KPMG is a professional service company, being one of the Big Four auditors, along with Deloitte, EY and PwC. Seated in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, KPMG employs 174,000 people and has three lines of services: audit, tax, and advisory.
Read more about this company
Our Client, a reputable financial institution within the region, is looking for a strategic thinker with good leadership and commercial acumen to fill the role of Director, Legal. The ideal candidate will be experienced in providing advice to financial services institutions on legal, regulatory, compliance and governance matters while overseeing a team of legal professionals. This role will suit an individual who has excellent communication, decision making, customer focused, leadership, stakeholder management and interpersonal skills and a proven track record in establishing and maintaining meaningful collaborations through all levels of the organization.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the role holder will be responsible for providing advice to the Institution on Legal, Regulatory, Compliance and Governance matters while overseeing the day to day operations of the Division in line with the Institution’s Overall Corporate Strategy.
Summary of responsibilities
The key responsibilities of the Director, Legal will be:
- Developing and implementing the Legal Division strategy, policies and procedures in line with the Institution’s overall Corporate strategy.
- Organizing and establishing day-to-day management of the Institution’s legal staff and processes in line with agreed objectives, policies and procedures.
- Providing legal advisory services to the Institution to ensure statutory compliance with the existing law and regulatory requirements.
- Establishing and maintaining effective legal processes to ensure the timely delivery of all required business documentation and foster the development of appropriate forms of standardized documentation.
- Lead the provision of legal advice to management and staff in all areas of the Institutions’ activities and in proffering solutions to legal problems, constraints, risks, options, consequences and approaches, preparing legal opinions, advisories and briefs.
- Preparing litigation documents; pleadings, notices, affidavits and correspondence.
- Vetting and drafting legal documents including contracts and leases.
- Liaising with external lawyers handling legal matters on behalf of the Institution.
- Rendering professional legal advice to the Board, Managing Director and management for any legal action to be initiated and/ or defending the interests of the Institution.
- Monitoring legal developments and trends in policies, bills and update the Institution on any changes in the law.
- Undertaking internal legal compliance audits and ensuring recommendations are disseminated and implemented.
- Maintenance, custody and updating of the Institutions’ statutory books and returns.
- In Liaison with the relevant Divisions such as Credit, support Recoveries of the Debt from the Institutions bad debt portfolio.
- Representing the Institution’s internally and externally in negotiation, disputes, consultations and other proceedings that require legal representation.
The ideal candidate will be a qualified Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and have a Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB), Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law. Master’s degree in Law or experience in Company Secretarial will be an added advantage. The Candidate should also be a registered member of a relevant professional body in good standing. In addition, they should have at least of ten (10) years’ experience in Commercial Law as a Senior Legal Officer in a publicly quoted Company or Financial Institution, five (5) years’ of which should be at a Senior Management level.
go to method of application »
Our Client, a reputable financial institution within the region, is looking for a creative, strategic thinking, highly qualified and experienced individual to fill the role of Head of Financial Reporting & Controls. The ideal candidate will be experienced in all aspects of financial reporting, general ledger administration, fixed assets accounting, payment management, internal financial controls, budgeting and control, taxation, financial projects, administration and staff matters. This role will suit an individual who has excellent analytical, leadership, critical thinking, interpersonal skills and a proven track record in establishing and leading highly efficient financial solutions.
Reporting to the Director Finance & Strategy, the role holder will be responsible for leading and driving the design and execution of financial services and the overall management of the finance department.
Summary of responsibilities
The key responsibilities of the Head, Financial Reporting and Controls will be:
- Providing leadership to the finance management team to ensure timely delivery of all financial statements.
- Supporting the Director Finance & Strategy in ensuring there is proper staffing and development of finance staff .
- Ensuring timely and accurate reports are prepared and shared in accordance with the Institution’s and Group Accounting policies and respond to any queries that may arise.
- Reporting any instances of non-compliance with local statutory and CBK guidelines / requirements to the Director Finance.
- To monitor the application of the chart of accounts and ensure only authorized adjustments are passed into the General ledger.
- Reviewing reconciliations between the General ledger and other supporting systems.
- Initiating, coordinating and maintaining an up-to-date inventory of fixed assets.
- Reviewing payments/balances and ensuring prompt payments of expense creditor accounts.
- Providing management with regular reports on expense creditor payments and creditor accounts and balances.
- Liaise with internal and external audits, and regulators to ensure that all audit actions points relating to financial controls are implemented in full and on time.
- Supporting the Director Finance & Strategy in managing the information systems by ensuring all systems are subject to controls and satisfy the reporting requirements of the business.
- Supervising the implementation of the FCP ( Financial Commercial Paper) and other financial controls.
- Participating in preparation of budgets and forecasts for the Institution and ensure budgets and forecasts are reviewed regularly.
- Ensuring compliance with the local corporate , income and other tax regimes e.g. withholding tax, VAT, reverse tax etc.
- Monitoring, evaluating finance projects and giving feedback to the Director Finance and Strategy.
- Managing staff matters in the Financial Controls, Management Information System and Account payable units of finance department.
- Contributing to maintenance of high professional financial standards in the Institution’s operations.
- Managing a good relationship with other departments to ensure service delivery as per Service Level Agreements (SLA).
go to method of application »
Key roles and responsibilities
- Ensure good relationship with clients is maintained in the process of performing client work.
- Build an understanding of client business. Know and share valuable client info like: Change of key personnel e.g. new C-level joined; Events at client e.g. new product launch, closure of office, etc. while striving to achieve positive feedback from each client through formal and informal mechanisms.
- Business development through Identifying & escalating opportunities for further work while on an engagement while participating in research and in writing proposals.
- Work collaboratively, internally and externally
- Share knowledge and work across boundaries
- Ensure demonstration of cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Ensure risk management through completion of risk management documents and ensure they are signed off and a task code obtained before starting any engagement.
Academic, professional qualifications and Experience
- 2 + years Internal Audit or IT Internal Audit Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, IT or related relevant degree course
- Holds a professional certification such as CIA, CISA, ACCA, CPA etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Team management skills
- Flexible in style and quite willing to learn new ways, methods and approaches
- Ability to adapt methodologies and techniques to unique circumstances
- Self-motivated and is willing to ask probing questions to uncover client opportunities
- Attention to details
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills, ability to organize and motivate others as well as work in a multi-cultural environment
- Great Inter-personal skills, quick to learn and result oriented
Method of Application
Use the emails(s) below to apply
If your career aspirations match this exciting opportunity, please forward your application letter and CV to the email below quoting the email on the subject of the email on/before 10 September, 2021. Only applications submitted through the email address stated in the advert will be considered.
*Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.