Absa Bank Limited (Absa) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Barclays Africa Group Limited. Absa offers personal and business banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking, wealth and investment management as well as bancassurance.
Read more about this company
To deliver entry level actuarial support services through the execution of predefined objectives as per agreed standard operating procedures (SOPs).
Administrative and operations support: Provide administrative and operations support against standard operating procedures | Ad Hoc duties: Provide support to customers and team as required on an ongoing basis | Compliance and Risk Management: Fulfil all activities in adherence to relevant control and compliance requirements, and quality standards.
Bachelor's Degree: Business Management
go to method of application »
The role holder is responsible for applying data mining techniques, doing statistical analysis, building high quality prediction algorithms, developing analytical reports and devising analytical solutions to use cases and data science problems. This will involve the ability to create sophisticated, value-added analytic systems that support revenue generation, risk management, operational efficiency, regulatory compliance, portfolio management, and research.
- Perform statistical analysis; deploying models on large data sets.
- Conduct exploratory data analysis
- Demonstrate strong understanding of agile delivery.
- Develop code with Spark via PySpark or SparkR
- Perform queries, aggregations, joins, and transformations using Spark, Hive, and Pig.
- Develop new data sets using feature-engineering techniques.
- Deliver value by creating functions, classes, and packages to automate processes and workflows for production deployment.
- Evaluates user request for new/modified programs to determine feasibility, cost and time required, compatibility with current system, and computer capabilities.
- Transform large, complex datasets into pragmatic, actionable insights.
- Leverage data to identify, quantify and influence tangible business gain
- Implement analytical model designs, perform any restructuring required, and review dataset implementations performed by the data engineer and BI developers.
- Selecting features, building and optimizing classifiers using machine learning techniques
- Data mining using bank selected data mining tools
- Enhance data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for advanced analysis
- Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in reports, dashboards and charts
- Creating automated anomaly detection systems and constant tracking of its performance
- Implement statistical data quality procedures or test-driven approach for quality assurance
- Challenge ideas and methods while working together with talented, highly skilled team members.
- Design, create, interpret and manage large datasets to achieve business goals
- Design, build, and maintain various parts of the data warehousing with respect to requirements gathering, data modelling, metric establishment, reporting production, and data visualization.
- Gather and process raw, unstructured data at scale into a form suitable for analysis then consolidate into the data warehouse in order to perform Business Intelligence and advanced analytics.
- Evaluate datasets for accuracy and quality using statistical data quality procedures, software, or test-driven approaches that ensure quality assurance and solve any issues, which may arise.
- Improve data foundational procedures, guidelines and standards and develop best practices for data management, maintenance, reporting and security.
- Conduct performance tuning to be able to optimize the application of statistical models and scripts
- Develop and maintain documentation/manuals on models developed, reports generated and statistical solutions devised.
- Carry out technical user training as required to enable users interpret Data Science solutions
- Ability to take personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
- Assist in developing and implementing a program of continuous improvement of Data processes through a cycle of analysis of existing systems, processes, and tools, identifying areas for improvement, and implementing high-impact changes, and getting feedback from stakeholders.
- Understand Key Performance Measures and Indicators that drive company performance measurement, reporting, and analytics across functions and understand how these metrics and measures align and track against overall business strategies, goals and objectives.
- Work with Business Customers to understand business requirements and implement solutions and with business owners to develop key business questions and to build datasets that answer those questions.
- Assist to analyze business/use case requirements from BI analysts to determine operational problems, define data modeling requirements, gather and validate information, apply judgment and statistical tests and develop data structures to support the generation of business insights and strategy;
- Provide test interfaces for users to test the reports and dashboards before being put on the production environment.
Education and experience required
- Degree in Mathematics/statistics, data sciences or related quantitative fields is preferred (or equivalent on-the-job experience).
- 1 – 2 years technical experience
Knowledge and skills
- Data-oriented personality
- Knowledge of agile software development process and performance metric tools
- Experience extracting and cleaning text in different formats e.g. HTML, pdf files
- Proven ability to collaborate with other team members across boundaries and contribute productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view. Able to use strong interpersonal and teamwork skills to cultivate effective, productive client relationships and partnerships across organizational boundaries.
- Knowledge on the Hadoop Data Platform and using Scala for big data analysis
- Proficient at queries, report writing and presenting findings
- Knowledge of ETL and data integration tools
- Knowledge of merging technological trends in programming languages and other programming tools
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM and Decision Forests
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as R, Weka, NumPy, MatLab, etc. Excellence in at least one of these is highly desirable
- Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL, Hive, Pig
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase
- Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Good scripting and programming skills
Higher Diplomas: Business, Commerce and Management Studies (Required)
go to method of application »
End to End proactive management of a portfolio of medium criticality ( level 3) IT services to fulfill business demand and SLAs; manage the delivery of service management and improvement activities which delivers additional value or efficiencies to IT services.
Accountability: Parameter Maintenance and Logical Access Management
- The prime responsibility is for maintaining parameters on applications to ensure that Technology can effectively meet targets in accordance with planned business objectives.
- The accountability also has a responsibility of analyzing existing parameter set up issues and problems to determine ways to maximize on system capabilities.
- The accountability has the responsibility of ensuring that new parameters and amendment of existing parameters are thoroughly tested and signed off before effecting them onto production
- Finally, the accountability has the responsibility of maintaining Logical Access Management on the non-core banking systems
- Optimize the use of the IT products to deliver tangible benefits to business units and customers
- Provide holistic management of availability that includes people and processes as well as technology
- Take actions to achieve reductions in frequency and duration of incidents that impact IT availability
- Ensure shortfalls in new LAM requirements are recognized and appropriate corrective actions are identified and progressed
- Provide regular reports on parameter set ups and LAM activities to the Head of Service Management
- Organize and maintain a regular review process with both key business and IT representatives
- Act as a coordination point for changes to parameters of applications when needed
- Determine the level of parameter change requirements from the business for new or enhanced IT applications
- Establish measures and reporting that reflect business, user and IT support requirements with regards to parameterization
- Participate in Change Control meetings to assess and authorize changes from an parameter and LAM perspective
- Maintain contacts with the offshore support teams
Accountability: Test Management
- Responsibility is to ensure that proper testing occurs for all Application changes released into the production environments
- Work closely with product teams, IRM and the UAT teams
- Review new products and develop appropriate parameters
- Test new LAM requirements
- Compiles and Review the Testing Deliverables
- Conduct parameterisation procedure tests
- Coordinate user acceptance testing
- Coordinate back out testing
- Conduct supporting documentation review
- Compile test results
- Conduct test review
- Coordinate live proving activities
- Validate and communicate results of testing activities
Accountability: Business Liaison
- Single point of contact for one or more business units to represent IT services.
- Identify service needs for the Business Units represented to IT
- Escalate Business unit service issues to the Service Manager
- Assist in SLA negotiation efforts with Business Unit(s)
- Report on quality of services rendered to Business Unit(s)
Accountability: Risk Management
- Build relationship with country Technology Risk and Compliance team and provide support wherever required.
- Contribute and deliver to the improvement of the risk profile by delivering improved governance, risk management, controls and compliance requirements.
- Devise and implement an effective plan to deliver a satisfactory risk and audit profile for Operations & IT and achieve audit and assurance targets.
Accountability: People Management
- Responsible for driving own Performance Development, collating relevant documentation, preparing for and arranging reviews.
- By utilizing skills matrix, identify training and development requirements, formulating own plan to be agreed with team leader.
- Responsible for ensuring own plan is completed within agreed timescales.
- Undertake all necessary training in order to perform the role to the required standards, including gaining accreditation where appropriate
- Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Absa Policies and Policy Standards. Understand and manage risks and risk events (incidents) relevant to the role
Education and experience required
- Undergraduate or higher
- 3 years IT experience minimum
Knowledge and skills
- ITIL v3 Certification
- Minimum 5-10 years experience in IT exposure
- Minimum of 2 year service management experience
- Translate Bus Requirements to Tech Solutions (Solid)
- Negotiation Skills (Solid)
- Strategic Thinking (Solid)
- ITIL – Governance Framework (Solid)
- Communication Skills (Written and Verbal) (Solid)
- Subject matter expertise (Solid)
- Understand the IT service delivery within a corporate environment (Advanced)
- Conceptual thinking skills (Solid)
- Ability to analyze, make decision and initiate act (Solid)Persuading and influencing
Further Education and Training Certificate (FETC): Physical, Mathematical, Computer and Life Sciences (Required)
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Note: Never pay for any training, certificate, assessment, or testing to the recruiter.