical and Team skills.
Method of Application
Suitably qualified candidates are hereby called upon to apply in confidence to the address below via Post Office or Hand delivery or via the Email [email protected] latest 9th October, 2020 enclosing cover letter, CV with full details of education background, professional qualifications and relevant experience together with copies of testimonials, academic certificates and National Identity card.
KENYA NATIONAL TRADING CORPORATION
2ND FLOOR, KNTC COMPLEX
OFF NANYUKI ROAD, INDUSTRIAL AREA
P. O. BOX 30587 - 00100
All hardcopy applications sent through Post Office or hand delivery MUST be accompanied by a soft copy to email provided above.
KNTC is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified persons including the Youth, Women, Persons with Disability and persons from Minority groups to apply. Only successful candidates shall be contacted for interviews and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Previous applicants who wish to be considered are advised to re-apply.
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.